• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

FTA Tele and sports anti siphoning laws

Jesus

Jesus
SBS did a far better job with the last world cup than fox do.

Greenpoleffc said:
Follow your argument through a bit further.

When things get tougher, the first thing that slows is consumer spending, then companies make lower profits and their advertising spend reduces. Then TV companies profit falls (Ch10 anyone??).

Then FTA has less cash to spunk on sport.

Pay Tv however has people locked into contracts. Cashflow continues (for a while).

But does not make much sense. Morfe people watch FTA as less have fox. People are still going to watch in large numbers, probably more as people have less money to do other things.

There are a tonne of shit shows on fox. Alot on FTA too. As a result tv audiences in both are being affected, especially in the us. Cable will be dea due to internet coverage long before they get a stranglehold on the market.

dibo

how many of the people saying 'pay tv is the future' don't currently have pay tv?

adz

Staff member
serious14 said:
I'll use a television show example......... take a show that is commissioned for free to air television, say Two and a Half Men.  Piss poor scripting, lame predictable laughs, and big name stars purely to get people to watch.  Now look at a comedy show on cable/pay - say, Entourage.  Top notch scripts, actual acting, good plot, strong structure, etc. and so forth.  Same with drama.  Something like Battlestar Galactica, The Sopranos, and The Wire are infinitely superior to the various CSI's running around.

oi what's wrong with Two and a half Men, that's a great show ;D... All these shows are on FTA too anyway....

The only reason for me to get pay tv (which is currently still not available where I live) is for live sport. If FTA got all the sport I wanted to watch live there would be no reason for me to get pay tv. All the other stuff is either old or shit anyway, the difference is the good shows are not as old as what they show on FTA (e.g. only 1 season behind the US instead of 3).

dibo

adz said:
serious14 said:
I'll use a television show example......... take a show that is commissioned for free to air television, say Two and a Half Men.   Piss poor scripting, lame predictable laughs, and big name stars purely to get people to watch.   Now look at a comedy show on cable/pay - say, Entourage.  Top notch scripts, actual acting, good plot, strong structure, etc. and so forth.   Same with drama.  Something like Battlestar Galactica, The Sopranos, and The Wire are infinitely superior to the various CSI's running around.

oi what's wrong with Two and a half Men, that's a great show ;D... All these shows are on FTA too anyway....

The only reason for me to get pay tv (which is currently still not available where I live) is for live sport. If FTA got all the sport I wanted to watch live there would be no reason for me to get pay tv. All the other stuff is either old or shit anyway, the difference is the good shows are not as old as what they show on FTA (e.g. only 1 season behind the US instead of 3).

live sport, and the a-league in particular, is the *only* reason i got fox.

if the a-league had matches on FTA, i'd probably have just watched whatever non-FTA matches were on at the pub.

most households out there (i.e. the 70% out there who don't have fox) would be in a position to actually see a game or two if the a-league had *some* fta coverage.

you don't have to make a budgetary choice or be a 'discerning consumer' (as was put, with just a hint of condescension, in a previous version of this recurring conversation) to see fta sport. i don't want people to have to make budgetary choices or be discerning consumers to follow the a-league, and especially not to follow the socceroos.

our exposure would be greater, our value to sponsors would be greater, and the simple fact remains that FTA broadcasters *want* to show our sport *and want to give us money for the right to do so*.

the benefits of having no matches on FTA vs maybe one live match plus a highlights package with the rest on fox (as with the other major codes) has never been adequately outlined on here.

clarence

Stuck at home this weekend crook, and was very surprised to see NO sport on FTA on Saturday - at all! Gone are the days one could nurse a sore back or a flu with a blanket on the couch, some soup & get puzzled by watching AFL.

I don;t like Foxtel's content other than its sports - and in that area, they are making inroads on the FTA content.

priorpeter

grahamh said:
The down-side is that I can't justify going down to the Kincumber Resort Hotel on Friday nights now, (topless and lingerie waitresses!).

no.. certainly can't justify it at all ;)

serious14

grahamh said:
The down-side is that I can't justify going down to the Kincumber Resort Hotel on Friday nights now, (topless and lingerie waitresses!).

I think that's the gayest thing I've ever read on here dude.  :p  Come on!!!!  THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE SAYING!!!!  ;)

dru

serious14 said:
grahamh said:

I think that's the gayest thing I've ever read on here dude.  :p   Come on!!!!  THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE SAYING!!!!   ;)

I think I just found a new watering hole on Friday nights!

Losing cred with serious14: 1 minute of internet time
potentially embarrassing ones kids on an internet forum: priceless!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred