• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Help Write Season Preview

pche0508

I'm putting together previews for all the A-League clubs. This is what I've got so far for the Mariners. It isn't complete so I'm looking comments, ideas, contributions etc as well as anyone interested in helping me finish this piece or even write it up themselves:

Key Players Mile Jedinak, Sasho Petrovski, Alex Wilkinson.

Strengths

Although the team has lost vital experience in Pondeljak, Aloi$i and Kwa$nik, the Mariners have experience all over the pitch while the team is also not dependent on veterans that are into their 30s. In terms of age and experience, the Mariners are one of the best balanced teams in the league.
While his performances in the green and gold were unconvincing, Jedinak is still an outstanding midfielder in the A-League. He will be surrounded by a more creative midfield this term with the club signing Elrich and Caceres. The midfield quartet is completed by John Hutchinson and this is probably the area of the pitch that the Mariners are strongest.

Weaknesses

The team is suspect upfront and may struggle to score goals. With Aloi$i and Kwa$nik gone, the Mariners will be depending on the aging legs of Petrovski as well as the injury prone Nik Mrjda. The returning Dylan Macallister doesnt have a great scoring record, either in the old NSL or in the minor leagues of Europe.
While the team is solid and has proven players throughout, there is a lack of exceptional quality in any particular area of the pitch. Sydney is great in central midfield, Queensland looks good on the flanks and Adelaide are excellent in defence, I cant see an area of the pitch where the Mariners are leading the league.

Season outlook The Mainers may struggle to make the finals this year unless one of the strikers can replicate the form of Aloi$i last term.

Breakout player Brad Porter: Despite heading into third season with the Mariners, the youngster is still to establish himself in the first-team. He will be looking to build on his impressive performances towards the end of last season. At 21, regular football will also be vital for his continued development.

Jesus

Jesus
Aloisi didnt score in games we won, unlike petrovski and kwassie. Kwas will be more missed for goals.

With the squad hardly formalised it seems foolish to do a preview. Would be better idea to preview coming off the pre-season cup, so you could see what a player like dylan is like. See the final team list. As well as see who is likely to be playing where. As well as how the team has shaped up against a-league quality sides.

skilbeck

Key Players: Mile Jedinak, John Hutchinson, Adrian Caceres IMO

Strengths
point 1 of strengths is correct
point 2 of strengths is more that we can hold the ball in midfield rather than make something of it. our creativity appears to be lacking, though hopefully Porter can help there.
Add something about the depth and the quality of the squad players that can play in a defensive role like D'Apuzzo, Porter, Clark etc

Weaknesses
Upfront - more or less true but mention Matty Simon
Sydney is good upfront these days
Also add goalkeeping woes due to the Danny situation and the possibility that a decent keeper may not yet be in the fold to cover for it as well as the period of Danny getting some form back

I disagree with the season outlook. Id say its more that we need a playmaker that can replicate the form of Tommy Pondeljak.

I hope Porter can break the starting 11 this year. Also Matt Simon is also worth a mention as a breakout player if he can replicate his olyroo form for us then thats gonne be a massive boost

Sym

Aloisi scored in both Adelaide wins, Wellington final day victory I dunno maybe more aswell

pche0508

Yep I agree, I should have mentioned that the the previews will be completed at the end of the month when the squads will be confirmed. The Mariners already have 19 players (20 according the the official site which still has Gumprecht) so CCM is at most 4 players short of a complete squad. While big signings would significantly affect the preview, that will be taken into account if and when that occurs.

Ted

Tommy P is more of a loss IMO than any other player from last season, especially Aloi$i and we still have announcements to be made!

Aden

MarinaTed said:
Tommy P is more of a loss IMO than any other player from last season, especially Aloi$i and we still have announcements to be made!

agreed  tommy p was prob our most creative midfielder we had  but hopefully  caceras  can add a bit to the creativity area.

dibo

ah, did my own research:

http://australianfootball.wordpress.com/, and in particular this post, which carries the postscript:

P.S. Ive withdrawn this request for help from forums.

huh?

you've deleted your account from SFCU too - what's the story there?

kevrenor

dibo said:
ah, did my own research:
http://australianfootball.wordpress.com/, and in particular this post, which carries the postscript:
P.S. Ive withdrawn this request for help from forums.
huh?
you've deleted your account from SFCU too - what's the story there?

Probably because the ethos at SFCU has basically been bugger off if your not SFC, and we don't want any competition.

My view is the wider views, news and ideas get out the better for football - no matter who is doing it - if someone is a paid journo and using stuff from fans forum as research they are running a huge risk that it will blow right up in their face.

As long as they stay within the forum rules - which are pretty broad, mods shouldn't be too trigger happy!

pche0508

Yes, I was basically told to get pissed by the admin of that forum. Very different to the Roar forum who are helping me put together a the preview. In my post, I also said:

Im still seeking help to write up these previews. There is no point in me pretending to know all the clubs as well as those that follow the team week-in week-out and the quality of the piece will undoubtedly be better with the assistance of those with greater knowledge than myself.

I don't think there is a problem with this thread is there?

Aden

pche0508 said:
I'm putting together previews for all the A-League clubs. This is what I've got so far for the Mariners. It isn't complete so I'm looking comments, ideas, contributions etc as well as anyone interested in helping me finish this piece or even write it up themselves:

Key Players – Mile Jedinak, Sasho Petrovski, Alex Wilkinson.

Strengths

• Although the team has lost vital experience in Pondeljak, Aloi$i and Kwa$nik, the Mariners have experience all over the pitch while the team is also not dependent on veterans that are into their 30’s. In terms of age and experience, the Mariners are one of the best balanced teams in the league.
• While his performances in the green and gold were unconvincing, Jedinak is still an outstanding midfielder in the A-League. He will be surrounded by a more creative midfield this term with the club signing Elrich and Caceres. The midfield quartet is completed by John Hutchinson and this is probably the area of the pitch that the Mariners are strongest.

Weaknesses

• The team is suspect upfront and may struggle to score goals. With Aloi$i and Kwa$nik gone, the Mariners will be depending on the aging legs of Petrovski as well as the injury prone Nik Mrjda. The returning Dylan Macallister doesn’t have a great scoring record, either in the old NSL or in the minor leagues of Europe.
• While the team is solid and has proven players throughout, there is a lack of exceptional quality in any particular area of the pitch. Sydney is great in central midfield, Queensland looks good on the flanks and Adelaide are excellent in defence, I can’t see an area of the pitch where the Mariners are leading the league.

Season outlook – The Mainers may struggle to make the finals this year unless one of the strikers can replicate the form of Aloi$i last term.

Breakout player – Brad Porter: Despite heading into third season with the Mariners, the youngster is still to establish himself in the first-team. He will be looking to build on his impressive performances towards the end of last season. At 21, regular football will also be vital for his continued development.

I wouldnt have  wilko or sasho as our key players.. Maybe  Wilko but i wouldnt say sasho. I'd be leaning more towards hutch jst because of his form last season in centre midfield

pche0508

Wouldn't Sasho be relied on as the main source of goals?

There has been a few comments that Hutchinson will be key. The issue then is will he (or Caceres) fill the void left by Pondeljak or will another signing be necessary?

Matt Simon is still to register an A-League goal although it will be interesting to see if he can continue his Olyroo form.

mariners4ever

but once simon scores that first goal that isnt disallowed, he will fire !!!!!

BTW simon HAS already scored for the mariners, in the pre-season cup

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred