• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

Pirate Pete

I caught a bit of the game last night.
Got me wondering if Roar would have Young & Crocombe there next season after Fowlers departure.
I quite like Young. Can't really remember seeing Crocombe play, but he kept Young out for a while

Pirate Pete

I believe you mentioned it would be O/S not another A league club. Has the COVID situation changed it since? Would be a big boost if we could retain him.
Wasn't PP, but someone who was sat near him on the plane coming back from Adelaide I seem to recall.
Was it Spain or maybe Greece?

priorpeter

I believe you mentioned it would be O/S not another A league club. Has the COVID situation changed it since? Would be a big boost if we could retain him.

Yep - never said he was leaving but did say he wouldn’t leave to join another HAL club, would only move on if he received an OS offer. Would imagine, as you say, that COVID has dampened any chances of that.

turbo

Yep - never said he was leaving but did say he wouldn’t leave to join another HAL club, would only move on if he received an OS offer. Would imagine, as you say, that COVID has dampened any chances of that.
Nice. We could do a lot worse than signing him for say 2 years with the provision for a modest fee if there's an OS offer if thats what it takes to get the job done.

pjennings

I would be pretty sure that the money was behind the issues of letting a lot of good players go. I suspect that someone thought we could do better than Tommy with the same amount of money or get two for the price of one.
I also fear that we may have even less to spend on the squad for next season hence the doubts about Ziggy and Milan.
Apart from the rich teams the new tv deal is going to hit clubs hard, especially those the rely on it to pay their players.
This belt tightening will hurt us more than most, but we will not be alone.

Hungry times are coming.

We need to be smart and start recruiting and retaining well, including into the Academy and develop our transfer income.

Let's assume transfer fees are coming in for intra-league as well as OS transfers. Now may be the time to target underpriced decent aged visa players looking for a relatively Covid safe environment. The same goes for OS based Australians and indeed Academy players.

Perform well here for a year or 18 months and then transfer for a decent fee here or back OS with a fairer valuation.

There are always bargains to be had. How hard the club looks and how extensive are the clubs contacts is the variable here.

turbo

Let's assume transfer fees are coming in for intra-league as well as OS transfers. Now may be the time to target underpriced decent aged visa players looking for a relatively Covid safe environment. The same goes for OS based Australians and indeed Academy players.

Perform well here for a year or 18 months and then transfer for a decent fee here or back OS with a fairer valuation.

With Indian teams targeting A league players more we should be looking to them and other emerging leagues as a potential selling market. Push ourselves as being an English speaking, safe destination and professional league to put themselves in the window for Asia.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I would be pretty sure that the money was behind the issues of letting a lot of good players go. I suspect that someone thought we could do better than Tommy with the same amount of money or get two for the price of one.
Tommy was probably seen as very risky given his injury record and his asking price. He could very easily have taken a huge part of our funds but sat on the bench. I hated to see him go but I couldn't hate the club for that decision.

I also fear that we may have even less to spend on the squad for next season hence the doubts about Ziggy and Milan.

Looks like everybody might have less - but we HAVE to keep some of the decent players. Other clubs are going to be keeping far better players than that under a reduced cap, and if we're not keeping Ziggy and Milan, then we will have literally no core players next season.

but I wonder if a significantly reduced cap may increase mobility which could benefit us? Or if the fact that we'll be completely undesirable will negate that....

Ancient Mariner

Some clubs will be dragged down, however clubs like Sydney who have strong sources of funds apart from the tv distribution will be less affected. I see a massive divide forming between the rich and the poor.
The Aleague could end up like the Scottish league was years ago, Celtic and Rangers and then daylight.

turbo

I wonder if this could possibly put us on the same playing field as everybody else, cap-wise? This could be just what we need to shake the stigma?
If they really drop the cap (Not floor) to 1.6m as SBS reported it will make us more despised as we’ll be seen as the slowest member of the herd holding everyone back. If anything it will fuel the arguments for stripping our license. It won’t be a good thing for us. Not to mention there will still be exemptions.

pjennings

If they really drop the cap (Not floor) to 1.6m as SBS reported it will make us more despised as we’ll be seen as the slowest member of the herd holding everyone back. If anything it will fuel the arguments for stripping our license. It won’t be a good thing for us. Not to mention there will still be exemptions.

I can see the floor dropping to 1.6m. I think the cap will drop to around 2.4m - but with some allowance to allow for existing contracts and of course marquees. We have probably spent around $1m depending on our DDS contribution and we still much of our spine to be signed.

midfielder

Taken from previous posts.

2021 - (7)
Clisby
De Silva
Kuol - scholarship
Murray
Pearce
Rowles
Tongyik

2022 - (4)
Miller
Nisbet
Silvera
Stensness

Add ... Ruiz-Diaz & Gordon & Birighitti

Thats 14 players with say Clisby, De Silva, Pearce & Murry struggling IMO to make the bench.

Kuol, Miller, Nisbet & Silvera could become future stars ..

Put an experienced spine in this team, Centre Back, Striker and maybe Duric to run the midfield and we should finish further up the ladder...

priorpeter

Taken from previous posts.

2021 - (7)
Clisby
De Silva
Kuol - scholarship
Murray
Pearce
Rowles
Tongyik

2022 - (4)
Miller
Nisbet
Silvera
Stensness

Add ... Ruiz-Diaz & Gordon & Birighitti

Thats 14 players with say Clisby, De Silva, Pearce & Murry struggling IMO to make the bench.

Kuol, Miller, Nisbet & Silvera could become future stars ..

Put an experienced spine in this team, Centre Back, Striker and maybe Duric to run the midfield and we should finish further up the ladder...

Milan has confirmed he’s leaving and I wouldn’t be so sure on Ziggy staying either tbh. From the sounds of Simmo’s interview after the WSW game, he may well be on for another season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami