• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Crikey interview with BB

midfielder

No huge announcement but BB does give you a sense that we have excellent management and I love the way he gave those AFL type answers .. like we all want to be friends .

However the 14 team keeps coming up and the FA cup again so that's now about four times recently they have talked about the FA cup...

All good stuff

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/chappell/2009/05/22/crikey-sports-qa-football-federation-australia-ceo-ben-buckley/

Crikey Sports Q&A: Football Federation Australia CEO Ben Buckley
May 22, 2009 4:58 pm, by Leigh Josey

ben-buckley1Crikey Sports had the pleasure to talk to the man we all hope will deliver a World Cup to Australia whether we win it or we host it or both.

Football Federation Australia CEO Ben Buckley has grand plans for the game but doesnt think hed be much chop with the round ball. And he tipped the Kangaroos to beat Fremantle this weekend. Whatever.

Leigh Josey: Thanks for your time Ben. Exciting times for football in Australia; is it pretty easy to get swept away with how things are progressing at the moment?

Ben Buckley: Well whilst theres a lot to be excited about we cant underestimate the challenges ahead of us and the day to day turbulence of operating in a very competitive market place and in the current financial environment were living in.

So were happy with the progress weve made, were excited about the potential of qualifying for another World Cup, were excited about the expansion plans for the A-League - and in particular with the new teams coming in this year, Gold Coast and North Queensland and were excited about the prospect of bidding for and hosting a World Cup.

So I think all that activity means we have some exciting and positive momentum with us and behind us but we cant lose sight of the fact that there are a lot of challenges out there as well.

LJ: Absolutely. And particularly with the World Cup bid, hows that progressing?

BB: Well its a complex and comprehensive process to deliver the technical requirements to FIFA, its certainly a challenge on a number of fronts but were very confident that we can put forward a world class technical bid as Australias demonstrated its capacity to host major world events in the past.

LJ: Whats the major roadblock for FFA in achieving a World Cup here in Australia?

BB: I think part of challenge is convincing the FIFA world that whilst were a developing football nation that we do have the credibility and credentials to host the World Cup.

I think demonstrating that we do reside in the Asian Football Confederation - the fastest growing football confederation in the world with two thirds of the worlds population - theyre the sort of credentials we have to present to FIFA and the wider football world. As well as demonstrating that Australia is a safe, secure, wonderful, friendly and inviting country to come and participate in an event that is clearly the worlds biggest.

LJ: Any chance I can get you to rate our chances of hosting the World Cup:

BB: (Laughing) I think its best left to others to rate our chances or other countries chances. What I can say is that we will put forward a world class technical bid and back that up with an invitation to the world to come and experience our country and participate in an event that we hope we can make Australians proud of and more importantly FIFA proud of.

LJ: And if I can go back to the A-League for a moment. In terms of expansion, you were an administrator at the AFL at the highest level, and youre obviously well aware of the AFLs strident expansion plans into the Gold Coast and Western Sydney. The FFA are going along an expansion plan as well at a time when football is growing immensely, is that a philosophy you developed during your time at the AFL or do you just believe that now is the right time to push football into rugby heartland.

BB: Well first of all I think that every code has its own set of circumstances that will determine its level of appetite for expansion or not. I think clearly the A-League needs to go beyond eight teams and we set that as a priority some 18 months ago and were moving down that path.

Positively weve been able to bring two new teams into the competition and were looking to expand rapidly to another two teams to have 12 teams. So we think that the competition needs to be represented in all the major population centres around the country.

In some ways we are fortunate that we start with a relatively clean sheet of paper; we dont have the sort of density of teams in one city that some of the other codes have and I think we will end up with a very strong geographical spread for the competition.

Were not in some sort of false expansion race and were not expanding for the sake to keep up with the competition. Weve always believed that the competition needs to be 12 or 14 teams and pleasingly we are a fair way down that path.

LJ: Rugby League is a little embattled at the moment for various reasons, are you finding any roadblocks when youre try to push into NRL and increasingly AFL turf?

BB: No I dont think that there are any roadblocks at all

LJ: Or hostility?

BB: Or hostility. Its a competitive environment but weve always said that there is room for everyone to exist. Were not out to create any hostility towards any other sport or any other competition. Were doing whats right for football.

Theres a huge demand for football, and in particular an A-League team, in a number of places that dont currently have teams. And ultimately, strategically, we want to get to that 12 or 14 team competition and importantly we want to service that demand.

LJ: Which leads me to my next question Ben, about the possibility of Football Australia and the A-League introducing an FA Cup style competition. Is that something you are looking closely into?

BB: Yes we are looking into it. Well undertake a feasibility study in conjunction with the state federations and the A-League clubs.

LJ: Its an exciting prospect though for many reasons because its something that has a lot of romance involving clubs in the lower state leagues that other codes in Australia dont necessarily have.

BB: It is. Its a competitive format that is unique to football around the world and its a very celebrated tradition in football nations. But its not without its challenges in Australia particularly because of the geographical spread and the fact that professionalism - or professional football - doesnt go down to that many levels of the game. We have some complexities here that other nations dont have to deal with. Thats the purpose of doing a feasibility study and putting all those issues on the table and seeing whether we can create a competition that would answer those challenges.

LJ: A further Asian Champions League spot which could be allotted to the winning team would be fairly lucrative I would imagine?

BB: Well we havent decided that yet. Its an option were looking at and would certainly make it a competition that was playing for something of substance.

Of course you have to consider if it was won by a club that was more, I guess, of a semi-professional club than a professional club, how would you manage that? And how would visiting teams be managed? And how would travel schedules of semi-professional players be managed? And all those sort of issues that you have to deal with in an FA Cup style competition.

LJ: And how is your relationship with FFA Chairman Frank Lowy and how do you two work together?

BB: Theres a very positive working relationship between myself and the Chairman, and our management team and the board of the FFA, and I think thats important in any organisation whether it be sporting or a corporate organisation.

As a management team and a board we interact regularly and I think its producing the right result.

LJ: One of my favourite Socceroos images this year was after the recent qualifier in April against Uzbekistan in the rooms after the game. It looked very much like a locker room mentality where you and Frank were patting the boys on the back and having a laugh. I guess those sort of experiences make it all the more satisfying?

BB: Its a real team effort. Its not just about myself or the CEO or the Chairman. Everyone on the Board has a role to play, everyone on the management team has a role to play, everyone on the staff of the FFA has a role to play and every player on the pitch has a role to play. We approach it like a team; it doesnt matter who scores the goal it is a team effort and the team is much bigger than the team on the pitch.

LJ: If you wind the clock back and the round ball was your chosen game as a kid where would you find yourself on the field Ben?

BB: (Laughing) Erm cutting up the oranges?

LJ: Surely not. Maybe at right back or similar wouldnt you?

BB: Ive seen the skill level of the players I would have to compete with and Id be very happy to have a nice warm blanket on my legs on the bench.

LJ: Fair enough. And who do you think will win the FA Cup this year between Chelsea and Everton?

BB: Who do I think will win the FA Cup? Well given that Tim Cahill is playing for Everton Id love to see Everton and Tim win it.

LJ: Fantastic answer. And last but not least Im a big Fremantle Dockers fan Ben and your old mob, North Melbourne, is playing my mob this weekend. Do you still keep an eye of AFL?

BB: I certainly keep an eye on how the Kangaroos are going. Weve got off to a bit of a mixed start this year but I think the great thing about the competition this year in the AFL is that theres a big group of clubs that can make the eight so Id be very happy after a mixed start that we could pinch a spot in the eight.

LJ: So youre tipping the Kangaroos to beat Fremantle this weekend?

BB: (Laughing) Absolutely.

LJ: Well I guess well have to agree to disagree then. Thank for you time Ben and all the best with your endeavours.

BB: Thanks Leigh.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred