• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

FFA to Bid for World Cup 2018

midfielder

Matthew Hall
February 3, 2008

EXCLUSIVE
In the SMH

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/think-big/2008/02/02/1201801096684.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

FOOTBALL Federation Australia has confirmed it intends to launch a formal bid to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup as part of an "ambitious agenda" for the organisation over the next four years.

FFA boss Ben Buckley, speaking to The Sun-Herald before the Socceroos kick off the 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign against Qatar in Melbourne on Wednesday, unveiled plans for this year that include A-League expansion and a national youth league.

"We have an extremely ambitious agenda over the next three or four years," Buckley said. "We are serious about bidding for 2018 and are currently conducting a major audit of the infrastructure within Australia."

serious14

*sighs*  We've heard this story a million and one times before - watch all the typical main media outlets run with this for a few days.......

As much as I'd love for it to be true, I'll believe it when I see it.  The headline for this story should read "FFA commissions preliminary report to see IF it can host the 2018 World Cup".  F*cking media.

S

soccersensei

Well if that 3 million J league rumour (think it was "pommipete"?) about Aloisi is true,
then now the offer is only worth 5 times as much as a Marquee signing instead of 6 ;D

That said, if the caps being reported to rise 100k, I think surely they could have afforded to push it a little higher still? With the provable growth of the A league (starting to boom) and Fox's unquestioning support, a bit higher should not have been too hard for the bulk of clubs to handle, and clearly could be used to benefit Australian football and it's players. Not to say, you shouldn't move cautiously at times and keep some balance for the emerging or struggling teams etc, so you can't just rapidly and grossly inflate it, but if the movement and growths there then you need to ride it too. 100k would be what, about a 5.8 % rise in the cap. Even with all expansion costs and other things not withstanding, I doubt that this is a fair rise in terms of the  growth of revenue. IMO raising the cap a bit further would be a statement about the growth and commitment to football in Australia that would help inspire players in regard to Australia being a serious football destination leading to retainment of elite/emerging players for potentially longer periods and the attraction of higher quality imports. This in turn brings greater profile, greater interest, greater crowds, greater dollars... and on the cycle goes... Not too mention looking good as a statement of our growth in regards to the FIFA bid. Otherwise I'd hate to think of players going... "wow footballs really starting to boom! Crowds have tripled in the last three years... and we're all still being payed the same amount of money...? Hey, where's all that extra revenue going??
(Insert - Lowy drives by in his new beamer... and yells out the window - "Nice game boyyyssss")

Speaking of Lowy - I hope a good wad will go into the development of officials!
(And I don't mean inside a brown paper bag mind you :p)

FFC Mariner

serious14 said:
*sighs*  We've heard this story a million and one times before - watch all the typical main media outlets run with this for a few days.......

As much as I'd love for it to be true, I'll believe it when I see it.  The headline for this story should read "FFA commissions preliminary report to see IF it can host the 2018 World Cup".  F*cking media.

Clever move IMHO, release this when the knuckledraggers have their "fans" day

Jesus

Jesus
They wont make huge increases to the cap when well are new, and perth getting stable. Especially with 2 new teams possibly coming in. They have to get in a good position too

Also clubs want to make money. So that adds to affordability.

Jesus

Jesus
I was glad to read that the FFA are very happy with the idea of the cap and see it as essential to the good of the game in the country. The cap is the only way clubs like us, newy, Nth Qld and the gold coast could ever get a team.

No one would come to games with small teams not ever winning. With little tv exposure for small markets, the gates is where they make their money.

SNOWMARINER

Jesus said:
I was glad to read that the FFA are very happy with the idea of the cap and see it as essential to the good of the game in the country. The cap is the only way clubs like us, newy, Nth Qld and the gold coast could ever get a team.

No one would come to games with small teams not ever winning. With little tv exposure for small markets, the gates is where they make their money.

I agree totally with that and although everyone would love to see better players kept in the A-League longer and OS players return sooner the salary cap is essential for equal competition between the clubs that in the short and long term increases crowds, potential and current sponsorship, media interest and ensures the bottom line for all clubs remains in the black.

I think the FFA management have done an outstanding job of managing the A-League so far and although there is always room for improvement, demotion for poor officiating comes to mind, I think the atmosphere with near full house lately at BT is proof that most decisions have been good. Along with this is the announcement of a national youth competition that is essential for identifying future stars and giving a far larger pool of younger footballers the opportunity to reach their potential which is a great step foward.

I am rapped to hear that the door is still wide open for atleast two more teams to enter the competition next year providing they can prove their financial viability and hope to see a ten team comp next season and atleast nine.

On Australia holding the 2018 WC that would be a dream come true and with the success of the 2000 Olympics you could'nt rule out the possibility although I think they would have to get some serious support from the AFC and would still have to contend with alot of negitivity from self serving European nations. I would'nt hold my breath on that one but showing that your a fair dinkum contender may lead to hosting the WC sooner rather than later. I'd die happy if it happened in my lifetime.

S

soccersensei

SNOWMARINER said:
Jesus said:

I agree totally with that and although everyone would love to see better players kept in the A-League longer and OS players return sooner the salary cap is essential for equal competition between the clubs...

Sigh, I did not question the value or necessity of the cap, its worth is apparent, as stated, what I'm questioning is the actual percentage/level of increase being looked at for the revenue/pay rises possible for players next season - and again as stated "Could it not be a little bit higher - without mitigating expansion issues etc" For a league which has performed and is growing very well, I personally feel that a 5% approx rise is perhaps not an adequate reflection. At the end of the day I would like to feel assured that the rapid growth of the league is translating into rewards to the people at the heart of the league, the players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred