• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

FTA Tele and sports anti siphoning laws

Arabmariner

I'm no tennis fan but this is the sort of stuff that gives me the shits about FTA tv.

Tonight at Wimbledon Lleyton Hewitt is on court at 10pm.CH 9 have the rights but won't show it live.They will show either all of the game or part of the game on delay at 11.30 pm after the thugby league.Fox are live at Wimbledon from 9 pm but CH 9 won't let them show it.

IMO if they have the rights they should use them or lose them.They treat the consumer with utter contempt.

I realise that FTA is a money spinner but I hate to think of our game being under any sort of control by these pricks.

The sooner all sports are on pay tv the better! :mad:

Jesus

Jesus
Arabmariner said:
I'm no tennis fan but this is the sort of stuff that gives me the shits about FTA tv.

Tonight at Wimbledon Lleyton Hewitt is on court at 10pm.CH 9 have the rights but won't show it live.They will show either all of the game or part of the game on delay at 11.30 pm after the thugby league.Fox are live at Wimbledon from 9 pm but CH 9 won't let them show it.

IMO if they have the rights they should use them or lose them.They treat the consumer with utter contempt.

I realise that FTA is a money spinner but I hate to think of our game being under any sort of control by these pricks.

I doubt it is covered by the laws. Otherwise i am pretty sure the laws say you have to show them, and i am pretty sure live.

But really doubt the don is on the list.

Arabmariner

Jesus said:
Arabmariner said:

I doubt it is covered by the laws. Otherwise i am pretty sure the laws say you have to show them, and i am pretty sure live.

But really doubt the don is on the list.
Fox can show other games but 9 refused to let them show Hewitts game.

loyalist

which is fair enuf as they own the rights to it which means they can do whatever they please with it

dibo

...because the dramatic drop in audience and therefore advertising reach will do wonders for the advertising revenue our sports live on.

bloody stupid idea.

digital FTA multichanneling and internet downstreaming are more likely the way of the future.

dru

dibo said:
...because the dramatic drop in audience and therefore advertising reach will do wonders for the advertising revenue our sports live on.

bloody stupid idea.

digital FTA multichanneling and internet downstreaming are more likely the way of the future.

I'm waiting for foxsports to get it's act together and allow internet streaming of the A-league like you can get for the premier league.

FFC Mariner

dibo said:

bloody stupid idea.

Actually, hurting FTA sports hurts our competitors so its actually a brilliant idea.

Sen Fieldings assault on grog advertising during FTA sportscasts would drive another dagger into their accounts.

The war, comrades, must be waged relentlessly on all fronts until Football is "uber alles"

dibo

there's no good argument that's yet been put for why pay tv is the saviour for everything.

adz

Staff member
and this is where we need the "national broadband network" to happen.... *cough*

clarence

adz said:
and this is where we need the "national broadband network" to happen.... *cough*

Yeah, stuff dealing with the dinosaurs at FTA networks. Upgrade the deal with Foxtel (for those who don't have broadband) and have internet streaming like they have OS with Setanta Sports.

Is it no conicidence that Jamie Packer has sold off a fair amount of PBL to investment syndicates? Maybe he's aware that FTA is going to struggle over the long term.

Jesus

Jesus
FTA wont be going anywhere. When the purse strings get pulled, as they are now in the economy, pay tv is one of the first things to go.

I dont see why people think it is a great idea to pay to watch the same thing that you could otherwise watch for free? Especially since there are still ads. It doesnt make sense.

FFC Mariner

Follow your argument through a bit further.

When things get tougher, the first thing that slows is consumer spending, then companies make lower profits and their advertising spend reduces. Then TV companies profit falls (Ch10 anyone??).

Then FTA has less cash to spunk on sport.

Pay Tv however has people locked into contracts. Cashflow continues (for a while).

dru

clarence said:
adz said:

Yeah, stuff dealing with the dinosaurs at FTA networks. Upgrade the deal with Foxtel (for those who don't have broadband) and have internet streaming like they have OS with Setanta Sports.

Is it no conicidence that Jamie Packer has sold off a fair amount of PBL to investment syndicates? Maybe he's aware that FTA is going to struggle over the long term.

You can do Internet streaming with Setanta in Australia.

goingtoadisco

Yer i have setanta. i=Its good but not the same as having it on the tellie !

On another note if you live under gum trees/around mountains you cant get foxtel..... As i found out 6 months ago.

serious14

Jesus said:
FTA wont be going anywhere. When the purse strings get pulled, as they are now in the economy, pay tv is one of the first things to go.

I dont see why people think it is a great idea to pay to watch the same thing that you could otherwise watch for free? Especially since there are still ads. It doesnt make sense.

I'll use a television show example......... take a show that is commissioned for free to air television, say Two and a Half Men.  Piss poor scripting, lame predictable laughs, and big name stars purely to get people to watch.  Now look at a comedy show on cable/pay - say, Entourage.  Top notch scripts, actual acting, good plot, strong structure, etc. and so forth.  Same with drama.  Something like Battlestar Galactica, The Sopranos, and The Wire are infinitely superior to the various CSI's running around.

Oh, and that's another thing.  FTA = the same shit recycled over and over, with only a few exceptions here and there (How I Met Your Mother, Underbelly).

Now apply that to sports coverage.  The only sports coverage on FTA that I would pay to get a similar quality of on Pay TV is Channel 10's AFL.  Professional, succint, riddled with statistics - you couldn't ask for anything more.  Find me sports coverage on Pay TV that is even as close to as shit as anything on FTA??    Compare Fox Sports Rugby coverage to the shit dished up by Channel 7.

It's a simple case of you pay for what you get.  And another simple case of Pay TV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FTA.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  It's happened everywhere else, and soon enough, it will happen here.  Pay TV _IS_ the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred