• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Hey andy harper football expert

marinersman

serious14 said:
marinersman said:
I can't stand Ange Postocoglu (sp?)  He should, by all rights, have an excellent Football brain and should be able to offer real expert commentary.

You'd think so wouldn't you??    Just remember you are talking about the man who nearly singly handedly destroyed youth football in this country.......

Too right serious. He was a complete and utter disaster in charge of our youth teams and quite frankly it was embarrassing.

He deserved everything he got from Fossie in the now infamous interview.

dibo

marinersman said:
serious14 said:
marinersman said:
I can't stand Ange Postocoglu (sp?)  He should, by all rights, have an excellent Football brain and should be able to offer real expert commentary.

You'd think so wouldn't you??    Just remember you are talking about the man who nearly singly handedly destroyed youth football in this country.......

Too right serious. He was a complete and utter disaster in charge of our youth teams and quite frankly it was embarrassing.

yeah, postecoglou was personally responsible for the whole clusterf**k...

he was the bloke holding the wheel when the wheels fell off, but there's a whole litany of errors over generations that led to the disastrous performances of late. the complete lack of any form of planning or coordination of youth development over many years is the problem, not the silly bastard who was there at the end.

fish

FIFA World Youth Championship Results

Year Result        Pld W D L GF GA
1977 - 1979 DNP
1981 Quarterfinals 4  1  2 1 6  6
1983 Round 1      3  1  1 1 4  4
1985 Round 1      3  0  2 1 2  3
1987 Round 1      3  1  0 2 2  6
1989 DNQ
1991 4th Place    6  5  0 1 6  3
1993 4th Place    6  3  0 2 8  9
1995 Quarterfinals 4 1  1 2 6  6
1997 Round 2      4 2  1 1 5  4
1999 Round 1      3 1  0 2 4  8
2001 Round 1      3 1  1 1 3  4
2003 Round 2      4 2  1 1 6  5
2005 Round 1      3 0  2 1 2  5
2007 DNQ
Total                46 18 11 16 54 63

Im with Dibo as much as I dislike his opinions he is responsible for the team is his tenure not the previous 15 years.We have had guys like Dalgleish,Scheinflug at differing times as well.
As the results table shows(wikipedia) we have had a fair problem for a long long time.
I think it is really an ambition being mixed up with our capabilities issue. As supporters we want our national teams to always do well.We never really know a great deal about the opposition unless they are internationally recognised and yet we assume we should easily beat this team and that.
Possibly those that go on so called scout missions to watch opposition should be held a little responsible also.

northernspirit

marinersman said:

For those of you who havent seen the interview its here:
[flash=200,200]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z6u8LoGpvKk[/flash]

dibo

northernspirit said:
marinersman said:

i think fossie makes a complete cock of himself - postecoglou defends himself and his boys (as you would hope and expect he would) and says that things need to be improved. he isn't unreasonable i don't thinl.

fossie however comes off like the bitter old bastard at the end of the bar who's a shoulda-been-but-never-was, passing his days by taking potshots at those still in the game.

FFC Mariner

dibo said:
marinersman said:
serious14 said:
marinersman said:

he was the bloke holding the wheel when the wheels fell off, but there's a whole litany of errors over generations that led to the disastrous performances of late. the complete lack of any form of planning or coordination of youth development over many years is the problem, not the silly bastard who was there at the end.

Dibs, having seen which way the economic winds are blowing starts getting Kev's excuses in early :)

dibo

Greenpoleffc said:
dibo said:
marinersman said:
serious14 said:
marinersman said:

Dibs, having seen which way the economic winds are blowing starts getting Kev's excuses in early :)

it was the other bloke what done it.

northernspirit

dibo said:
northernspirit said:
marinersman said:

i think fossie makes a complete cock of himself - postecoglou defends himself and his boys (as you would hope and expect he would) and says that things need to be improved. he isn't unreasonable i don't thinl.

fossie however comes off like the bitter old bastard at the end of the bar who's a shoulda-been-but-never-was, passing his days by taking potshots at those still in the game.
spot on dibo, i mean ange deserved a bit of a grilling but fozzie just looked so amateurish the way he went about it and less murray didnt exactly try to calm the situation down either, obviously he is in the fozzie camp... fozzie says some good stuff but hes always so negative, ill give you a nerds analagy cos i know how much you appreciate it lol
if he were a star wars character he would be on the dark side of the force ;)

marinersman

I'm probably on my own here I suspect, but I fully support and agree the majority of the time, what Fozzie and SBS say and what their objectives are. Of course, I don't always agree with everything, but in the main I support their agenda.

Sure, the interview was over the top from Fossie, but as commentators they have every right to criticise (constuctively, I might add) any player, official, coach or aspect of the game. Nobody is immune and as long as it is fair and objective, I don't see a problem. However, the interview bordered on farcical and became personal from both sides and it de-generated from there. Which is a shame because it could have been a very intersting conversation.

Anybody who's been around will know for far too long Football in Australia has been a big boys club with mates helping each other out with vested interests to the detriment of the sport and for their own personal gain. I don't think it exists anymore but I for one am glad SBS for over twenty years have shaken it up with independent and critical analysis.

Sure, they are negative a lot of the time (OK, mostly all of the time), but as all you guys know, what they want to see is a cultural change in the game for the good from grass roots right through to the HAL and the senior National team.

The fact of the matter is we are not good at Football and we all know the reasons why. It may seem negative what they say, but ultimately it will be for the good of the game. Nobody can criticise their devotion and passion for the game and they want the same outcomes we all do. The thing is they can help push and promote the changes necessary and actually educate all of us in the Football community during the process.

In many, many ways the SBS team are continiuing on JW's work and legacy and I don't think they should stop until they succeed.

I'm not saying anyone or anybody should agree with me, it is all about opinions and that's what makes places like our forum so great. I'm not right or wrong anymore than the next bloke and it's very enjoyable to see the different opinions we all have. There are far more knowledgeable posters on this forum than me and there are some great posts and contributions and I enjoy reading what you all have to say.

Some of the contributions every day are fantastic and it makes for great reads and debates.

dibo

i'm not sure they do want progress as much as they want to take potshots at the FFA and fox for their supposed blindness to the flaws of the australian game. being right doesn't mean you're not a jackass (as we all find for ourselves from time to time).

foster in particular doesn't suggest any sensible solutions that aren't already in the works. worse, he tries to pretend the FFA are doing nothing.

it's dishonest and disrespectful to the people who are in there doing the work, as opposed to him sitting there in ranting front of a camera with a windsor knot about to devour his little pin head.

he also never opens his 'i know i said this last week...' rant with the necessary disclosure that he benefited as much as anybody from the foregoing failed systems of the ASF/SA/ASA and his OS career was almost entirely at lower levels in british football, so really who the f**k is he to whinge?

the fact that his ideas are roughly right does not excuse the gross disrespect he shows the entire australian football community by denigrating the work presently being done and the progress that's being made. the fact that results are not yet coming through are more a function of these things taking time to wash through the system than any neglect on the part of the *present* administration.

brett

Sometimes I feel like the only person who views SBS as a grey area rather than black or white, love em or hate em.

It doesn't have to be that way! Dibo has some good snippets there that explain why.

marinersman

dibo said:
i'm not sure they do want progress as much as they want to take potshots at the FFA and fox for their supposed blindness to the flaws of the australian game. being right doesn't mean you're not a jackass (as we all find for ourselves from time to time).

foster in particular doesn't suggest any sensible solutions that aren't already in the works. worse, he tries to pretend the FFA are doing nothing.

it's dishonest and disrespectful to the people who are in there doing the work, as opposed to him sitting there in ranting front of a camera with a windsor knot about to devour his little pin head.

he also never opens his 'i know i said this last week...' rant with the necessary disclosure that he benefited as much as anybody from the foregoing failed systems of the ASF/SA/ASA and his OS career was almost entirely at lower levels in british football, so really who the f**k is he to whinge?

the fact that his ideas are roughly right does not excuse the gross disrespect he shows the entire australian football community by denigrating the work presently being done and the progress that's being made. the fact that results are not yet coming through are more a function of these things taking time to wash through the system than any neglect on the part of the *present* administration.

Things are changing for the good no doubt about it with finally having our technical report. It is worth noting SBS have been on about a technical revolution in Australia for years and years when nobody else would dare mention it.

I just feel sometimes, we as a general Football community, are guilty of dismissing healthy criticism and in turn dismiss those criticising the game. Steps are been taken but nothing has really been implemented yet. Until it hapens we can't stop debating the merits of the implementation.

I'm sure those in charge of the game and those behind the scenes are big enough boys and girls to cop some stick along the way. It's all part of the process to get to where we all want to be. I wouldn't be suprised if there are many invlolved in the administration at all levels who agree with what SBS are saying. 

I'm not suggesting everything SBS say and do is gospel and we should all look at the heavens in thank you. However, we also need to be realistic about the state of the game. I would prefer this to the sugar coating, "everything's fantastic with the world" head in the sand approach Foxtel and News Ltd take. We mightn't like what SBS say, but it doesn't mean they're bitter washed up has beens and coulda beens.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred