• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Goals Vs Wins

What is the best way to play and win?

• Who cares? winning is winning. as long as we win it doesn't matter how we play.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll be happy with a boring, flat win. 3 points is 3 points

• i want to see goals goals goals and just hope they are ours!

• I'd prefer a close game with lots of excitment that keeps you guessing till the last seconds

• Total voters

beccstar

The hot topic is whether we are playing exciting football and losing or winning but playing boring. Do you think that it is better to just win? or do you like to watch a action packed game?

jaypee

I don't care as long as we win

Ok I do really but lets be honest we all want exiting football but in the end we would rather the 3 points.... Sometimes you have to win ugly...

~Floss~

Who cares.

Let's face it, our lead on the table came from the period of the season where we were being accused of playing "boring."

Since then we have played (supposedly) "the most exciting game of club football ever witnessed in Australia".... but only as a result of incidents that caused the odds to be against us winning.

This season's had a bit of everything football-wise, but now we're in 2nd and there's only a few rounds to go. There's no time left to please anyone's tastes by taking risks.

M

mariners_4_ever

i agree we cannot take any more risks this season
we need to put in 110% or even more and get the 3 points so we can get into the finals!!!!!  :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot: :pirashoot:

beccstar

Agreed.. exactly right. spot on
!!
We don't need to prove to anyone we can play! We know we can. You don't lead the league for weeks and weeks if u can't play.
I can feel the game Vs perth will turn us back around.. Minor Premiership!!!! Is ours

adz

Staff member
Interesting that we have to choose between goals and wins ... does that mean attacking teams don't win? Personally I don't really care much. An early goal is always good and then hang on for the win, or go on to demolish them... either way is fine ;). The issue for me is giving up half way through the game. It doesn't matter if we are 4 goals down, I think we should be pushing the opposition. That would have to be one reason Matt Simon gets such a great reception from the crowd - he never gives up! My 2c anyway.

M

mariners_4_ever

excatly right
need 2 keep a clean sheet and
get up a few nil and its ours
we put our foot through that door and theres no turning back now!!!
come on boys we can do this!!!

agreed with matty simon he never gives up
he doesnt put his head down and sulk because he didnt get it
he gets bak up and keep on with the fight
the kids a legend!!

Atomic

adz said:
Interesting that we have to choose between goals and wins ... does that mean attacking teams don't win? Personally I don't really care much. An early goal is always good and then hang on for the win, or go on to demolish them... either way is fine ;). The issue for me is giving up half way through the game. It doesn't matter if we are 4 goals down, I think we should be pushing the opposition. That would have to be one reason Matt Simon gets such a great reception from the crowd - he never gives up! My 2c anyway.
Couldn't have said it better myself Adz. There seems to be a perception that trying to bang 5 goals past our opponents gives us less chance of winning than trying to stop them from scoring. I'm a fan of attacking football but I'm not saying that this definitely increases our chances of winning because, to be honest, I don't know. I do agree 100% with Adz in that the real issue is to NEVER GIVE UP, and that's why I love the Mariners so much and I think Lawrie has a lot to do with that mentality.

beccstar

i wasn't trying to make people think that goals vs win was a choice. what i meant was is if you look at one of the other topics in australian Football- HAL round 18 you will see for example:
Atomic said:
~Floss~ said:
Atomic said:
A-league = 90 minutes, 90 emotions. Give me goals anyday. If we play exciting football then I believe we'll win more than we lose. I was at the SFS Rd1 where Sasho scored in the 7th minute (from memory) and whilst the remaining 83 were edge of the seat stuff not wanting to concede the equalizer, nothing beats the joy of celebrating a goal. You can argue that the aim is to lift the trophy at the end of the season but I'd rather do it with style, flair and packed stadiums. Grinding out results admirable but life is short and I want passion and joy  :piralaugh: :pirashoot:

So you'd be happy if the remaining 3 games are as "exciting" like the last two 7+goal "thrillers" (losses), and we come in 4th - or even 5th - to Qld, Syd, Newcastle and maybe Adelaide?

I think most will agree that it would be humiliating to throw away the prem from here after leading all season (only 2 weeks spent as "joint" top of the league).
No, I wouldn't be happy if we come 4th or 5th... what do you think?!!! You missed the point. Playing a "grinding out a win" style of football doesn't guarenttee you a win or a draw. We could quite easily lose the last 3 games 1- nil. I don't think you automatically increase your chances of wining by being conservative and safe. I'm saying that if we have the talent to back up the objective of attacking football then unleash it! If we don't have the firepower, then attacking football is out of the question. Do u think we can play attacking football and score more times than out opponents???

i was just curious to see what other people thought..
Goals vs wins was mainly a shortened version of : is it more important to score goals and not play well or grinding out 1 nil victories but playing really well. hence the poll.. the win is obvious..

brett

Didn't vote in the poll because I didn't fit any of the options.

But I would ideally like to see us dominate the opposition, which means we control the ball and dictate the tempo of the game. It doesn't necessarily mean we smash goals past them. The perfect example is the 2-1 win against Adelaide down there. That was good football.

You understand though that when you have players unavailable you can't always play that way and more of a scrappy, fighting, but deliberate style invokes a different kind of pride in the team.

If we were a long-ball team by intention (I believe we've had to resort to that at tough times this season, but it's not our go) my personal preference would be to change the style of play regardless of results. Winning the be all and end all for me.

FFC Mariner

As Jack Charlton famously said when manager of Ireland. You walk out with 1 point and as a minimum, you need to keep it. Anything else is a bonus :)

Ted

A win is a win, no matter the score.  Yes, it is more entertaining having several goals scored (from either team) during a match. In the end though, it doesn't matter how it's done (a goal fest or a 1 goal grind), it's the win and the points that count!

c-crew

Me too, I'd rather see us sneak home 1-0 off an own goal rather than lose in a goal fest like against sydney the other week.

pjennings

A win of any kind would do me. The basis of a good team is a solid defence. Once you have that the rest of the team can try creative things knowing their defence is solid if the attack doesn;t come off.

S

striker

pjennings said:
A win of any kind would do me. The basis of a good team is a solid defence. ................

ever heard of total football?  that system would probably be even better than a solid defence.

pjennings

striker #9 said:
pjennings said:
A win of any kind would do me. The basis of a good team is a solid defence. ................

ever heard of total football?  that system would probably be even better than a solid defence.

Totally agree - but in total football you are sure that the people behind you can do the job defensively.

FFC Mariner

And you also need 10 outfield players who can play in just about every position. Even the Freaky Deaky Dutch cant so it brillaintly anymore and they invented the system :)

S

striker

the concept is brilliant..so why not upskill the players to play in any position.... i tried it when i coached young kids - and it works for them before they get used to a particular position.. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred