Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Central Coast Mariners FC' started by pjennings, Apr 12, 2019.

1. FFC Mariner

FFC Mariner Well-Known Member

Interesting debate on BBC 5live the other day podcast talking about Jose at Spurs - they reckoned that these days, fire and brimstone rev ups wont work on millenial footballers and you need to make them feel loved and set an example
    Tommys performances are true leadership and hopefully all of our young players look up to him and learn

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. yorkshireman

yorkshireman Active Member

He was having a meal in Terrigal the other week with Muzza and Kye. They seemed like a tight knit group which was good.
    Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Big Al

Big Al Well-Known Member

Yeah. He’s another connar pain.

Tries hard but can’t beat anybody regularly.

He won’t end up with a total of more than 5 in assists or goals. 6 games so far no assists no goals. We need more

His skill is the cross. He hits one or two good ones a game and we don’t play a striker so bit of a waste.

I know it’s an unpopular opinion but we need real quality up front. If you can grab quality overseas player and keep him great

Give me a meizeski or leroy George type

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tevor

Tevor Well-Known Member

I agree he needs some goals or assists to his name. He has a powerful shot we just don’t see enough of it. I’m on the fence, I like the energy he is bringing however the odd goal and assist would be beneficial.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. MagpieMariner

MagpieMariner Well-Known Member

To get assists, you need someone hitting the inside of the net. Maybe with Jair, he'll get some.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Forum Phoenix

Forum Phoenix Well-Known Member

Yeah I’ve heard exactly this from other elite coaches and players too.

I think Oar has been sensational. Was very good on Fox after the game the other night.

Wont bang in a bunch, but he can get a decent amount of assists, just needs a target to hit as he’s usually the first to break with little or no support.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Josho Howe

Josho Howe Well-Known Member

Definitely agree the old style of football coaching of abusing players and making them go out there playing pissed off coz that's what apparently will make them perform better isn't in fashion anymore. Some can argue it's about the newer generation being a bit more sensitive than previous ones and the players not being 'ard enough, but that's just a change in mentality that's not just happened in football and sport, but in life. Especially men and men's mental health being something that is finally taken seriously.

I know l sure would prefer a pat on the back, a few nice words and then explaining things in a calm manner what you did wrong and can improve on next game than abuse for everything done wrong and ignoring any of the good things.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tim

Tim Member

Couldn’t agree more, Josh, and that is where we have such an advantage with Staj in my view. You only have to listen to him speak to see why he would be such a good man manager and a coach players want to play for. As I’ve heard (and said) before, Staj will prove to be our best signing this year and possibly ever given the dire circumstances he walked into...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. FFC Mariner

FFC Mariner Well-Known Member

Retain our current squad with the same or players at the same level, replace the expensive dead wood with quality and are we top 4?
    A proper striker and we would have 2 more wins and 5 more points (Wanderers away and scum at home)
    We deservedly got beaten by City and Adelaide but while there will be a few down moments this season it wont be the relentless depression of the last 3

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Tevor

Tevor Well-Known Member

I recall Arnie saying the turning point in his coaching career was becoming a good man manager, would have been a big change from his playing days and how his mangers treated him. Staj certainly does come across as a person who has good people management skills.

I look at some of the new managers in the HAL this season, Verbeek and Mombaerts both look cool under pressure I would guess do not use the "peel the paint off the walls" half time speech to lift the players. Very positive comments from the players about these two and their teams are playing very well at the moment and before the season I'll admit I didn't expect these two teams to be setting the pace. Marcus is a bit to open about his team and players performance in my opinion however he is always interesting to listen to however not at the same level of Verbeek and Mombaerts IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

I’d say we’d land in the 4th to 8th range if we get things right. We’re still going to be competing with an uneven playing field of funds and that impacts depth and flexibility. If we’re all firing we can have a good run, a key injury or two would really hurt our progress. If we can be a consistent chance and put some distance on the spoon that’s a good short term goal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

You’re taking the piss if you think we’re better off without Tommy Oar right now and in the foreseeable future.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  13. pjennings

pjennings Well-Known Member

Definite starters to resign for 2+ years
    Birighitti
    Duric
    Oar

Definite starters - haven't seen enough but likely
    Eun-sun
    Gordon as a CB next to Kye

Fringe players - not seen enough to decide
    Fox
    Majok
    Stensness

Fringe player upgrades

Miller
    Nisbet

Not played
    Roberts (wait and see)
    Jair (wait and see)

To go in January or at the end of season.

Shabow - I have never seen enough - maybe others have
    Melling - I thought he improved markedly last season but he is now behind too many in an area that Staj has strengthened for him to get game time. He needs to me for his own career.
    McGlinchey - again he is now behind too many. Maybe time for an Asian or Mid-East payday
    Matty Simon (role within the club)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

I’ve been thinking a lot about Shabow and when he has played for us. He does have ability, but I don’t believe aleague level. Not enough to be a regular for anyone. He could get another pro deal somewhere in asia.
    Melling on the other hand I’m adamant his days are done at a professional level. He could get a decent per game rate at NPL level being an ex full timer and he is a good guy so I wish him luck.
    I’d love to see matty given a role at the club and play for CCU in NPL3 or something. He’d cop some shit but he won’t care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

My 2c on those 3:
    Shabow - Didn’t do much for me. My impression wasn’t overly negative either it’s more meh. Probably a reasonable squaddie but when you’re operating on an oily rag I don’t think that’s a luxury we have. My greater concern would be who is he stopping us from having a look at. I’d rather be looking for a young attacking mid with some creativity and spark but needing a bit of polish and conditioning. Perhaps a young Metcalfe, DDS or Mcgree type player looking to break through. Someone we can bring on when the experienced AM’s legs are done but we still need to look for goals. It’s good business too because that’s a player you can make money on. Shabow never struck me as that guy.

Melling - It depends on his acceptance of his position in the team and attitude. I don’t think he’s a terrible squaddie to have and maybe with some work he could be our Broxham, capable of stepping in to DM or the back line but not chuck his toys if he doesn’t get a run. That said you could make the same argument I made about Shabow and I’d find it hard to argue, I guess I feel like a no nonsense backup DM needs less X factor than a creative role.

Mcglinchey - Our biggest recruitment hangover issue. Had some good moments in preseason then nothing since. Unlike Shabow and Melling who would be tolerable budget friendly squad players he won’t be on a cheap wage and takes up a visa space. Freeing up one of our 5 visa slots gives us a heap of options for addressing specialty positions where we might need to overpay or are locked out of the market for locals in short supply. That will be more important than ever with Macarthur joining the comp.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pjennings

Macarthur, and indeed any club, can approach the 16 players six months before the end of their contract. I think most contracts expire 31/5 so by Sunday they are free to be approached. Time to lock in Birighitti, Duric & Oar at a minimum.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Wombat

Wombat Well-Known Member

Shabow has a lot of ability and is capable of being a useful squaddie but he is not someone you could build a team around. Jacob is in the same basket.

Both useful squaddies and both very nice people.

At NPL level both would excel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Wombat

Wombat Well-Known Member

I would cut Tonyik on what I have seen and resign GG.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. pjennings

They both have another year to run.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Slimbo

Slimbo New Member

I think if we could get some great quality in front of goal then Tommy Oar would be an interesting proposition at left back. It's a problem area for us, he runs all day and has a great left sided cross. I don't think he is creative enough in the midfield but he likes to get his head down and run and thrives with a bit of space.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 1