• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Give the A League Ref's A Break

Yellowbeard

Surely an April Fools Day Joke :fireup:

Give A-League refs a break
By Tom Smithies
April 01, 2008 FOOTBALL chiefs are planning a crackdown on dissent against A-League referees, to headline a campaign against abuse of officials at all levels of the game.

Measures under consideration include a radical move to allow only team captains to communicate with referees, a rule borrowed directly from rugby union where dissent is simply not tolerated.

Football Federation Australia chief executive Ben Buckley, appalled by what he regards as the challenging of referees' authority, has asked his officials to canvass a range of measures, including the captains-only rule.

Other national associations are trialling similar initiatives in the wake of high-profile referee abuse beamed around the globe, notably from the Barclays Premier League.

Mass protests by players was an increasingly common sight during the A-League season and scarred the end of the grand final.

Concerned that the example set from the game's domestic elite is provoking misbehaviour down the food chain, Buckley is to meet with clubs and the players' union to seek their co-operation in making changes.

But the specific captains-only option has already met resistance from the players' union, which is demanding a wider review of the refereeing structure including a fast-track for former players.
Buckley said the practicalities of the captains-only rule were being investigated "but we think the principle of it has real merit".

"We're looking at other ways where we can find a way to eliminate confrontation with the referees, and set an example at the elite level that allows the grassroots football community to attract and retain referees on a wider basis.

"Yes, all sport generates emotion on the pitch, but I am alarmed by what appears to be an 'acceptable' level of dissension in the game. We are looking at a range of initiatives, and part of it will be education and part how we enforce regulations.

"We've spoken to the federation CEOs and they've all acknowledged it's becoming harder and harder to recruit and retain referees. They're encouraging us to come up with ways to set a better example."

But PFA chief Brendan Schwab said that while the union wanted to address crowding of referees and dissent, adopting an Australia-specific solution was a dangerous path to go down.

"We would oppose importing a remedy from rugby because there are many practical problems with a rule limiting it to the captains," he said. "For example if the goalkeeper was a captain it would result in a further delay to play, which can exacerbate any emotional tension.

"A better approach is one being advocated by Gordon Taylor, of the English PFA, which is to investigate some form of a protective zone around the referee.

"It also needs to be part of a worldwide solution. We would be very concerned if the FFA were to implement a solution only for Australia."

Schwab said the issue raised questions over the ability of referees to perform within their current structure, where all have full-time jobs outside the game.

"There is no doubt the level of refereeing at certain critical moments of the season was not up to the standards now demanded by the players and the fans, which has focused on the need to invest more in the development of referees.

"Refereeing must be made a more attractive career path and a more attractive option for former players.

"We'd like to explore initiatives by which former players are encouraged to become referees and could be fast-tracked through the system."

skilbeck

Make A league refereeing a paid full time job rather than have them as amateurs with other professions. This would ensure that their mind is 100% on the games they are officiating over and not thinking: "if there is extra time, then i wont get that crucial report done for work tomorrow and therefore ill lose my job/wont get that promotion, therefore Holland didnt hand ball it"

T

thanman

skilbeck said:
Make A league refereeing a paid full time job rather than have them as amateurs with other professions. This would ensure that their mind is 100% on the games they are officiating over and not thinking: "if there is extra time, then i wont get that crucial report done for work tomorrow and therefore ill lose my job/wont get that promotion, therefore Holland didnt hand ball it"
I thought Shields was a full time ref? since he goes to Asia?
:S
also.
i hate him. and gives actual shields.. a bad name.

Jesus

Jesus
Certainly clamp down on it. But also make them professional. But, also make them accountable.

I like the idea of ex players officiating. Especially if they have experience overseas. Hopefully they could see the benefits of different styles of refereeing and put them to good use

Jesus

Jesus
thanman said:
skilbeck said:
also.

He isnt.

Even refs in the big european leagues are only part-time. Unless this has been changed since the last world cup when the idea of full-time ref's came up for discussion.

T

thanman

Jesus said:
thanman said:
skilbeck said:
also.

He isnt.

Even refs in the big european leagues are only part-time. Unless this has been changed since the last world cup when the idea of full-time ref's came up for discussion.
yeah i knew about the discussion but no idea if anything went ahead about it..

dru

In principle a good idea.

Can't agree with limiting it to just the captain as a player involved in any incident deserves an explanation of what is happening.

Agree that a world wide solution would be better.

FFC Mariner

Perhaps there would be less frustration from players if they had any confidence that the refs (well, Breeze and Shields) we half way competant.

The FFA have just realised that there is an issue here and their way of trying to deal with it is to try to shift blame to those naughty players.

Tools

Bear

Have the captain and the offending player talked to by the ref, like they do in league. Seems to work for them

And absolutly make the refs accountable for there f**k ups

Having said that, it will never happen. Refs are never wrong, apparently

Sean

The only line in this article that I support.

"There is no doubt the level of refereeing at certain critical moments of the season was not up to the standards now demanded by the players and the fans, which has focused on the need to invest more in the development of referees"

ryan

I am captaining my side this season and I will be wearing an armband to remind the refs that I am questioning their decisions on behalf of my team, not just because I want to stir  :)
I will try to make sure that it is only me and the player allegedly offending that talk with the ref.

Omni

Paying a referee more doesn't mean he'll work harder, I've been paid very little for trial games I referee and I'm still refereeing to the best of my ability, money won't improve ability.

Dissent is a stupid thing, seriously, how often do you see referees change their decisions? I have no issues with carding players for such offences.

Having said all that, there have been some key decisions go wrong, I think the issue lies more in training than anything else, and that's the true benefit of full time professionals.

Jesus

Jesus
The ability to ref full time means that more people would do it. Hence you would get higher quality refs continue, when otherwise they might not of had time for it

marinermick

for those advocating full time referees i give you graham poll - was one of only a couple full time referees in england

Jesus

Jesus
Full-time is a long term thing. It still needs people to actually look and say "wow, this ref is actually quite awful, lets not pay him".

But when you can make a decent wage doing it, you may forgoe another decent wage and do it cause you love the game. It is about giving yourself the options to pick the best refs, then picking them.

At the moment we have the whoever is willing to do it whilst holding down another job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred