• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Kanwal Player suspended for a year

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Well...........

That's probably to be expected :D

Funnily enough, telling a referee to open both eyes tends to elicit a similar response, as I discovered last season :p

Part_Timer

in my defence father time was reffing...haaha heat of the moment thing, from a very poor tackle on me, still got the free kick...(y)

Sym

I screamed at a linesman across the other side of the field "What f--king game are You watching" when offside was called to get a yellow

grendel

From the Daily Telegraph of 19 June 2008.  I've left names out as I'm sure we don't need to worry about identities, just principles.

The report said a Kanwal Rovers reserve grade player has been banned from playing for 12 months after an incident with a Central Coast Soccer.

He pleaded guilty in Wyong Local Court to assault charges relating to the incident.

"*** grabbed ****'s shirt, raised his fist and said, "If you give me a red card, I'll punch your f**king skull in"...."

The article goes on to quote the statement of facts saying the player received  a yellow card about 50 minutes into the game.  Five minutes later he committed a second bookable offence and was given a second yellow card.  It was at that point that he grabbed the referee's shirt with his left hand and held his right hand in a fist, level with the referee's head.  The referee immediately abandoned the match.  The accused freely admitted grabbing the shirt, holding up the fist and making the verbal threat saying he was very upset at the time.  He has yet to appear for sentencing.

Since CCF make no public comment whatsoever about everything related to disciplinary matters and all players and officials are similarly prevented from doing so, would someone like to hazard a guess as to why CCF find him guilty of a simple threat while, according to the law of the land, he is guilty of assault?  CCF seem to be placing themselves in some sort of exalted position above the law.  When are we going to get some common sense from their decision making apparatus???

A player who maliciously assaults a referee should never be allowed to play the game again...This guy got essentially the same or a more lenient sentence than DAnny for an offence that was infinitely worse.

Bear

grendel said:
A player who maliciously assaults a referee should never be allowed to play the game again...

Since when has grabbing a shirt and making a threat been classed as "malicious assault"?

grendel

Bearinator said:
grendel said:
A player who maliciously assaults a referee should never be allowed to play the game again...

Since when has grabbing a shirt and making a threat been classed as "malicious assault"?

Don't forget holding a fist in front of the referee's face as he threatened to punch him...Forgive me but that's a really dumb question especially since the law recognises it as an assault.  Perhaps if you're ever in that position you'll see the wisdom of it.

marinermick

grendel said:
Bearinator said:
grendel said:

Don't forget holding a fist in front of the referee's face as he threatened to punch him...Forgive me but that's a really dumb question especially since the law recognises it as an assault.  Perhaps if you're ever in that position you'll see the wisdom of it.

haha, bear is in that position every week - just fronm the other perspective

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

grendel said:
Since CCF make no public comment whatsoever about everything related to disciplinary matters and all players and officials are similarly prevented from doing so, would someone like to hazard a guess as to why CCF find him guilty of a simple threat while, according to the law of the land, he is guilty of assault?  CCF seem to be placing themselves in some sort of exalted position above the law.  When are we going to get some common sense from their decision making apparatus???

A player who maliciously assaults a referee should never be allowed to play the game again...This guy got essentially the same or a more lenient sentence than DAnny for an offence that was infinitely worse.

I agree that what he did was far worse than what Danny did, and if you're going to compare the 2 incidents, the Kanwal player should have been suspended for much, much longer, when considering the relative severity of both incidents. 

Usually it's local leagues that cop relatively longer suspensions, not shorter ones :D

Anyhoo, in answer to your question, it's to do with the way the (Absolutely ridiculous) send-off codes are written.

Offences by Players and Team Officials against Match Officials
CODE DESCRIPTION
R20 Threatening or Intimidating a Referee or Assistant Referee by Word or Action
R21 Tripping a Referee or Assistant Referee
R22 Pushing with open hand, shoulder or hip
R23 Striking with the Ball or other Object
R24 Striking, Kicking or Elbowing
R25 Spitting
R26 Use of Offensive, Insulting or Abusive Language or Gestures

As you can see, R20 would be the most appropriate.  Unfortunately there's no simple code for 'assaulting a referee', which is why it was addressed more seriously under the law than CCF's judiciary.

Probably a good example of why having these send-off codes are such a stupid idea in the first place - the way the categories are set up probably make the incident sound less severe than it was. 

As for CCF's judiciary getting some common sense, I would venture to suggest that will happen on the same day that diving becomes completely eliminated :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred