• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Kanwal Player suspended for a year

Gopher of Pern

From the other thread:

dibo said:
Davo said:
The Reserve Grade Wyoming V Kanwal game was crazy, I'm sure you'll hear all about it Jimmy. 2 red cards to Kanwal with the game being abandoned early in the 2nd half because a Kanwal player grabbed the referee and was about to hit him.

Eggy said:
The know the kanwal bloke he's gunna have hard time at the jury he's got a poor record with refs.I think its the same player who a few yrs back was involved in a small scuffle he won free kick but was givin a yello :yellowcard: for his involvement.  After a big talking to by ref he tried to take quick free kick ended up hitting ref in the back off his head so the ref thought it was deliberate gave him a red :redcard: so he took his boot off and threw it at him!!!!!!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Player faces life ban after attack on referee

Wednesday 9 April, 2008 12:01am

A KANWAL reserve grade player faces a possible lifetime ban from the game after an attack on a referee on Sunday.

Striker Shane Eastham is expected to front the Central Coast Football Association judiciary this week after the incident in the match against Wyoming at Mascord Oval, Kanwal.

Central Coast Football referees director Greg Harmsworth said young referee Thomas Klein was shocked when the incident occurred early in the second half.

"He made a decision on a foul which meant a second yellow card for the Kanwal player," Harmsworth said. "The Kanwal player grabbed the referee's shirt and clenched his fist as if he was going to punch him. He also had some harsh words before the referee broke away."

Klein declined to comment about the incident.

Players from both sides then intervened and, shortly after, the game was abandoned with Wyoming leading 2-0 10 minutes into the second half.

Police were called and were still investigating the incident when the Express Advocate went to print. Kanwal Warnervale Rovers Football Club president Ross Ankrett described the incident as "extremely disappointing" and not good for the game.

"It's not good for the club, player or referee," Ankrett said.

"He felt he got a few decisions go against him. He felt hard done by and in the heat of the moment lost the plot.

"After he calmed down he realised his mistake."

Eastham said in a statement on Monday: "I acted out of frustration and deeply regret my action," he said.

"I've not only let myself down but my team and the club."

Central Coast Football's director of judiciary Garry Peterson said the matter would be heard "as soon as possible."

"I'm hopeful a hearing will take place this week or very early next week at the latest," Peterson said.

Heard on the radio this morning that Shane got a 1 year suspension, with a 5 year good behaviour bond on top of that. I was under the impression he was gone, especially with his prior record. What's the 5 year bond entail? If he does anything in the next 5 years he is out for life?

priorpeter

After danny originally got 15 months, this fellow copped 12, for what was a worse offence - and with a worse prior record? Ahh where is the fairness in life. (I'm not saying this bloke should have copped more - moreso danny cop less! :p)

Kareem

priorpeter said:
After danny originally got 15 months, this fellow copped 12, for what was a worse offence - and with a worse prior record? Ahh where is the fairness in life. (I'm not saying this bloke should have copped more - moreso danny cop less! :p)
priorpeter said:
i guess coz its a national comp (why dnany got more!)
I expected a bit more- although for life would have been extremly hars- but then again it would have sent out a strong signal!!!

Aden

technically we all play the same game under the same rules so whether it is a national comp or a local comp we  have laws of the game which should be obided by and if not then  the penalty should be a worthy one

Kareem

Aden said:
technically we all play the same game under the same rules so whether it is a national comp or a local comp we  have laws of the game which should be obided by and if not then  the penalty should be a worthy one
wat bout this morning- arbeloa (who i rate) was man handling the ref pushing him (not very hard tho)!
Anyone else see that?

FFC Mariner

Grabbing the ref (after getting a 2nd yellow) and clenching a fist is slightly different to pushing his hand away.

With a previous poor record, you would expect a longer ban. Shows how badly the FFA f**ked up with Danny as htey responded to media hype.

dibo

Greenpoleffc said:
Grabbing the ref (after getting a 2nd yellow) and clenching a fist is slightly different to pushing his hand away.

With a previous poor record, you would expect a longer ban. Shows how badly the FFA f**ked up with Danny as htey responded to media hype.

I disagree completely. My views are already known on the Vukovic matter, but this bloke getting 12 months shows CCFA f**ked up here by not punting this fella for a lot longer. The FFA's rule is clear - 12 months to life. This bloke got the minimum possible sentence for a very very serious offence.

Gopher of Pern

I agree with Dibo. There is absolutely no excuse for what the player did. 1 year is a very light sentence. Most people i talked to about it were thinking life. Whether life is too harsh or not...would probably depend on his prior. But he should have gotten at least 3 years. Especially when *hearsay warning* i was told that threats were made to the ref's family. This is not even in regards to Danny, who, IMO, did not do anything nearly as bad as Shane.

What there needs to be is clear guidelines for touching ref's. Something like:
Touching a ref in any manner: auto 6-9 weeks (games?)
Intimidating the ref verbally: auto 4-6 months?
Striking ref in an aggressive fashion: 1 year minimum
Threatening Ref: 1 year minimum
All sentences can be handed out on video evidence and regardless of whether the incident was dealt with on the field.

Something along those lines will mean that there is no way to squirm out of suspensions like Danny and Joel. The touching a ref one will stop everything from mobbing the ref and pokes in the chest If they are enforced. 6 weeks is enough of a slap on the wrist that no one will do it twice.

I'm wondering if any ref's on here are happy with what happened with Shane.

Kareem

well i am a ref...and like I said I expected more! someone said 3 years and that sounds right! oh well! I would be very nervous to be the ref that has him 1st game next year

priorpeter

Greenpoleffc said:

That's exactly what I was alluding to - just worded much better :p

dwight

Sorry Gopher of Pern - not strict enough "Striking ref in an aggressive fashion: 1 year minimum"
that's rubbish would have to be close to a "life" ban in reality especially if not first offence.

We there should be no touching of a ref let alone grabbing threating or intimidation. Any touching should be lloking at least a season. In my opinion CCFA did stuff up here.  

Gopher of Pern

Well, my suggestions were broad guidelines, and remember, striking a ref in an aggressive fashion could include the prod in the chest Muscat did. Would you deem that life?

Thats why i included "touching a ref." A season for touching the ref? a bit much, i reckon, but it does depend on the touch. Giving the ref a sarcastic pat on the shoulder should only be a few months at most. Slapping an arm in disgust.... honestly, 9 months to a year. Whacking a guy in the balls....about the same. Poking in the chest in an attempt to intimidate... 1-2 years.

There are really 2 things to consider, that being intent, and damage inflicted. If their was intent to intimidate the ref, year minimum, possibly 2. Intent to actually hurt the ref should be life...or minimum 5 years. Silly petulant displays, like Danny and Joel, should get at least 6 months, if not abit more.

Dwight, you just picked apart my arguement for the same reason i put it forth: clarity in the rules. They are so open to interpretation that there are going to be inconsistencies. Thats why we need clarification, and possibly harsher sentences.

dwight

I think what we need to do is get it into the heads of players they "can't even touch a ref" and that's the main reason for severe punishment.
Obviously damage inflicted and suffering must be taken into account but if the players know they can't even touch the ref then there is NO excuse for any contact. !!
As dibo said "The FFA's rule is clear - 12 months to life."

BAD BULLZ

Something to consider the jury on shanes case probably never got a chance to see the incident I mean kanwals good but we dont exsactly get fox at every game so the jury would of heard about the instance 2nd hand from both partys with no chance to review.What would happen if it turned out to be not as bad as everyone said but they ban him for life?I think a yr at this level sends a strong msg to all local players with out over reacting to something they did not witness 1st hand.
Can you imadgine if dannys incident was not on tape the appeal would be different the punishment different anything could ov happened!
I think its a fair outcome considering the evidence he's not gonna go near a ref again and if he does he's gone and would have no right to complain.

fish

to be fair egg and I was not there but from all reports he grabbed the ref and threatened him IMO thats far worse than what Danny did second hand evidence or not. It was in the paper today so the CCF are going to have to explain what the f**k happened.Very poor message to young up and coming refs, come ref and you can be man handled and have the player miss a few games but still be able to play again??

BAD BULLZ

I'm not disagreeing or trying to stick up for him just cause he's kanwal.
What he has done is definitly worse then danny i'm just saying it would be a pretty "big" call to suspend him for life.
honestly im not sure i mean if grabbing the ref and threatening gets life that leaves no room for anything worse except mb life and a fine.
Just wondering caz i dont wanna do the math
but how many games does shane miss rnd 1 till end of season
would be close to actual amount of games danny was previously banned for?

I dunno if 1yr is to soft but getting life with out any footage of it would be similar to getting the chair because what you did sounds bad?

p.s love the MARINATOR logo can we make it offical?

Gopher of Pern

Why does there need to be footage of it? I'm sure there were plenty of eyewitnesses who could testify to what happened. I don't think any of the referee's would make something up, and he admitted his guilt anyway. Life would be a big call, but honestly, unless he actually hit the guy and broke his nose or something, what much worse could he do?

Well, in the express advocate today they mentioned that the referees association might be appealing the decision. I don't blame them, because it was a very serious incident, much more so than danny's slap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred