• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2020-2021

Pirate Pete

1/10- can't believe he kept getting game time. Constantly passing to the other team. I think without him we would have done better.
I'm more inclined to agree with Wombat.
I felt a bit sorry for the kid at times. I'm certain he was never signed as a starter in the first place.
Probably signed to be nurtured as one for the future.
Who would you have picked in his place? Someone who was fit and available to play that is.

Wombat

I'm more inclined to agree with Wombat.
I felt a bit sorry for the kid at times. I'm certain he was never signed as a starter in the first place.
Probably signed to be nurtured as one for the future.
Who would you have picked in his place? Someone who was fit and available to play that is.

The Korean should have played in his spot.

Ads

Same old story as every year with the hard working players.

We chase and chase and by the time we need to pass we don’t have the focus, concentration and ‘options’.

Put Stens in a team that defends standing up and moving forwards and he would fit in fine.

He worked his arse of and those he tackled hard and stole the ball by the time he got up with the ball the majority of time was under pressure in the mix of it.

Nothing like the loose passes with no pressure at the start of games that we saw from a few other players.

Pirate Pete

The Korean should have played in his spot.
All well and good. Only 15 starts. And Staj obviously thought he was more useful shoring up the defence.
Let's face it the team would have been different with a fit Duric & Lee.

**Actually 15 starts and 5 sub appearances is probably more than I thought. What with missing the games after lockdown.

Last edited:

style_cafe

I think Stens had a pretty good debut season and got stronger towards the end.
Sure he stuffed up a few times, as do all debutants (including Matty Ryan and Sainsbury),but he never gave up and tried for whatever time he was on.

Also ,looking at his stats he wasn`t subbed very often, so Staj had a belief in him or he wasn`t injury prone.
I`d give him a 6/10 for the season.
Although I expect he`ll improve a lot next year so I hope we tie him down for a while....:popcorn:

booney

Stens like Melling always gave his all for the team.Strong in defence and covered a lot of ground,perhaps more than he should have but he was covering for Silvera,Oar and Clisby when the latter was caught upfield.His passing is average but much better than Melling and he has the potential to improve as he settles into his position and teams up with Nisbet who is a good passer.When he wins possession he needs to lay off to Nisbet as soon as he can so he is not attempting difficult passes.However there will be match situations where he has to be able to pass under pressure so hopefully he will improve this part of his game. Jedinak was not a great passer either but carved out a a pretty impressive career.

Insertnamehere

Stens like Melling always gave his all for the team.Strong in defence and covered a lot of ground,perhaps more than he should have but he was covering for Silvera,Oar and Clisby when the latter was caught upfield.His passing is average but much better than Melling and he has the potential to improve as he settles into his position and teams up with Nisbet who is a good passer.When he wins possession he needs to lay off to Nisbet as soon as he can so he is not attempting difficult passes.However there will be match situations where he has to be able to pass under pressure so hopefully he will improve this part of his game. Jedinak was not a great passer either but carved out a a pretty impressive career.
The Jedi or Paartalu model is perfect for him. Big strong lad, good at tackling, needed to screen in front of the defenders and then lay off to the playmakers.

Wombat

I think Stens had a pretty good debut season and got stronger towards the end.
Sure he stuffed up a few times, as do all debutants (including Matty Ryan and Sainsbury),but he never gave up and tried for whatever time he was on.

Also ,looking at his stats he wasn`t subbed very often, so Staj had a belief in him or he wasn`t injury prone.
I`d give him a 6/10 for the season.
Although I expect he`ll improve a lot next year so I hope we tie him down for a while....:popcorn:

Not terrible and shows heaps of potential. I also give him a 6.

Its not his fault that a shit owner decided not to buy an experienced CB and not his fault that an exasperated Coach tried to paper over the cracks in Central defence with his best CM.

I give Staj a 6 as well. Playing his FB's too high up for their abilities and this mark him down on a reasonable.....(compared with Mulvey) season.

onto it

Not terrible and shows heaps of potential. I also give him a 6.

Its not his fault that a shit owner decided not to buy an experienced CB and not his fault that an exasperated Coach tried to paper over the cracks in Central defence with his best CM.

I give Staj a 6 as well. Playing his FB's too high up for their abilities and this mark him down on a reasonable.....(compared with Mulvey) season.
Apart from the huge numbers of crap players we had in last seasons team, I think many of the difficulties arise from the 4222 formation that was played a lot, As pointed out by someone earlier, our fullbacks are not world class, fit or fast players who can get up and down all day while dribbling past players and making pin point crosses. Nope, they were often found too far forward when they needed to defend, or too far back when they needed to attack. The midfielders had a lot of ground to cover. Stens covered most of that ground.
As pointed out earlier, Stens pasted over the deficiencies of both fullbacks, centrebacks and other midfielders (KIm & Ziggy being the exceptions for me). There was just a lot of space out there to cover. When you run 12 klms in every game, you get tired and motor coordination suffers.
I recall watching one game when the commentators were having some pokes at supposed poor passes and blamed the passer. The bigger issue, one that reflects the abysmal levels of fitness, commitment and enthusiasm in most of the team, is that when a pass is made into space, a good pass, the intended receiver just stands and looks at it. That for me is the story of the team.

turbo

I think many of the difficulties arise from the 4222 formation that was played a lot

For me that formation and the way Kim was deployed were the two things I didn’t necessarily agree with Staj on but it’s hard to tell if that was what he wanted to do or if he just thought it made the best use of the lot we had.

Maybe things would have played out differently if GG didn’t get injured early because it looks like Staj intended to use him at the back. When he came back we had a lot of CMs and gaps elsewhere so I can see why he might have been tempted by that formation. Would be quite happy to never see it again though.

priorpeter

Hopefully we announce sone re-signings at the Medal Dinner tonight

No official announcements last night, and as said above a little bit difficult while negotiations around the salary cap and CBA continue.
Definitely worth keeping your eyes peeled over the next week or 2 though :)

turbo

Birraz worries me the most, Izzo left Adelaide and that leaves one less experienced local keeper in the musical chairs game. We can’t risk having an inexperienced or poor #1. Kennedy is still far too recent in memory.

Josho Howe

Great night last night. Birraz and Ziggy cleaning up was no surprise. Our clear 2 best players l thought. Ziggy also gave our table some time to say thanks on behalf of the playing group for all the support and how much he appreciates it. Great fella and a leader. I'd be giving him the armband next season for sure.

FFC Mariner

Great night last night. Birraz and Ziggy cleaning up was no surprise. Our clear 2 best players l thought. Ziggy also gave our table some time to say thanks on behalf of the playing group for all the support and how much he appreciates it. Great fella and a leader. I'd be giving him the armband next season for sure.
Credit to Ziggy - always at Pluim to support CCMA. Wonder if he is eyeing off coaching down the track?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred