• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

FFS!!!!!!! Manly???????

shipwreck

Let's just hope it's another bluff scare tactic to try and strong arm council.

If it's not and council don't play ball, we can start blaming them for not facilitating a team on the coast. I'm getting over this tbh

turbo

More than likely a move by MC to push the issue with the council. But something has to give as the current situation isnt sustainable:
MC cant/wont tip in more. Hasnt had an offer to sell that hes willing to take.
Poor performances helped by lack of funds are dropping gate figures and revenue.
Sponsors are going to be investment shy for everyone post covid 19.
Prospect of a dramatically reduced Foxtel deal or them walking away entirely.

The club is in trouble one way or another. If the council dont come to the table sooner or later it wont be here and the stadium loses it's only tenant. I desperately miss getting down to the stadium and watching us play but thats the reality of the situation. I dont see some benevolent billionaire stepping in to save us.

Timmah

Full article for those not clicking through:

Central Coast Mariners owner Mike Charlesworth is in talks over a possible ground-share arrangement with National Rugby League outfit Manly Sea Eagles, in a shock move which could see the struggling A-League club exit Gosford for good.

UPDATED
UPDATED 1 HOUR AGO
BY DAVE LEWIS

Frustrated by protracted negotiations with local council chiefs over taking over the management rights at Central Coast Stadium, Charlesworth has instead set his sights on Brookvale Oval on Sydney’s northern beaches as a possible new home for the club in a city which has three existing teams - Sydney FC, Western Sydney Wanderers and newcomers Macarthur FC.

Discussions with Northern Beaches Council, who own the 23,000-capacity rectangular stadium, are ongoing, potentially sparking a backlash from a Mariners faithful sure to baulk at the prospect of being uprooted from their iconic seaside base.

Charlesworth has long sought to tap into a thriving football fraternity, and potential fan-base, north of Sydney’s Harbour Bridge.

The club staged an A-League ‘home’ game against Melbourne Victory at North Sydney Oval in 2014, but abandoned plans for a match at Brookvale Oval the same season.

Those forays - both realized and attempted - met with a hostile reception from the Mariners fans whose palm-fringed habitat - complete with its sauce bottle mascots - is the A-League’s most quirky and picturesque arena.

The Mariners offered an ambiguous statement when contacted by The World Game over the audacious transplant plan, with an official saying: “Our primary goal has always been to build a sustainable model that can ensure the club’s long-term viability, whilst adding significant value to the A League’s growth.

“Like over the last 10 years (when Charlesworth rescued the club from oblivion), we continue to engage fully with our partners and stakeholders on the Central Coast whilst also looking at other opportunities.”

It’s not the first time the Mariners have been linked with an exit from the Coast, where the population base of 300,000 makes sustainability an on-going issue.

Previous attempts by expansion hopefuls in Canberra and Brisbane to buy the license both proved fruitless.

Charlesworth was hoping to be in a position to take over the running of Central Coast Stadium, with a recent report by consultants KPMG recommending it be farmed out to a private operator.

The proposal included establishing a W-League team, constructing retail outlets around the ground and harnessing it as a concert venue.

Were the collaboration to go ahead, the Mariners would be the poor relations, with the Sea Eagles about to share in a TV rights windfall set to net the NRL $1.9 billion over the next seven years from broadcast partners Foxtel and Nine Entertainment Co.

During the last A-League expansion round, unsuccessful bidder Southern Expansion signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with NRL side Cronulla about playing its home matches at the Sharks’ Southern Cross Group Stadium.

The Mariners are on course for a fourth wooden spoon in six years, with average home gates dipping from 8,111 four years ago to 5,504 this season.

Timmah

Full article for those not clicking through:

Central Coast Mariners owner Mike Charlesworth is in talks over a possible ground-share arrangement with National Rugby League outfit Manly Sea Eagles, in a shock move which could see the struggling A-League club exit Gosford for good.

UPDATED
UPDATED 1 HOUR AGO
BY DAVE LEWIS

Frustrated by protracted negotiations with local council chiefs over taking over the management rights at Central Coast Stadium, Charlesworth has instead set his sights on Brookvale Oval on Sydney’s northern beaches as a possible new home for the club in a city which has three existing teams - Sydney FC, Western Sydney Wanderers and newcomers Macarthur FC.

Discussions with Northern Beaches Council, who own the 23,000-capacity rectangular stadium, are ongoing, potentially sparking a backlash from a Mariners faithful sure to baulk at the prospect of being uprooted from their iconic seaside base.

Charlesworth has long sought to tap into a thriving football fraternity, and potential fan-base, north of Sydney’s Harbour Bridge.

The club staged an A-League ‘home’ game against Melbourne Victory at North Sydney Oval in 2014, but abandoned plans for a match at Brookvale Oval the same season.

Those forays - both realized and attempted - met with a hostile reception from the Mariners fans whose palm-fringed habitat - complete with its sauce bottle mascots - is the A-League’s most quirky and picturesque arena.

The Mariners offered an ambiguous statement when contacted by The World Game over the audacious transplant plan, with an official saying: “Our primary goal has always been to build a sustainable model that can ensure the club’s long-term viability, whilst adding significant value to the A League’s growth.

“Like over the last 10 years (when Charlesworth rescued the club from oblivion), we continue to engage fully with our partners and stakeholders on the Central Coast whilst also looking at other opportunities.”

It’s not the first time the Mariners have been linked with an exit from the Coast, where the population base of 300,000 makes sustainability an on-going issue.

Previous attempts by expansion hopefuls in Canberra and Brisbane to buy the license both proved fruitless.

Charlesworth was hoping to be in a position to take over the running of Central Coast Stadium, with a recent report by consultants KPMG recommending it be farmed out to a private operator.

The proposal included establishing a W-League team, constructing retail outlets around the ground and harnessing it as a concert venue.

Were the collaboration to go ahead, the Mariners would be the poor relations, with the Sea Eagles about to share in a TV rights windfall set to net the NRL $1.9 billion over the next seven years from broadcast partners Foxtel and Nine Entertainment Co.

During the last A-League expansion round, unsuccessful bidder Southern Expansion signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with NRL side Cronulla about playing its home matches at the Sharks’ Southern Cross Group Stadium.

The Mariners are on course for a fourth wooden spoon in six years, with average home gates dipping from 8,111 four years ago to 5,504 this season.
This is one of two things IMO - a bored Dave Lewis needing to fill column inches by making shit up; or its MC trying to strong-arm CCC.

If it's the former, then whatever; if it's the latter, then I think it's a shit tactic because sadly I think CCC would let the Mariners walk away.

marinermick

It has come from The World Game website which is Charlesworth's mouth piece whenever he wants say something, so this has come straight from MC.

As others have said above it is just a negotiation tactic to strongarm council.

There is no way he is seriously considering Manly especially with Shaun working at the club. Shaun would definitely fill him in on the whole Northern Eagles debacle.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I can see the logic in thinking it might just be a strongarm tactic - a move to Manly just wouldn't make any sense at all.
If that is the case, then, what, is the plan that by releasing this news the entire CC gets so pissed off they start hassling the council to do whatever it takes to keep us?
If so, then I reckon it's already backfired - all I'm seeing on social media is an already fed up fan base feeling even more alienated and being pissed off at MC, not the council. Fans have been wondering for years why they should bother when the club doesn't, and when today we get a media release saying the owner has given up on us, more fans are going to give up on the club rather than get angry at council.

@Shaun Mielekamp now would be a really, really bad time for the club to keep quiet. We need your input here.

Timmah

Not to mention the surface at Brookvale is f**king tragic. Muddy, heavy ground most of the year. Long history of leg injuries.

Oh don't forget the asbestos controversy on the hill last year...

Yorkshire Mariners FC

Most disturbing is the club's response (as stated by the writer). Would have been easy to just sent this at all immediately.
If Shaun is out (sources?), this does not look good.
Surely they would not let him make a successful club annually an embarrassment and reward that by allowing the club to relocate...

yorkshireman

I don't see the point in moving to Brookvale for any increase in fan base either. The fan base will not grow unless the team are successful again. This means a shed load of money is needed and a relocation isn't going to give that. Coupled with the idea that fans will possibly change allegiance in Sydney coupled with losing the existing ones. This surely would be a stupid move.

marinermick

A group of us have already decided years ago that if the club leaves town, or partially leaves town, we will start a Coast Victory supporters group. Can still hate the Jets, Sydney and WSW at away games, and with a couple of Melbourne trips every season it would be a good way to still be involved in the A-League.

turbo

A group of us have already decided years ago that if the club leaves town, or partially leaves town, we will start a Coast Victory supporters group. Can still hate the Jets, Sydney and WSW at away games, and with a couple of Melbourne trips every season it would be a good way to still be involved in the A-League.
:vomit:
You couldn’t get behind Adelaide, Nix, Brisbane or Perth instead? I’d support the Jets or Western United before I thought about supporting victory.

Pirate Pete

f**k the Victory. Akways hated everything about them. I'd also support the Jets before i support Victory. Or any other club.
Though if we relocate, I'm done with the A-League.
Although I clicked like on your post that was only for half of it.
the I'm done with A league half.
The Jets bit. Wash your mouth out young man!! Close call between the Jets and Victory I must admit.

In a way now is a good time for Charlesworth to do this.
The council's revenue will be falling. At one point someone at the council made some bad business decisions and lost a motza.
Maybe during or around the GFC. The same will be happening now. Investments will be falling.
Anyhow the council will be scrambling of way to save money at the moment.
Then they need to spend to get the economy going.
Getting rid of the stadium may well appear to be good business for them at the moment.

Could be a good call by Charlesworth...... if it's a bluff.

Last edited:

midfielder

My understanding is our licence is for the CC only. Gallop made it clear last time FFA would not allow us to relocate we could hand back the licence or sell the licence but the new buyer had to stay on the CC.

Issue is will iAL allow for area relocation ...

The Shaun rumours hhhhmmmmm maybe a troll post or at best a wild guess .... I doubt aside from Shaun & MC anyone knows and I can't see either of them confiding with a forum member ... my guess would be MC, Shaun & Shaun's wife would be the only people who know so I am saying Bull S at this stage.

marinermick

My understanding is our licence is for the CC only. Gallop made it clear last time FFA would not allow us to relocate we could hand back the licence or sell the licence but the new buyer had to stay on the CC.

Issue is will iAL allow for area relocation ...

The Shaun rumours hhhhmmmmm maybe a troll post or at best a wild guess .... I doubt aside from Shaun & MC anyone knows and I can't see either of them confiding with a forum member ... my guess would be MC, Shaun & Shaun's wife would be the only people who know so I am saying Bull S at this stage.

I have heard the same rumours

Timmah

Interesting the wording "the focus of everyone at Tuggerah". The focus of those perhaps further afield (say, London)... where's that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami