• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Earth Hour 2008

serious14

Ignoring the fact that global warming is a myth, did anyone actually bother with this left wing Greeny-rock-band neo-environmentalist bullshit last night??

Besides, what makes us Westerners so special when we do it??  North Korea does it every day of the year farkin'!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Paolo

serious14 said:
Ignoring the fact that global warming is a myth, did anyone actually bother with this left wing Greeny-rock-band neo-environmentalist bullshit last night??
The Central Coast Mariners.....apparently
00016489-image.jpg

http://www.ccmariners.com.au/default.aspx?s=ccfc_news_item&id=21493

skilbeck

i was in a car at that stage, i thought it wouldve been a bit dangerous to have switched the headlights off

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I was at Pluim watching the Lightning get rolled....I wish they had turned the lights off

dibo

earth hour itself doesn't save that much power, but it's the awareness it creates that a little bit goes a long way and that everyone can be involved in trying to reduce emissions that makes it valuable.

look at the change from last year to this - from sydney only to hundreds of cities around the world. that change is big, and it's the sort of thing that can make a difference.

most of the change won't happen in power stations and at petrol pumps, it'll happen in the minds of ordinary people who turn off unnecessary lights, open a window rather than fire up the air conditioning or switch off appliances at the wall.

Gav...

dibo said:
earth hour itself doesn't save that much power, but it's the awareness it creates that a little bit goes a long way and that everyone can be involved in trying to reduce emissions that makes it valuable.

look at the change from last year to this - from sydney only to hundreds of cities around the world. that change is big, and it's the sort of thing that can make a difference.

most of the change won't happen in power stations and at petrol pumps, it'll happen in the minds of ordinary people who turn off unnecessary lights, open a window rather than fire up the air conditioning or switch off appliances at the wall.

yes thats exactly right. but although last years earth hour reduced sydneys energy usuage by 10.2%

skilbeck

what dibo was alluding to mariners4ever is that the power stations are still running and therefore power is being produced and fossil fuels are being burnt. If you want to reduce power consumption by a lot the prudent thing would be to shut down the power stations

marinermick

serious14 said:

Besides, what makes us Westerners so special when we do it??   North Korea does it every day of the year farkin'!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Global warming is not a myth. Statistically earth temperatures are rising.

What is up for debate is the amount of human influence that has contributed to this warming.

serious14

Melting polar ice caps - on Mars??

Hurricane storms on a scale never before seen - on Jupiter??

Increased average temperatures comparable with the same scale as Earth's - on every other planet in the solar system, right at the same time as a noted increase in Solar Activity??  And after World War 2, carbon dioxide emissions were at the highest level that they'd ever been in human history to that point, yet global temperatures fell for the next 4 decades, right in line with a decrease in solar activity......

The only thing affecting "global warming" (surely the greatest political swindle of all time if there ever was one.  The environmentalist element of the left has been declining in influence for years now as people realise just how 'loony' they are, then all of a sudden "whah heeeeeey, an issue we can now be relevant with again".  How convenient) on a scale that actually affects the whole world is the Sun.  Sure, our emissions might bump the scale by a _microscopic_ percentage, but the ONLY factor that affects the planet's climate on a scale that we need to be concerned about is the Sun......

When politicians and journalists declare that the science of global warming is settled, they show a regrettable ignorance about how science works.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_article_id=440049&in_page_id=1965

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=20070315&articleId=5086

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/global-warming020507.htm

Just Google "Proof that Global Warming is a myth", and you will find pages upon pages of SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN AND RE-PROVEN evidence that this is nothing more than a political sham.

T

thanman

marinermick said:
serious14 said:

Besides, what makes us Westerners so special when we do it??  North Korea does it every day of the year farkin'!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

What is up for debate is the amount of human influence that has contributed to this warming.
Explain the unusually dull summer temps we had on the coast then?

dibo

serious14 said:
Just Google "Proof that Global Warming is a myth", and you will find pages upon pages of SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN AND RE-PROVEN evidence that this is nothing more than a political sham.

you've quoted a uk tabloid reporting on a controversial (i'm being kind) documentary called 'the great global warming swindle', a website run by a quasi-leftist (in the same mould as lyndon larouche) 9/11 conspiracy theorist reporting on the same doco and finally a canadian conservative/free marketeer website running anti global warming editorials.

if you google great global warming swindle you find an awful lot of people who have issues with that doco, including a report from the UK Daily 'The Independent' which said:

Climate change: An inconvenient truth... for C4

This expert in oceanography quoted in last week's debunking of the Gore green theory says he was 'seriously misrepresented'

* Print Print
    * Email Email

Search Search Go
Independent.co.uk Web
Bookmark & Share

* Digg It
    * del.icio.us
    * Facebook
    * Stumbleupon

What are these?
Change font size: A | A | A

By Geoffrey Lean, Environment Editor
Sunday, 11 March 2007

It was the television programme that set out to show that most of the world's climate scientists are misleading us when they say humanity is heating up the Earth by emitting carbon dioxide. And The Great Global Warming Swindle, screened by Channel 4 on Thursday night, convinced many viewers that it is indeed untrue that the gas is to blame for global warming.

But now the programme - and the channel - is facing a serious challenge to its own credibility after one of the most distinguished scientists that it featured said his views had been "grossly distorted" by the film, and made it clear that he believed human pollution did warm the climate.

Professor Carl Wunsch, professor of physical oceanography at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology said he had been "completely misrepresented" by the programme, and "totally misled" on its content. He added that he is considering making a formal complaint.

A Channel 4 spokesman said: "The film was a polemic that drew together the well-documented views of a number of respected scientists to reach the same conclusions. This is a controversial film but we feel that it is important that all sides of the debate are aired. If one of the contributors has concerns about his contribution we will look into that."

Any complaint would provoke a crisis at Channel 4, now recovering from the Jade Goody Big Brother storm. It had to make a rare public apology after the Independent Television Commission convicted previous programmes on environmental issues by the same film-maker, Martin Durkin, of similar offences - and is already facing questions on why it accepted another programme from him.

The commission found that the editing of interviews with four contributors to a series called Against Nature had "distorted or misrepresented their known views".

Professor Wunsch said: "I am angry because they completely misrepresented me. My views were distorted by the context in which they placed them. I was misled as to what it was going to be about. I was told about six months ago that this was to be a programme about how complicated it is to understand what is going on. If they had told me even the title of the programme, I would have absolutely refused to be on it. I am the one who has been swindled."

When told what the commission had found, he said: "That is what happened to me." He said he believes it is "an almost inescapable conclusion" that "if man adds excess CO2 to the atmosphere, the climate will warm".

He went on: "The movie was terrible propaganda. It is characteristic of propaganda that you take an area where there is legitimate dispute and you claim straight out that people who disagree with you are swindlers. That is what the film does in any area where some things are subject to argument."

Mr Durkin last night said that Professor Wunsch was "most certainly not duped into appearing into the programme" and that it "had not in any way misrepresented what he said".

Before the programme was shown, the IoS asked Channel 4 why it had commissioned another film from Mr Durkin and, further, whether it was making any special checks on its accuracy.

A spokesman said the programme made by Mr Durkin for which it had had to apologise was a decade old, adding: "We treat Martin as any other film-maker."

* David Cameron will tomorrow unveil three schemes to tax air travel in order to combat global warming. He is to consult on whether to impose VAT or fuel duty on domestic flights, institute a flight tax targeted at the most polluting engines, or to set up a "green miles scheme" to tax frequent flyers at a higher rate. The revenue raised would be used for tax cuts to help families.

The cold, hard facts about global warming

What do most scientists believe caused global warming?

The vast majority are convinced it is human emissions of carbon dioxide. It was established scientifically 180 years ago - and has never been seriously disputed - that natural levels of the gas given off by decaying vegetation and the oceans help to keep the Earth warm; without it, and other natural greenhouse gases, the planet would be some 20C colder and we would freeze. Adding even the so far relatively small amounts from human activities makes us warmer.

Has the world warmed before?

Yes, and big warmings over prehistoric times were not started by increasing CO2 levels; changes in solar activity are more likely. Levels of the gas started rising some 800 years into the warming, but then probably reinforced it, making it bigger and longer. Temperature and CO2 are interdependent; when one goes up the other follows. This time it is different because vast amounts of the gas are being artificially put into the atmosphere by humans.

What about more recent history?

There was a warm period in Europe in the Middle Ages, again probably caused by solar activity, but it does not seem to have been a worldwide phenomenon, although records are scanty.

So is the sun responsible now?

Some sceptics say so and probably it played the major role until quite recently. But over the past three decades, solar activity has scarcely risen, while temperatures have shot up - a fact disguised in the film. What has gone up is CO2 and even top sceptic Nigel Lawson admits it is "highly likely" that the gas has "played a significant part" in global warming this century.

thanman said:

we have warm years and cold years, but over time there is a trend towards higher temperatures.

T

thanman

dibo said:
thanman said:

we have warm years and cold years, but over time there is a trend towards higher temperatures.
Yeah maybe.. but like skilbeck says. We may all turn off everything in our houses. But the power stations are still running and burning fossil fuels.. so we aint doing too much to be effective.. we should turn them off too. but then it poses security threats to various places... so to be honest. Meh.

we should take futurama's approach and move earth a bit further away from the sun.. it makes us cooler and extends our year.

good times :D

skilbeck

thanman said:
marinermick said:
serious14 said:

Besides, what makes us Westerners so special when we do it??   North Korea does it every day of the year farkin'!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

NERD RANT: read a statistics text book. you will learn that fitting a curve to a series of points doesnt involve simply connecting the dots. one or two cold years in one place of the world doesnt necessarily mean a trend of decreasing temperatures. they could either be used for the curve fitting where the curve is fit in such a way that the distance between the calculated curve and the measured values are minimised by varying the parameters of the curve. this would indicate that a cold summer in recent times is a lot warmer than a cold summer 100 years ago. or with reason, i.e. faulty measuring system or a weather pattern that is not natural and a small probability event, the average summer temperature could be disregarded as an outlier.

END NERD RANT

serious14

Dibo - something more "solid" for you perhaps.  :p

http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p36.htm

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/pluto_warming_021009.html

http://www.lubbockonline.com/news/092897/study.htm

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/19980526052143data_trunc_sys.shtml

Basically, when it comes to "climate change" or "global warming", or whatever you want to call it - our weather is cyclical, the weather on every other body in the solar system is cyclical, the solar cycle is cyclical, and the primary determining factor in the Earth's climate, amongst other things, is the Sun.  (Anyone want to explain why a solar flare bumps up the average temperature of the planet by a point factor of a degree and then that increase goes away when the flare - which can often last for months - dissipates??)  That's all there is to it.  Anyone claiming otherwise is ignoring cold (HA!!!) hard science.

NOW, don't think me some sort of heartless bastard when it comes to emissions.  I'm more than able and willing to look at emissions from a _humanitarian_ point of view, i.e.  reducing lung cancer in East Asia from shithouse air quality, saving the Amazon and other forests, that sort of thing.

It just strikes me as strange that anyone who dares to oppose the populist view towards global warming these days is treated as some sort of social pariah.......

dru

dibo said:
so long as emissions trading and mitigation goes on, fine and dandy. :)

Meh, every mine probably plants more trees each year for rehabilitation purposese than most other big buisnesses would in the name of carbon trading.

I hope that you are offseting all emsions produced to make your life bearable dibo. Or at the vary least paying the providers to do it.

What is also not mentioned is that a lot of the good work in cutting the power usage for the hour is undone when eceryone flicks the switch to put the lights back on which actually uses more power than running a lightbulb over a period of time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred