• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

FFC Mariner

Interesting debate on BBC 5live the other day podcast talking about Jose at Spurs - they reckoned that these days, fire and brimstone rev ups wont work on millenial footballers and you need to make them feel loved and set an example
Tommys performances are true leadership and hopefully all of our young players look up to him and learn

Reactions: adz

Big Al

I think Oar has been in our top 3 players every game this season. Would you risk bringing in an unknown when we already have his quality? Unless he is asking a lot more money for an extension being in form and captain.
Yeah. He’s another connar pain.

Tries hard but can’t beat anybody regularly.

He won’t end up with a total of more than 5 in assists or goals. 6 games so far no assists no goals. We need more

His skill is the cross. He hits one or two good ones a game and we don’t play a striker so bit of a waste.

I know it’s an unpopular opinion but we need real quality up front. If you can grab quality overseas player and keep him great

Give me a meizeski or leroy George type

Tevor

Yeah. He’s another connar pain.

Tries hard but can’t beat anybody regularly.

He won’t end up with a total of more than 5 in assists or goals. 6 games so far no assists no goals. We need more

His skill is the cross. He hits one or two good ones a game and we don’t play a striker so bit of a waste.

I know it’s an unpopular opinion but we need real quality up front. If you can grab quality overseas player and keep him great

Give me a meizeski or leroy George type
I agree he needs some goals or assists to his name. He has a powerful shot we just don’t see enough of it. I’m on the fence, I like the energy he is bringing however the odd goal and assist would be beneficial.

MagpieMariner

I agree he needs some goals or assists to his name. He has a powerful shot we just don’t see enough of it. I’m on the fence, I like the energy he is bringing however the odd goal and assist would be beneficial.
To get assists, you need someone hitting the inside of the net. Maybe with Jair, he'll get some.

Forum Phoenix

Interesting debate on BBC 5live the other day podcast talking about Jose at Spurs - they reckoned that these days, fire and brimstone rev ups wont work on millenial footballers and you need to make them feel loved and set an example
Tommys performances are true leadership and hopefully all of our young players look up to him and learn

Yeah I’ve heard exactly this from other elite coaches and players too.

I think Oar has been sensational. Was very good on Fox after the game the other night.

Wont bang in a bunch, but he can get a decent amount of assists, just needs a target to hit as he’s usually the first to break with little or no support.

Josho Howe

Definitely agree the old style of football coaching of abusing players and making them go out there playing pissed off coz that's what apparently will make them perform better isn't in fashion anymore. Some can argue it's about the newer generation being a bit more sensitive than previous ones and the players not being 'ard enough, but that's just a change in mentality that's not just happened in football and sport, but in life. Especially men and men's mental health being something that is finally taken seriously.

I know l sure would prefer a pat on the back, a few nice words and then explaining things in a calm manner what you did wrong and can improve on next game than abuse for everything done wrong and ignoring any of the good things.

Tim

Definitely agree the old style of football coaching of abusing players and making them go out there playing pissed off coz that's what apparently will make them perform better isn't in fashion anymore. Some can argue it's about the newer generation being a bit more sensitive than previous ones and the players not being 'ard enough, but that's just a change in mentality that's not just happened in football and sport, but in life. Especially men and men's mental health being something that is finally taken seriously.

I know l sure would prefer a pat on the back, a few nice words and then explaining things in a calm manner what you did wrong and can improve on next game than abuse for everything done wrong and ignoring any of the good things.
Couldn’t agree more, Josh, and that is where we have such an advantage with Staj in my view. You only have to listen to him speak to see why he would be such a good man manager and a coach players want to play for. As I’ve heard (and said) before, Staj will prove to be our best signing this year and possibly ever given the dire circumstances he walked into...

FFC Mariner

Retain our current squad with the same or players at the same level, replace the expensive dead wood with quality and are we top 4?
A proper striker and we would have 2 more wins and 5 more points (Wanderers away and scum at home)
We deservedly got beaten by City and Adelaide but while there will be a few down moments this season it wont be the relentless depression of the last 3

Tevor

I recall Arnie saying the turning point in his coaching career was becoming a good man manager, would have been a big change from his playing days and how his mangers treated him. Staj certainly does come across as a person who has good people management skills.

I look at some of the new managers in the HAL this season, Verbeek and Mombaerts both look cool under pressure I would guess do not use the "peel the paint off the walls" half time speech to lift the players. Very positive comments from the players about these two and their teams are playing very well at the moment and before the season I'll admit I didn't expect these two teams to be setting the pace. Marcus is a bit to open about his team and players performance in my opinion however he is always interesting to listen to however not at the same level of Verbeek and Mombaerts IMO.

turbo

Retain our current squad with the same or players at the same level, replace the expensive dead wood with quality and are we top 4?
I’d say we’d land in the 4th to 8th range if we get things right. We’re still going to be competing with an uneven playing field of funds and that impacts depth and flexibility. If we’re all firing we can have a good run, a key injury or two would really hurt our progress. If we can be a consistent chance and put some distance on the spoon that’s a good short term goal.

Michael

You’re taking the piss if you think we’re better off without Tommy Oar right now and in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: adz

pjennings

Definite starters to resign for 2+ years
Birighitti
Duric
Oar

Definite starters - haven't seen enough but likely
Eun-sun
Gordon as a CB next to Kye

Fringe players - not seen enough to decide
Fox
Majok
Stensness

Fringe player upgrades

Miller
Nisbet

Not played
Roberts (wait and see)
Jair (wait and see)

To go in January or at the end of season.

Shabow - I have never seen enough - maybe others have
Melling - I thought he improved markedly last season but he is now behind too many in an area that Staj has strengthened for him to get game time. He needs to me for his own career.
McGlinchey - again he is now behind too many. Maybe time for an Asian or Mid-East payday
Matty Simon (role within the club)

Michael

Birighitti
Duric
Oar

Eun-sun
Gordon as a CB next to Kye

Fox
Majok
Stensness

Fringe player upgrades

Miller
Nisbet

Not played
Roberts (wait and see)
Jair (wait and see)

Shabow - I have never seen enough - maybe others have
Melling - I thought he improved markedly last season but he is now behind too many in an area that Staj has strengthened for him to get game time. He needs to me for his own career.
McGlinchey - again he is now behind too many. Maybe time for an Asian or Mid-East payday
Matty Simon (role within the club)

I’ve been thinking a lot about Shabow and when he has played for us. He does have ability, but I don’t believe aleague level. Not enough to be a regular for anyone. He could get another pro deal somewhere in asia.
Melling on the other hand I’m adamant his days are done at a professional level. He could get a decent per game rate at NPL level being an ex full timer and he is a good guy so I wish him luck.
I’d love to see matty given a role at the club and play for CCU in NPL3 or something. He’d cop some shit but he won’t care.

turbo

My 2c on those 3:
Shabow - Didn’t do much for me. My impression wasn’t overly negative either it’s more meh. Probably a reasonable squaddie but when you’re operating on an oily rag I don’t think that’s a luxury we have. My greater concern would be who is he stopping us from having a look at. I’d rather be looking for a young attacking mid with some creativity and spark but needing a bit of polish and conditioning. Perhaps a young Metcalfe, DDS or Mcgree type player looking to break through. Someone we can bring on when the experienced AM’s legs are done but we still need to look for goals. It’s good business too because that’s a player you can make money on. Shabow never struck me as that guy.

Melling - It depends on his acceptance of his position in the team and attitude. I don’t think he’s a terrible squaddie to have and maybe with some work he could be our Broxham, capable of stepping in to DM or the back line but not chuck his toys if he doesn’t get a run. That said you could make the same argument I made about Shabow and I’d find it hard to argue, I guess I feel like a no nonsense backup DM needs less X factor than a creative role.

Mcglinchey - Our biggest recruitment hangover issue. Had some good moments in preseason then nothing since. Unlike Shabow and Melling who would be tolerable budget friendly squad players he won’t be on a cheap wage and takes up a visa space. Freeing up one of our 5 visa slots gives us a heap of options for addressing specialty positions where we might need to overpay or are locked out of the market for locals in short supply. That will be more important than ever with Macarthur joining the comp.

pjennings

Macarthur, and indeed any club, can approach the 16 players six months before the end of their contract. I think most contracts expire 31/5 so by Sunday they are free to be approached. Time to lock in Birighitti, Duric & Oar at a minimum.

Wombat

I’ve been thinking a lot about Shabow and when he has played for us. He does have ability, but I don’t believe aleague level. Not enough to be a regular for anyone. He could get another pro deal somewhere in asia.
Melling on the other hand I’m adamant his days are done at a professional level. He could get a decent per game rate at NPL level being an ex full timer and he is a good guy so I wish him luck.
I’d love to see matty given a role at the club and play for CCU in NPL3 or something. He’d cop some shit but he won’t care.

Shabow has a lot of ability and is capable of being a useful squaddie but he is not someone you could build a team around. Jacob is in the same basket.

Both useful squaddies and both very nice people.

At NPL level both would excel.

Wombat

Birighitti. YES
Duric. YES
Oar. YES

Eun-sun. YES
Gordon as a CB next to kye. YES. He is on a 3 year deal anyway.

Fox YES
Majok. NO
Stensness. YES

Fringe player upgrades

Miller YES
Nisbet YES

Not played
Roberts (wait and see). WAIT.
Jair (wait and see). WAIT

Shabow - I have never seen enough - maybe others have. SQUAD. MIN WAGE.
Melling - I thought he improved markedly last season but he is now behind too many in an area that Staj has strengthened for him to get game time. He needs to me for his own career. NO.
McGlinchey - again he is now behind too many. Maybe time for an Asian or Mid-East payday. NO.
Matty Simon (role within the club). NO. Take over security at CCS.

I would cut Tonyik on what I have seen and resign GG.

Big Dog

I think if we could get some great quality in front of goal then Tommy Oar would be an interesting proposition at left back. It's a problem area for us, he runs all day and has a great left sided cross. I don't think he is creative enough in the midfield but he likes to get his head down and run and thrives with a bit of space.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami