• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

I know...lets call the ISS...it's not THAT much of a long distance call.

Redline

Students call space station with home-built radio
The Canadian Press
February 2, 2009 at 1:57 PM EST

TORONTO Four Toronto college students have accomplished a technological feat that their teachers are calling a first.

The Humber College seniors made contact with the International Space Station Monday with a radio system they designed and built themselves.

School officials say that, to their knowledge, that's never been accomplished by students at the college level.

The project got off the ground about a year ago as the students looked for a way to apply knowledge gained from their radio communication courses.

Four Toronto college students made contact with the International Space Station on Monday with a radio system they designed and built themselves.

After an anxious few hours of waiting for their big moment and a few last-second technical glitches the team sent their signal into space at about 12:29 p.m. Monday.

The first message got no response, but after a crackle of static and a second attempt, the voice of astronaut Sandra Magnus filled the room, and the excited students peppered her with questions.

They had a 10-minute window to talk to Ms. Magnus, during which they asked some technical questions and passed on a few queries from contest winners at the school.

Operation First Contact is the graduating project for 34-year-olds Gino c**ti and Paul Je of Toronto, Patrick Neelin, 25, of Welland, Ont., and Kevin Luong, 21, of Mississauga, Ont.

Excitement and relief, lots and lots of relief, Mr. Neelin said when asked how he felt.

I got maybe an hour of sleep last night going over everything in my head, reflecting on the progress we've made ... and basically how we were told we were crazy and we'd never be able to do this.

One student asked how well the International Space Station is protected from debris, while another wanted to know how it feels to see Earth from space.

Up here I've seen the world from a different viewpoint, Ms. Magnus replied. I see it as a whole system, I don't see it as a group of individual people or individual countries.

We are one huge group of people and we're all in it together.

While school contacts with the space station are routinely made through the Amateur Radio on the International Space Station program, many of those contacts are made using a traditional ham radio.

It's an incredible feat of undertaking and technology, and I'd just like to say I'm really, really proud of this team, said Humber instructor Mark Rector.

They're playing way, way above their league today.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090202.wvspacestation0202/VideoStory/Technology/?pid=RTGAM.20090202.wcollegeradio0202

This is pretty cool. Those guys are a long way up, floating in the ISS, and these school kids made a radio whose signal would reach them. Very cool.

~Floss~

Also his definition of school kids:
"...34-year-olds Gino c**ti and Paul Je of Toronto, Patrick Neelin, 25, of Welland, Ont., ..."

Edit -
Hang on a sec, what was that c**t's name?  :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred