• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Covic injured - Danny a footballeroo??

FFC Mariner

only from 442 but anyway........

EXCLUSIVE: We're live at Socceroo training at Bob Jane Stadium in South Melbourne - and Covic has been injured.
UPDATED 12.15pm.
12.15pm UPDATE: Goalkeeper Ante Covic has picked up an injury. With Vukovic the only other keeper in camp and Mark Schwarzer a potential late arrival, suddenly there could be a crisis looming in goals.

Covic was taken off during the 11 v 11 match and is now receiving treatment.  :piralaugh:

I do hope the injury isnt serious enough to sideline him for a few weeks - just Griffiths to go now  :thumbup:

Alicia

Oh dear.......

An article on http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23134340-5006068,00.html  today said:

TORINO'S Vince Grella has been ruled out but Mark Schwarzer is assured of a start in goal for Australia in next Wednesday's World Cup qualifier against Qatar.

Socceroos coach Pim Verbeek made the decision yesterday not to force the trip home on outfield players involved in Sunday matches this weekend.

Grella plays for Torino against Reggina on Sunday and will be excused despite his willingness to make the long trip.

Schwarzer also is due to play on Sunday for Middlesbrough at Newcastle but Verbeek made an exception, declaring that his deadline of a Monday night arrival does not apply to goalkeepers.

Schwarzer is one of only two keepers named in the squad (Newcastle Jets' Ante Covic is the other) and it's obvious that Verbeek wouldn't be pushing him into the trip - and a Tuesday arrival in Melbourne - unless he intended to use him in the World Cup qualifier.

Despite the reservations from experienced players like Craig Moore and Kevin Muscat about the number of European-based players likely to make the trip, Verbeek is intent on testing out their commitment and is still expecting all 18 expats on his list to arrive in Melbourne.

That includes Harry Kewell, even though the Liverpool player is traditionally the worst effected by jetlag and rarely makes the trip unless it's for vital games.

"He's on my list. I have no messages that he is not coming. I didn't decide if he has to come yet but he's on the list like 18 other players," Verbeek said.

The national coach maintains that jetlag is not going to be as big a factor as the media is making out.

"I think we over-exaggerate the travelling and the jetlag because when I saw (Jacob) Burns and (James) Troisi yesterday, they had no problem at all," he said.

The national coach's whole energy is concentrated on the tactical approach to the game. He expects Qatar to play ultra-defensively, piling up to nine men and a keeper behind the ball and leaving one striker to exploit counter attacks.

It's a tactic the more experienced European-based players would counter better than the A-Leaguers.

Deej

Would love Covic to miss out - but if Aloisi was to get injured we'd miss him more than what Newcastle would Covic.

I doubt it's too serious thou and just a precaution

dibo

DJ said:
Would love Covic to miss out - but if Aloisi was to get injured we'd miss him more than what Newcastle would Covic.

I'm not so sure:

ANTE Covic's injury was the big news out of Socceroos' training earlier today however Michael Thwaite, who arrived from Norway this morning, trained well in the wet conditions.
James Holland slid into his club teammate Covic and a loud crack was heard when the two collided during the 11 v 11 session

Covic immediately left the pitch unaided and did not return. Socceroo officials were tight-lipped on the condition of the big Jets keeper.

If Covic is ruled out, it's likely Mark Schwarzer will be confirmed as playing and is likely to fly in immediately after his club game in Europe on the weekend. Sydney FC's Clint Bolton would be the obvious call up.

ummm...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:piralaugh: :piralaugh: :piralaugh: :piralaugh: :piralaugh:

Deej

dibo said:
DJ said:

I'm not so sure:

ANTE Covic's injury was the big news out of Socceroos' training earlier today – however Michael Thwaite, who arrived from Norway this morning, trained well in the wet conditions.
James Holland slid into his club teammate Covic and a loud crack was heard when the two collided during the 11 v 11 session

Covic immediately left the pitch unaided and did not return. Socceroo officials were tight-lipped on the condition of the big Jets keeper.

If Covic is ruled out, it's likely Mark Schwarzer will be confirmed as playing and is likely to fly in immediately after his club game in Europe on the weekend. Sydney FC's Clint Bolton would be the obvious call up.

ummm...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:piralaugh: :piralaugh: :piralaugh: :piralaugh: :piralaugh:

oooh ahhh - let's wait for some more news on that 1.......massive loss for Jets if it's bad

dibo

i know i shouldn't, but it's the jets...

that's farkin hilarious.

for the record i would pick him above danny at the moment, but we've got the most important derby match ever in 10 days and ante seems to turn into some sort of crazy super keeper when he plays against us, so any chance that he's gone is good for us...

dibo

James Holland slid into his club teammate Covic and a loud crack was heard
if covic misses the game, should there be a banner that says "come back james, all is forgiven"? :piralaugh:

brett

Jaza_SFC said:
kevrenor said:
Alicia said:
Meanwhile Bolton was never named in the squad??
After Danny, I'd rate Theoklitos and Galekovic in front of him.

Galekovic lol

If the criteria is 'keepers I have scored penalties against' Galekovic beats Bolton AND the Loko keeper.

Covic just copped a minor cork - he'll be fine.

dibo

brett said:
Jaza_SFC said:
kevrenor said:
Alicia said:
Meanwhile Bolton was never named in the squad??
After Danny, I'd rate Theoklitos and Galekovic in front of him.

Galekovic lol

If the criteria is 'keepers I have scored penalties against' Galekovic beats Bolton AND the Loko keeper.

Covic just copped a minor cork - he'll be fine.

that's it, fire up the truck. we'll have that sorted out in a jiffy.

thomas477

I dont think covic will be out for two weeks - not just as a jets fan - he will be back for the semi and both griffos will be back

bjw

bjw
Jets team mate James Holland slid into Covic and a loud crack was heard and looks likely that Covic is out of the Socceroos match against Qatar and also for the remainder of the Jets season

shipwreck

I find it pretty ironic that Holland broke Covic on the same day that a news article was published mentioning Holland as one of the "Game Breakers" on www.a-league.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred