• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Home of Football

Jesus

Jesus
$35 million for football centre of excellence
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

* Font size: Decrease Increase
    * Email article: Email
    * Print article: Print
    * Submit comment: Submit comment

By Tom Smithies

March 18, 2008 12:00am

A $35 MILLION home for football is expected to get the green light within weeks, to be based at ES Marks Field at Moore Park.

Morris Iemma's Cabinet is set to approve the national centre on government-owned land shortly.

It will house cutting-edge medical facilities, a museum of the game and hall of fame, training facilities for the national teams and an administrative centre for Football Federation Australia.

Almost two years after The Daily Telegraph revealed that planning had begun to give the sport a national centre of excellence in this country, FFA chiefs are just waiting on final approval from the State Government.

While the FFA won't discuss the project until it has been officially approved, Government sources have said it has the Premier's backing and the transformation of ES Marks Field will be ratified at Cabinet level "sooner rather than later".

The centre would be a major boost physically and psychologically for the sport, bringing together the administration and high-performance arms of the governing body under one roof.

Currently, training facilities for the national teams are spread across various unsatisfactory locations around Sydney.

The centre demonstrates that the sport has achieved enough of a foot-hold in society to justify the investment of millions of dollars.

Yesterday, a Government spokesman would only say talks had taken place.

"The State Government has had ongoing discussions with the FFA to see how a home of football could be established in Sydney, and ES Marks Field is one possibility that is being considered," he said.

But it's believed FFA chiefs are hoping the project will get public approval around the time of the FIFA Congress in May, to demonstrate to 2500 delegates and sponsors that the game is laying concrete foundations here - in this case literally.

The congress is the FFA's chance to impress FIFA's "parliament", with delegates from every member nation, sponsors and foreign media descending on Sydney for several days.

When the plans were first revealed two years ago they were to be underpinned by a grant of almost $700,000 from FIFA.

Facilities are set to include a 6000-capacity stand for hosting Olyroos and Matildas fixtures.

Last week, FFA CEO Ben Buckley convened a round-table discussion with various Socceroo alumni including Charlie Yankos, Doug Wendt and Kimon Taliadoros and a major element was the creation of a hall of fame and also a museum to celebrate the game's past.

At the moment the "hall of fame" extends only to a dusty row of framed certificates in the FFA's entrance corridor.

A plethora of former players and officials have masses of memorabilia that the FFA would like to see housed in a formal setting.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
does it have to be in the city though???
I  not saying it should be here BUT why Moore park....how about parramatta or somewhere in the Sth / Nth West suburbs where a ton of weekend comps are running

FFC Mariner

Facilities are set to include a 6000-capacity stand for hosting Olyroos and Matildas fixtures

Matildas fair enough, but the Coast has shown that 6,000 for U23's is a joke.

Omni

Yea, I don't know why they'd play the Olyroos there, they should make the smaller A-League venues the Olyroos home grounds, mind you they probably won't play much from 2009 onwards.

Sounds like a GREAT plan though.

coast

Sounds like football is realy starting to gain momentum in Australia. Can't wait too see what the league and national team will be like in 10-20 year's.

Atomic

Greenpoleffc said:
Facilities are set to include a 6000-capacity stand for hosting Olyroos and Matildas fixtures

Matildas fair enough, but the Coast has shown that 6,000 for U23's is a joke.

Give the Matildas a run up at Gosford in a meaningful game. I bet more than 6000 show up.

dibo

midfielder said:
agree with otheres why Moore Park, but is still excellent news.

if i were to write the press release, i'd talk about proximity to the city and being in the heart of the city now but also in a traditional home of football in the city, contrast it with the f**king boondocks (i.e. parklea) and talk about how it's analogous to football's rising status within the sporting market and its return to the hearts of many more australians. football coming home so to speak.

that said, i'm not writing their press releases, so i'm more inclined to be really f**king cynical - it's at ES Marks because that's closer to the lowydome, and if they had've chosen to set up at homebush they could have built themselves something much better in a new and state of the art sporting precinct for much less money.

but hey, i'm sure no matter what it's going to be a great development for australian football.

midfielder

dibo said:
midfielder said:

if i were to write the press release, i'd talk about proximity to the city and being in the heart of the city now but also in a traditional home of football in the city, contrast it with the f**king boondocks (i.e. parklea) and talk about how it's analogous to football's rising status within the sporting market and its return to the hearts of many more australians. football coming home so to speak.

that said, i'm not writing their press releases, so i'm more inclined to be really f**king cynical - it's at ES Marks because that's closer to the lowydome, and if they had've chosen to set up at homebush they could have built themselves something much better in a new and state of the art sporting precinct for much less money.

but hey, i'm sure no matter what it's going to be a great development for australian football.

Know what you mean with the lowydome & homebush remark and agree.

Does anyone know were it is, i.e. the cark park or the field on the way .

midfielder

and another thing about the lowy dome, being at Moore Park.................maybe.............there's a chance ..................the Flying Choppers ................may use the ............facilities .............at an agree rent and prehaps have an office there as well to help fill out all the ofice space created.

But having said all that it is still a great idea

dibo

midfielder said:
dibo said:
midfielder said:

Know what you mean with the lowydome & homebush remark and agree.

Does anyone know were it is, i.e. the cark park or the field on the way .

it's just down anzac pde towards UNSW, across from the netball and tennis courts and next to one of the golf courses.

midfielder said:
and another thing about the lowy dome, being at Moore Park.................maybe.............there's a chance ..................the Flying Choppers ................may use the ............facilities .............at an agree rent and prehaps have an office there as well to help fill out all the ofice space created.

But having said all that it is still a great idea

if it's done at arm's length for commercial rates, no probs.

S

soccersensei

Fantastic news. The future for our beloved code just keeps getting brighter... at LAST!!!

Jesus

Jesus
FC wont train there. There are too many national sides who will be training there.
Had to be moore park or homebush.
Surprise it is not homebush, as far as the training stuff goes. Then again, the olyroos and matildas wont be playing at homebush.
FFA headquarters would not want to be outside the city as far as homebush though.

dibo

voice of reason said:
They definitely need to pick somewhere other than the Eastern Suburbs, preferably somewhere near the M4 or M7

why? not necessarily disagreeing, just wondering what your reasoning is.

MattSimon

If they had all this stuff going on when I was a ankle biter (decent professional league, media coverage, national training facilities) I would be playing for the socceroos right now, instead of having my crowning glory as my crappy brown shirt from Ourimbah United under 10Es and U12s grand final runner up with the mighty East Gossy Rams (I was transfered)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred