• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Know who your friends R

midfielder

This is from the NRL pages and shows what I have been saying for a while about the NRL wanting a better relationship with football.

It is very telling especially in the AFL / NRL battle of the codes,

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

AFL falls behind on the Gold Coast
By Stuart Honeysett

June 07, 2008 FAR from feeling threatened by having an A-League team on the Gold Coast, Titans managing director Michael Searle believes it could be a fatal blow to the AFL's hopes of establishing a club on the tourist strip.

The prediction came after Football Federation Australia this week all but rubber-stamped the addition of a Gold Coast club for the 2009-2010 season.

With the Titans already well entrenched and supported in the area, Searle believes the AFL may leave its run too late when it arrives in 2011.

"I think what it does is put incredible pressure on the AFL," Searle said of FFA's plans to back a Gold Coast proposal from millionaire property and mining magnate Clive Palmer.

"This manoeuvre would be giving the AFL second thoughts about coming into this market.

"There's a finite amount of revenue here as far as sponsorship and hospitality goes and soccer's clearly got a jump on AFL now in the market."

There has been no love lost between the NRL and AFL as they battle for control of south-east Queensland.

The pair went to war early in 2006 with a dispute over Carrara Stadium. The NRL accused the AFL of running interference on the ground's configuration. In 2007 the AFL scheduled a maximum of 10 games for the Kangaroos over three years while the Titans played their inaugural season at Carrara.

Since then the AFL has committed to establishing a team in the area in 2011 and it wasreported the league will use big salaries to lure untried teenagers from other codes.

While the AFL also has plans to establish a club in western Sydney in 2012, Searle said the real battle will be fought on his doorstep.

"Clearly they've shown their hand in regards to scheduling, they've shown their hand on a number of issues of running interference in our inaugural year," Searle said.

"This is going to be a long, drawn-out battle. I'm still not convinced the war of the codes is going to be based in western Sydney, I still think the battle is for southeast Queensland.

"They've clearly drawn a line. They're going to put $30million into development in this area. We put $600,000 a year.

"We need to be strong and we won't rest until we're as strong as we possibly can be."

Searle decided against biting back at some comments from Palmer, who claimed his A-League club would be more successful than the Titans.

Given Palmer's club wants to play at the Queensland Government-owned Skilled Park, of which the Titans are the main tenant, Searle said he was hopeful the pair could work together.

"To me, soccer feeds off our legacy, which is a brilliant stadium," Searle said.

"I would hope that we would be able to work closely with the soccer franchise in whatever capacity. I'm not sure what sort of relationship we'd have with them, but I would think it would be one we'd work in collaboration together."

The NRL and the A-League have shown they can work in unison with the Newcastle Knights enjoying a close relationship with the Jets.

Knights chief executive Steve Burraston is known to catch up regularly with Jets chief executive John Tsatsimas and chairman Con Constantine while the players have shared training sessions.

The NSW Government owns EnergyAustralia Stadium but leases it to the Knights and they in turn sub-lease it to the Jets.

"We don't see them as a competitor," Burraston said.

"It's a summer sport against a winter sport, it's a different demographic. We attract different audiences and we more than likely attract different sponsorship and corporate supporters as well. I'm quite happy to co-exist with them and we have a pretty cosy relationship."

NRL chief executive David Gallop remains confident in his own product.

"We realise soccer or football is the major international game but we back our game and the people of the Gold Coast to remain loyal to the Titans," Gallop said.

"We were under pressure to put a team at the Gold Coast but waited until the infrastructure was in place and the work had been put into community involvement. On any measure they've been an outstanding success and the other codes must take them on to beat them."

kevrenor

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

AFL falls behind on the Gold Coast
By Stuart Honeysett ...............................

The NRL and the A-League have shown they can work in unison with the Newcastle Knights enjoying a close relationship with the Jets.

Knights chief executive Steve Burraston is known to catch up regularly with Jets chief executive John Tsatsimas and chairman Con Constantine while the players have shared training sessions.

The NSW Government owns EnergyAustralia Stadium but leases it to the Knights and they in turn sub-lease it to the Jets.

"We don't see them as a competitor," Burraston said.

Ho, ho, ha, ha, he, he, huh?
You have got to be having a lend of us you guys!
What you reckon Mr C?

FFC Mariner

Maybe not a serious competitor while Con is involved but introduce a cashed up billionaire with the ability to hire a quality back office and bye bye Knights

coast

Doubtfull, there will always be a place for league in newcastle. IMO league, union, afl and football can co-exist easily. But i also have no doubts, that football will be gain the largest market share within the next 10 years.

thomas477

There is a simple way the knights and jets get along.
One is in Summer, the other Winter, simple as that.

Andy

thomas477 said:

Then what is going to happen when the A-League gets bigger and the two overlap?

thomas477

Andy said:
thomas477 said:

Simple.
Jets fans go to Jets games, Knights fans go to Knights games.
Some people are fans of both.
Duh.

Andy

thomas477 said:
Andy said:
thomas477 said:

Simple.
Duh.

I wasn't just talking about crowds.

duh

thomas477

Andy said:
thomas477 said:
Andy said:
thomas477 said:

Simple.
Duh.

I wasn't just talking about crowds.

duh

Simple, the ground wont be as good as its been.

duh

clarence

Isn't Con on the stadium trust or something? Meaning that the Knights have to deal with HIM, not the other way around, when getting access to the ground is concerned.

Which code of football would get the first game on the pitch when both are playing ona particular weekend?

FFC Mariner

I think you will find that the ground is leased to the Knights and then sublet to Con (who is less than good about paying too).

In the case of a conflict, Jest lose. As witnessed by the shitty pitch they have to put up with early in the season

serious14

Fire up the ROFLCOPTOR for David Gallop........... "oh, we realise that big bad effnik sokkah is the World Game, but please stay loyal to us because.... ummmm...... please??"

Wanker.

Jesus

Jesus
I think that the biggest part of this article has gone unnoticed
"We realise soccer or football is the major international game but we back our game and the people of the Gold Coast to remain loyal to the Titans," Gallop said.

We even have the head of the nrl calling it football. That is a good sign they are taking us very seriously.

Jolly_Roger

It is interesting the amount of comments i read on various forums relating to the A-league v NRL/AFL and how they play in different seasons and therefore are not in direct competition with each other. Both NRL/AFL and A-league supporters maintain similar sort of views.

The truth is that they are in direct competition for the junior playing base which play during winter at all locations around the country. Personnally i am happy that nrl/alf supportors appear to be somewhat ignorant of this to their detriment.

The battle of the codes will be fort at grass roots level, not at the elite level.

loyalist

How so?
Football has had immense numbers at grassroots levels for years compared to nrl but it hasnt come close to it at the elite level

Jolly_Roger

I think 30 years of poor administration at the top has had alot to do with that. 

Things at the top are starting to sort themselves out. We have a decent national comp with youth league coming in. Kids now have something decent to be apart of. Therefore junior retention within the game as either players or supporters for the future is important. Kids/parents need to identify the positives in steering down the football path. The FFA has a role to play here which is where the battles of hearts and minds will take place. 

This is just my opinion. I do know that unless the foundations of football in this country are sound, the game at elite level is going to be shakey.

midfielder

Jolly_Roger said:
I think 30 years of poor administration at the top has had alot to do with that. 

Things at the top are starting to sort themselves out. We have a decent national comp with youth league coming in. Kids now have something decent to be apart of. Therefore junior retention within the game as either players or supporters for the future is important. Kids/parents need to identify the positives in steering down the football path. The FFA has a role to play here which is where the battles of hearts and minds will take place. 

This is just my opinion. I do know that unless the foundations of football in this country are sound, the game at elite level is going to be shakey.

Agree

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred