• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

It is Tuesday yet? CCM V Scum

adz

Staff member
Come on guys we can have different opinions without getting into a flame war twitter style

giphy.gif

Big Al

Out coached
Out muscled
Out hustled

They killed us in the midfield and suffocated our wings.

Then when the ref didn’t blow fouls, instead of smashing blokes we went to water. That was the softest I’ve seen Matt play.

And we were arsey lucky to win in Newcastle when we never threatened so it’s no real surprise they rolled us.

We play better against the better teams because they don’t street fight and they open up because of they attack and we find space.

As good as our season has been we have been poor against MV and Jets irrespective of whether we won drew or lost. Not sure if it’s mental and we expected to win or what.

Last edited:

pjennings

I'd call it 1.5 - Mulvey was sacked early 2019 but some stuff may have already been locked in hindering Staj. That season we just missed out on the Korean attacker for some reason. But last off season was definitely his to work with and for us to not end up with an obvious starting quality wing on either side suggests design over bad luck.
The Korean attacker - though really looking the goods in pre-season didn't seem to like working that hard in our heat

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Then when the ref didn’t blow fouls, instead of smashing blokes we went to water. That was the softest I’ve seen Matt play.
That's what worries me the most. There's a fine line between 'letting the game flow' and 'not calling fouls' - and Lucas fell well on the wrong side of that line last night. Not just that but he was inconsistent.

Not blaming him for the result, don't get me wrong - I felt like the Bulls game had a similar problem, where the ref was quite lenient and the other team seemed to be more adept at just pushing that line. That's football though.

But that doesn't explain why we didn't fire up at the Jets. At the end of the game they decided to come out real rough against us, and nothing. Those YC fouls should have seen some anger.

Corsair

Olly did shake hands with Staj watch the replay on Kayo. Don’t believe the conspiracy theorists all the time especially after we’ve played the Bulls as sometimes it takes a while to get rid of the bullshit... :popcorn:
You're totally right, i was at the game on the other side of the stadium and it looked different. My bad there, actually that's a relief.

Forum Phoenix

Come on guys we can have different opinions without getting into a flame war twitter style

giphy.gif

Thanks Ads. 100%

It’s a fan football forum. Designed to share news and trade options. I actually tend to agree with Old Spice on this issue but not the fact he likes to back his arguments up with derision.

Doesn’t make your points any stronger Old Spice. But does make them less likely to be heard and for a poorer conversation and forum all round.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

Outcoached
Out muscled
Out hustled

They killed us in the midfield and suffocated our wings.

And we were arsey lucky to win in Newcastle when we never threatened so it’s no real surprise they rolled us.

We play better against the better teams because they don’t street fight and they open up because of they attack and we find space.

As good as our season has been we have been poor against MV and Jets irrespective of whether we won drew or lost. Not sure if it’s mental and we expected to win or what.

Thoroughly agree. I think our squad likely believed they were up for it, but the Scum took it up another notch and were in the kind of do or die mode that only a team not worried about injuries or the future can typically have. We needed to match it. You have little choice unless the referee does it for you. But that was going to be very very hard in our position I now realise.

But, great news, their seasons over. We on the other hand have to beat WU and focus on the finals now. And when we play do or die ourselves, we’ve proven we can roll anyone, (except f**king Brisbane for some strange cosmic reason).

LFCMariners

Thoroughly agree. I think our squad likely believed they were up for it, but the Scum took it up another notch and were in the kind of do or die mode that only a team not worried about injuries or the future can typically have. We needed to match it. You have little choice unless the referee does it for you. But that was going to be very very hard in our position I now realise.

But, great news, their seasons over. We on the other hand have to beat WU and focus on the finals now. And when we play do or die ourselves, we’ve proven we can roll anyone, (except f**king Brisbane for some strange cosmic reason).
The FFA Cup semi final last season against them was do-or-die, if I recall?

style_cafe

I was mortified at the game thinking how bad we played but when I got home and watched the replay it wasn`t as bad as being there.
Urena did do ok and had a decent game.
Hall was a stand out and apart from one bad pass he played really well.
Stensness had a huge game and really stood up to the Jets midfield.
Miller was also very strong when he came on.

Maybe a bit of over confidence crept in but it`s not the end of the world and the conspiracy theorists well,who knows,but it certainly doesn`t help with moral.

It`ll be interesting to watch the results over the next week or so.
The Jets now have something to play for,if they beat Perf and Victory lose or draw against City they can avoid their 4th spoon.
It`s been a great competition all season and with the new TV deal it can only get better... :popcorn:

LFCMariners

I was mortified at the game thinking how bad we played but when I got home and watched the replay it wasn`t as bad as being there.
Urena did do ok and had a decent game.
Hall was a stand out and apart from one bad pass he played really well.
Stensness had a huge game and really stood up to the Jets midfield.
Miller was also very strong when he came on.

Maybe a bit of over confidence crept in but it`s not the end of the world and the conspiracy theorists well,who knows,but it certainly doesn`t help with moral.

It`ll be interesting to watch the results over the next week or so.
The Jets now have something to play for,if they beat Perf and Victory lose or draw against City they can avoid their 4th spoon.
It`s been a great competition all season and with the new TV deal it can only get better... :popcorn:
Jets fans be like:

> Beat Perth and guarantee CCM a finals spot

> Lose to Perth and all but secure the spoon

:pirashoot:

Ironbark

We were actually pretty decent in certain parts of the pitch, most of it, but not the final third. We were useless in the final third. We had our chances and skewed every one of them. If one goal went in I think it would have been game on. But as it went the scum defended admirably and frustrated us instead. Game over.

Ancient Mariner

So. This is where I scratch my head.
Miller and Hatch as wing backs Hall, Ruon and Rowles as the 3

Niz, Stens and Ollie in midfield

Urena and Simon up top
Looks good FFC.
However having inadvertently started this part of the "discussion", I will buy back in.
The point I was trying to make was that Staj's 4222 may have been his answer to deal with the cattle he had in the squad. Maybe this is true maybe not.
To say it was his squad is being a bit tough in my opinion.
He had a squad of players that he could afford and who were willing to play for CCM.
I am sure there were positions he would have liked to cover but I am also sure that in many cases the available players were either too expensive or did not want to come to what has been a graveyard.

4222 worked for most of the season and was what the players understood, so it stayed.
To move to a totally new set up three quarters of the way through a season is just not feasible. I can remember the shambles for many weeks when Arnie changed his formation with us and he had better and more cattle to play with than Staj.

What Staj has done with the squad he has, has been amazing and places him up with the top A-League coaches.
Many here would argue that Arnie was better but look at the difference in the players both had to work with.
I hope we can keep him beyond next season and see him put together a squad with a decent budget. I am sure if that becomes a reality we will not have difficulties attracting players.

Back to FFC's idea. I would love to see that team play with that formation. Maybe next year.
The only change I would make is to put Fornarolli or ALF in Matty's spot. ;-)

Wombat

We’ve had opportunities to recruit wide players and we haven’t. Working with the cattle you’ve got doesn’t fly after 2 off seasons to recruit to change the tactics. If we don’t have any wide players it’s because we’ve recruited to fit the system or expected players to adapt.
Janota and Casella are both wide players.

Big Dog

Looks good FFC.
However having inadvertently started this part of the "discussion", I will buy back in.
The point I was trying to make was that Staj's 4222 may have been his answer to deal with the cattle he had in the squad. Maybe this is true maybe not.
He had a squad of players that he could afford and who were willing to play for CCM.
I am sure there were positions he would have liked to cover but I am also sure that in many cases the available players were either too expensive or did not want to come to what has been a graveyard.

4222 worked for most of the season and was what the players understood, so it stayed.
To move to a totally new set up three quarters of the way through a season is just not feasible. I can remember the shambles for many weeks when Arnie changed his formation with us and he had better and more cattle to play with than Staj.

What Staj has done with the squad he has, has been amazing and places him up with the top A-League coaches.
Many here would argue that Arnie was better but look at the difference in the players both had to work with.
I hope we can keep him beyond next season and see him put together a squad with a decent budget. I am sure if that becomes a reality we will not have difficulties attracting players.

Back to FFC's idea. I would love to see that team play with that formation. Maybe next year.
Not disagreeing with you Mariner. In fact I share a bit of your frustration. I do struggle to understand why a professional football team that trains pretty much every day of the week with an outstanding coach doesn't implement an alternative strategy ie; formation, subtle change in field positions.

The game last night was screaming for it as we were continually being over run in midfield and pressed into playing the ball back towards our own goal. You could predict where every sub was going to play last night before they came on. Gave the opposition nothing different to figure out. Just more of the same.

Wombat

Looks good FFC.

I struggle to believe that Hatch will be a starting 11 level WB after 5 minutes of Football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb