• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Juninho Sydney FC's Million Dollar Lemon

Alicia

0582380800.jpg

By John Taylor

January 02, 2008 12:00am

HE'S the highest paid footballer in Australian sport but Sydney FC are not exactly getting value for money from their $1 million-a-year man Juninho.

The expectations were high on Sydney's marquee player to deliver.

But the Brazilian World Cup winner has played only 784 minutes, hasn't scored a goal and provided just four assists in his nine starts.

And while Juninho is heading to Wellington with the Sydney squad for Friday's crucial A-League game against Phoenix, there's no guarantee he'll be in the starting line-up.

Sydney coach John Kosmina yesterday admitted he had concerns over the little Brazilian's general condition.

"He has not played a lot of football since the game against David Beckham's Los Angeles Galaxy," Kosmina said.

"I am quite happy with the way the team has been ticking over.

"To bring him in you have to change the way you play.

"He's an attacking player and I am always concerned about the defensive match-ups in a game."

Sydney FC chairman Andrew Kemeny couldn't shed any light yesterday on whether Juninho's contract would be extended for another year.

"There's been no decision. It's hard to assess because he has been injured so much and he needs a shoulder operation," Kemeny said.

Kemeny would not divulge whether Perth's Simon Colosimo or Newcastle's Mark Bridge had signed for Sydney FC.

"It's a lot of talk. We have salary cap issues to tackle," he said. "We have serious injuries to Michael Enfield and Jacob Timpano.

"They are not playing and are on contract and we have other players coming off contract."

The club is also in discussions with Kosmina for next season.

Deemed the miracle worker, Kosmina said that he was happy to stay but added: "All I am concentrating on is seeing how far we go (this season)."

Kosmina, whose record stands at five wins, three draws and one loss since he replaced Branko Culina, believes 30 points will secure a playoff spot for Sydney, who are third on 27 points.

"We've got a very tough game coming up against Wellington," he said.

Sydney escaped with a late 1-1 draw against Wellington in round 13.

"They had national team players missing, we had players missing and we played the last 30 minutes with 10 men after Tony Popovic was sent off," Kosmina said.

Kosmina said that he would "sleep on it" whether to recall his English striker Michael Bridges who missed the last match because of flu.

"We have a session tomorrow morning before we fly there but he did complete a hard session yesterday after he had a virus."

Even Wellington, following their upset 3-2 victory over the Newcastle Jets, have a sniff at the playoffs.

"It's a good competition and everyone (apart from Perth) is in touching distance," Kosmina said.

One player who has caught the eye for Sydney in recent games is striker Brendon Santalab.

While Santalab has found it difficult to cement a place up front, he has scored two of the best goals of the season in matches against the Mariners and Adelaide.

FFC Mariner

So does this mean that Harper has been spouting off all season for nothing?? This must mean he is a complete f**k knuckle who knows very little about the game??

Surely not??

serious14

As The Hives once said......

Hate To Say I Told You So.    Minus the hate - this sort of thing makes me laugh...... serves the dipshits right for ever signing him in the first place.  Not to mention he's a whining pansy as well:  "oh boo hoo, it's too physical, why aren't the referees protecting me".  Buh bye Whoninho, don't come back.

Jocwa08

If he leaves that would free up heaps of their cap
I reckon thats how they bought Bridge and Colosimo

P

Pete

The whole saga about Juninho that I find annoys me is this: :popo: :soapbox:
1) Sydney paid way too much for someone of his age - marquee or not, there are very few at that age that can deliver, particularly in the midfield roles.

2) All the media hype took away the media space for OUR up and coming stars, our Olyroos stars etc. Remove the erotic fantasies from the minds or Harper and Cockerill and they will have to talk about the AUSTRALIAN stars of tomorrow. (Although I doubt that Danny, Hutch, Tommy or Jedi would appreciate Harper and Cockerill getting sexually aroused at the mention of their names  :vomit:)

3) Juninho carried a chronic shoulder injury into the contract, and I guess Sydney FC knew bloody well this guy was a crock. He needs an operation but the recovery time off the field, at his age, will probably spell the end of his top line playing career.

BUT... the thing I do like about Juninho being with Sydney FC is that it will more or less force them to put the crock onto the field at some stage to justify the cost, and to get the player to try and show some worth. Jedi knows how to wrap the guy up, so do a few others in other teams. Kossi's free will or not, at some stage the Board and Perry will force Kossi's hand to play him.

Also the aftermath of this signing and Jardel's signing, has quietened down the pre season roar from the media to 'get a Brazilian', hasn't it? :naughty: ;D

serious14

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23043378-5001023,00.html

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!  "Seven figure substitute".

What a waste of money, what a waste of money!!!!

serious14

Bumpage.

Sunday's game once again proved what a horrid waste of money this guy has been....... he was great 5 or more years ago.  He was horridly ineffectual on Sunday - and don't talk to me about that "assist" to Brosque - wtf did it achieve in the end??  If he was the be all and end all as Slater was continually asserting during the commentary, then he would have turned the game in Sydney's favour blah blah blah.

As it was, he spent the game getting in Corica's way.  To use an English analogy, Corica = Gerrard and Juninho = Lampard.  The sooner he is gone the better......

Sean

I thought he had a good game for mine and should not have been substituted when he did.

serious14

Do you honestly think he's worth 1 million dollars though??  For all that he's provided (HA!!!) for Sydney all season??

Corica, Tommy P, Hernandez (once he got into the groove) and Patafta (when given the chance) did an infinitely better job than he, for a fraction of the price.

Sure, he might have been a great player way back when, but the masturbatory nature of the Telegraph's, Harper's, Slater's, and some of Fox Sport's coverage in regard to how he will lift the standard of the A-League and save Sydney's season blah blah blah, is quite simply insufferably annoying.  Especially considering what he hasn't done. (i.e.  a lot)

dru

No he isn't worth $1mil a year. The biggest thing is that he is wasted at a club with no youth development. Imagine what he could of passed on to the academy if he was with us (I'm getting shivers thinking what JA is passing on to them!) but if on 1/10 of that wage would you take him into the team?

But is he really a Lampard? for one he is like a quarter of the size of Lampard.

FFC Mariner

From SMH

Juninho out of semi-final clash with Roar
Email Printer friendly version Normal font Large font February 7, 2008 - 11:51AM

Advertisement
Sydney FC star Juninho is out of tomorrow night's must-win A-League semi-final against Queensland Roar due to injury.

Juninho sat out of today's final training run before officially ruled out by coach John Kosmina following the session.

The former Brazilian international picked up a knock to the knee at training yesterday and was sent for MRI scans this morning.

His loss is a major blow to Sydney FC's chances of progressing in the finals series following last week's scoreless draw in the first leg against the Roar at the Sydney Football Stadium.

The loser of tomorrow night's second leg clash at Suncorp Stadium will be eliminated from the finals with the winner to progress to a preliminarily final clash against either Newcastle or Central Coast

http://www.smh.com.au/news/a-league/juninho-out-of-semifinal-clash-with-roar/2008/02/07/1202234014554.html

adz

Staff member
I hear he does a great job at cutting the half time oranges for the players

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred