• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

F3 no memory lane for defector

uptheguts

January 12, 2008

NEWCASTLE Jets coach Gary van Egmond has no fears that rising star James Holland will buckle under the pressure of a hostile reception when he returns "home" to Gosford for tonight's local derby against Central Coast Mariners at Bluetongue Stadium.

Holland, a Central Coast junior, trained with the Mariners early last month before fleeing north to sign for the Jets, and there is little doubt he will be targeted by some sections of the crowd in what is a crunch game for both teams.

The Mariners are chasing down the minor premiership, while Newcastle need points to cement their place in the finals. A full house and a volatile atmosphere are expected for what both camps have tagged the most important F3 derby so far.

After only five appearances Holland, 18, has emerged as a key player for the Jets and now faces the biggest challenge of his short career. But despite his relative inexperience, van Egmond is confident he will rise to the occasion.

"I'm not worried about him at all," the coach said. "James is the type of player where the bigger the game, the more he relishes it.

"He's very level-headed, and I don't expect him to feel the nerves at all. Obviously, there's a chance he'll get some stick from the crowd, but you never boo a bad player, do you?

"I'm also expecting the older players to help him out. It's a situation where there should be 10 other players watching his back. Jade North and his merry men will be there to make sure he's got nothing to worry about."

The Jets will be missing Socceroos hopeful Adam Griffiths through suspension, but with Stephen Laybutt, Denni and Jobe Wheelhouse all fit and pushing for selection, they will take a near full-strength squad to Gosford. The club is also trialling 20-year-old FC Seoul midfielder Song Jin-hyung, a former South Korean youth international who is an outside chance to replace injured utility Steve Eagleton if the Jets make the finals.

Central Coast, meanwhile, welcome back defenders Andrew Clark and Tony Vidmar from suspension, and a win could all but secure the minor premiership depending on the outcome of tomorrow's match between Queensland Roar and Sydney FC in Brisbane. The Mariners are also in the rebuilding phase, and are believed to have talked to fringe Socceroos midfielder Jacob Burns this week.

Mariners striker Matt Simon - again likely to start on the bench - is hoping the derby will end his A-League scoring drought.

"I'm getting a little bit anxious to just get the first one," he said. "I'm not putting pressure on myself, but I just want it to come nice and quick. If it doesn't, hopefully I'll keep creating chances and one of them will go in."

Article found at http://www.smh.com.au/news/a-league/f3-no-memory-lane-for-defector/2008/01/11/1199988590720.html

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred