• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

How are the other clubs funded?

adz

Staff member
Just throwing this out there as a question, how are the other clubs funded?

I was thinking about this one as there are always calls for Mike Charlesworth to put his hand into his pocket and throw more funding at the club, but is this how other clubs operate? Are they reliant on one or maybe a few people chucking their own money at it every year?

How does a team like Sydney FC pay for all the marquee players?

What other costs do they have associated with running the club and how are they covered?

I can't imagine this coming from individuals like we are expecting from MC but is this the case?

pjennings

Just a few

Sydney FC - 100% David Travtavenko, Russian oil magnate, net wealth $1 billion
Manchester City - 80% Abu Dhabi United Group, 20% HMS Australia, ADUG is headed by Sheikh Mansour who has a net wealth of $4.9billion while his entire family have a net worth of over $1000 billion
WSW - 100% Paul Lederer and his consortium - CEO of PRIMO, net wealth $635 million
Roar - Bakrie Group - Aburizal Bakrie director estimated net worth is US $ 2.1 billion and he is ranked at first in the list of top 10 richest politician of Indonesia.
CCM - Michael Charlesworth - net wealth - significantly less

Insertnamehere

Just a few

Sydney FC - 100% David Travtavenko, Russian oil magnate, net wealth $1 billion
Manchester City - 80% Abu Dhabi United Group, 20% HMS Australia, ADUG is headed by Sheikh Mansour who has a net wealth of $4.9billion while his entire family have a net worth of over $1000 billion
WSW - 100% Paul Lederer and his consortium - CEO of PRIMO, net wealth $635 million
Roar - Bakrie Group - Aburizal Bakrie director estimated net worth is US $ 2.1 billion and he is ranked at first in the list of top 10 richest politician of Indonesia.
CCM - Michael Charlesworth - net wealth - significantly less
Perth - multimillionaire.
Pretty sure MC is worth sub $50m at best. And that's only worth so that's not liquid. I did once Google his business to suss it but have long since forgotten

Insertnamehere

Just throwing this out there as a question, how are the other clubs funded?

I was thinking about this one as there are always calls for Mike Charlesworth to put his hand into his pocket and throw more funding at the club, but is this how other clubs operate? Are they reliant on one or maybe a few people chucking their own money at it every year?

How does a team like Sydney FC pay for all the marquee players?

What other costs do they have associated with running the club and how are they covered?

I can't imagine this coming from individuals like we are expecting from MC but is this the case?
I would imagine if most other clubs had underspent so badly their teams we're so f**ked that noone came to watch, their owners would also have to delve deep into their pockets as well.

pjennings

I would imagine if most other clubs had underspent so badly their teams we're so f**ked that noone came to watch, their owners would also have to delve deep into their pockets as well.
The difference is that most clubs have owners with very deep pockets.

Ironbark

If the cap were scraped do you think it could attract more investment?
The Red Bull Mariners discussion all over again but would a salary cap removal improve the chances of such a thing or reduce them?

Insertnamehere

The Red Bull Mariners discussion all over again but would a salary cap removal improve the chances of such a thing or reduce them?
Maybe. I'm personally against an uncapped league but the way the FFA have run it, its become a very soft capped league anyway.

Ironbark

Maybe. I'm personally against an uncapped league but the way the FFA have run it, its become a very soft capped league anyway.
I agree. I've never wanted an uncapped league feeling it would be terrible for the poorest clubs. But since it seems like we're going down to a thousand cuts anyway it might be a hail mary

Big Al

I’ve never liked that about football. The rich always win and steal from the poor.

Mariners will struggle to ever be successful but as you point out it’s already the case with SFC MV able to attack better foreign talents.

MC will need another investor to make us competitive

Ancient Mariner

I very much doubt that the salary cap has a great deal of impact over further investment.

The main driver for further investment would be the popularity of the league as a whole and where any potential investor can see an expanding market.
At the moment the popularity is waning and the market share overall will probably not increase with the addition of further teams.
This has been brought about mainly by the publics initial interest in the "new shiny thing" and moving on to the next one. There is no indication that "the sleeping giant" will transition from junior participation to a similar interest in the professional game. At the moment even the most deranged football tragic with money to burn would consider buying a team in the A-League. Unless they could see a future in the long term (longer than I can see for an investment) or they want to pick up a cheap feeder club for youth (eg City). Which is probably a reason why MC is backing Anton in his youth emphasis and is probably the only way CCM will find a buyer for all those who optimistically see selling as a way out.
Our league lives in a sporting market that is very competitive that has many different sports fighting over a very small market. Both the number and popularity of other sports available combined with the small number of consumers presents challenges to a degree that are not seen in the vast majority of other football countries.

The current A-League has been living beyond its means mainly due to inflated tv money and is about to cop a big correction. The current owners think they can protect their investment by running it themselves and offering a superior product. Whether this happens remains to be seen. The idea of uncapped visas will only takes to a competition like where Rangers and Celtic fought for the crown each year.

The current A-League was a great step forward in the league going for a crawling stage to walking. Unfortunately I think it tried to run before it learnt to walk properly with results we are no seeing. I hope I am wrong but suspect many tough times ahead for the league.

What is really needed is for Clubs to be become independently stable and not rely on the finances of their owners that can come and go depending on the owners varying interests or financial stability.
I see the need for smaller grounds, a capped competitive league and a slow build from a strong balanced foundation. Unfortunately I see self interests of the rich dominating and this not happening with much turmoil ahead.

And I am seen as the optimist on this forum. :confused:

Pirate Pete

For anyone saying who would buy an A league club in the current climate.
When I read the article I was a bit busy, but I was sure someone on here would pick it up and post it.

Little more than a year after winning the bid for an A-League licence, billionaire property developer Lang Walker has sold his share in Macarthur Football Club after agreeing to an offer from two local businessman.

If it wasn't for a food truck, the property developer would never have arranged a deal to sell his 50 per cent stake in the football club valued at more than $7 million.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...ague-newcomers-macarthur-20200218-p5421r.html

Michael

When Anton was touted as a possible owner of Wanderers his net worth was reported as being $425m.
I think he may have kicked on since then...:popcorn:

So if Charlesworth is as desperate as he says and his right hand man has more and is worth man than himself.... and Anton is “passionate” about our club?

Um, excuse my French.... but there’s the other f**king investor and possible new owner right f**king there, no?
That blows me away and I can’t deal with it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami