• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Greasy Chip Butty Song

Part_Timer

it only takes one whinger dibo...and a song is lost forever

i agree you see some great songs that could take off and then some one says "thats gay" and  :fireup: its gone

Atomic

OK lads, what's the solution??? It's seems too easy to call someone who disagrees with you a "whinger" or a "knocker" but the fact remains that we are still going around in circles. I've been interested in this (and similar threads) for a while now and here's what I think...

1. No one will ever post a song that everyone agrees on
2. There are forum members that are against the posting of songs in the first place, believing that it is something that should happen naturally within the crowd on game day.
3. Some songs will never succeed due to their fast beat and complicated lyrics
4. Some forum members don't want to sing songs that are associated with other teams, eg, You'll Never Walk Alone

I can see merit in posting a variety of songs and I applaud the folks who are wanting to add a bit of creativity to this forum. However, we are being spoilt by choice and as a result are getting nowhere fast.

For my part, I've tried to add to the debate by coming up with ideas. I suggested Sailing by Rod Stewart (see point 1. above... lol) and I suggested that we narrow the choice down to 3 or 4 songs and vote on one song and put all our efforts into making it work next season.

So, to reiterate my point... what is the solution??? Are there any creative minds out there willing to definitively answer that one?

Bex

Yeh, no worries Dibo. I don't get upset easily.

Heres my two cents:

1. Make a list of songs that seem to work at the games. (I would do that except I don't know what does 'cos I don't sit in Bay 16 - happy to do that at the first home game in V4)
2. Print a couple of hundred (thousand?) handouts of the words to take to the game.
3. Before game starts, leave them strategically on seats around the ground.

I will do both 2 and 3 but probably need a bit of help with 3.

Sure, I know people have rubbished the idea of printing out words, but I don't think it will hurt and I think its worth a try. If it doesn't work, try something else (or extra) next time.

dibo

Ill take your post from back to front:

Atomic said:
I can see merit in posting a variety of songs and I applaud the folks who are wanting to add a bit of creativity to this forum. However, we are being spoilt by choice and as a result are getting nowhere fast.

For my part, I've tried to add to the debate by coming up with ideas. I suggested Sailing by Rod Stewart (see point 1. above... lol) and I suggested that we narrow the choice down to 3 or 4 songs and vote on one song and put all our efforts into making it work next season.

So, to reiterate my point... what is the solution??? Are there any creative minds out there willing to definitively answer that one?

I think maybe we're coming at things from different angles.

Atomic said:
1. No one will ever post a song that everyone agrees on
I agree wholeheartedly. However, if enough people sing it, it stays.

Atomic said:
2. There are forum members that are against the posting of songs in the first place, believing that it is something that should happen naturally within the crowd on game day.
Thats not quite right. Post ideas by all means (check my posts, I post as many ideas as anyone), but I firmly believe that an anthem of the scale of 'you'll never walk alone' or similar will not be determined by a poll.

We could have all the polls we like but unless people sing the songs then it won't be much of an anthem. Not everyone singing in the bay is on here, not everyone on here sings in the bay.

I think the most useful thing about posting songs on here I think is that you can post a video of what youre after, and you can get feedback on the lyrics.

Atomic said:
3. Some songs will never succeed due to their fast beat and complicated lyrics
Some songs arent well suited because the rhythms a bitch, its true, but for the lyrics its more true to say that they won't succeed without some serious effort. That means making an effort to sing new things in the pub before matches or when away games are on, singing on buses and trains to games etc. As I see it, only by practicing the songs will we get a critical mass of people to sing them. Only by repeating them enough times will people pick the songs up in the ground. It takes work to get it right.

Atomic said:
4. Some forum members don't want to sing songs that are associated with other teams, eg, You'll Never Walk Alone
Agreed, and I'm one of them.

From where I stand, Im always keen to get us singing new things. Im often hearing a song on the radio or whatever and rewriting the lyrics in my head to something Mariners related. I hear songs over the telly from OS matches and wonder how we might adapt them. But the simple problem is that unless we get enough people singing the song, when you start something in the bay people look at you like youre a Novocastrian (i.e. you have two heads).

If you want something sung, post it on here, tell a few mates, sing it in the pub a few times, let people know how it goes. Singing it in the pubs the most important bit people can learn new songs in there, its harder in the ground unless the rest of the bay is singing it, songsheets or no.

P.S: For the record, I'd actually quite like us to do the chip buttie song (which is kinda why I posted it to begin with), using whatever type of lyrics we settle on.

dibo

Bex said:
Yeh, no worries Dibo. I don't get upset easily.

Heres my two cents:

1. Make a list of songs that seem to work at the games. (I would do that except I don't know what does 'cos I don't sit in Bay 16 - happy to do that at the first home game in V4)
2. Print a couple of hundred (thousand?) handouts of the words to take to the game.
3. Before game starts, leave them strategically on seats around the ground.

I will do both 2 and 3 but probably need a bit of help with 3.

Sure, I know people have rubbished the idea of printing out words, but I don't think it will hurt and I think its worth a try. If it doesn't work, try something else (or extra) next time.

Practical issues aside, sussing out our strongest songs is a good idea. Developing them, teaching them as far and wide as possible is essential.

Look at what the scum did well the other day -

(lots of claps in time) *JETS*
NEW-CA-STLE
Come on Newcastle (claps)
Jump up for newcastle, ole (which I don't hesitate to say rocked the farking casbah)

None of those are terribly special songs, but in the words of Darryl Kerrigan "It's what they do with them". In the battle between creative and loud, loud won by knockout. But no fault there, they did the job.

If of the songs we do well already, we tried to pick a few to try to teach more widely and get more of the crowd in then we could/should be able to boost the noise quite a bit. Thats really a question of boosting participation.

Creative is a slightly different question, with a different answer that I put more in my other post.

Atomic

dibo said:
P.S: For the record, I'd actually quite like us to do the chip buttie song (which is kinda why I posted it to begin with), using whatever type of lyrics we settle on.

After listening to the chip butty song a number of times, I also think it has a lot of potential. Apart from the lyrics, one thing I'd like to see done with our version is rather than finnishing abruptly on the "ooh", just repeat the first verse using the "na, na, na, na, naaa"'s. This kills two birds with one stone... you don't have to worry about being a decent singer and people don't need to know the words to join in. Everyone knows the tune and I think it may be a good way to introduce the crowd into mass participation.

Bex

dibo said:
Practical issues aside, sussing out our strongest songs is a good idea. Developing them, teaching them as far and wide as possible is essential.

Look at what the scum did well the other day -

(lots of claps in time) *JETS*
NEW-CA-STLE
Come on Newcastle (claps)
Jump up for newcastle, ole (which I don't hesitate to say rocked the farking casbah)

None of those are terribly special songs, but in the words of Darryl Kerrigan "It's what they do with them". In the battle between ‘creative’ and ‘loud’, loud won by knockout. But no fault there, they did the job.

If of the songs we do well already, we tried to pick a few to try to teach more widely and get more of the crowd in then we could/should be able to boost the noise quite a bit. That’s really a question of boosting participation.

Creative is a slightly different question, with a different answer that I put more in my other post.

The Newcastle example is a good one. It looks bad on paper (or on a forum) but what counts is whether it gets sung at the game or not.  It either needs to be dead simple or it needs to be a very familiar tune with some way of communicate the words to everyone. The latter will take some effort even if the words are pretty easy. Some songs probably won't catch on and that is the time to drop them and try something else if necessary.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred