• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Chairman’s Email 25/1

shipwreck

So by my quick math.... Next year we're on track to lose 4 million atleast? Since we won't have world cup money, nor big transfer fees and we will have a women's team which is definitely going to hurt, not help our situation

TC Redline

Personally Im ok with the letter and maybe some different styled accounting in losses being advised In the letter and I wouldn't think that many clubs in Australia are making money in any sports but I have liked what that the club and Rich is trying this year with different ways of engaging with the community and promoting the club.

I have liked the additions of signs this year on the way to the ground that is a cheap way of advertising when we dont have the local paper delivered anymore combined with the dwindling numbers listening to radio these days , dropping the membership price to try and gain more members, more engagement with schools and football clubs a little like the old days and i just see this as another go at trying something different and hey what is the worst that can happen. In my view you need to try different things to promote the club that aren't burning money and this is what I see this letter as.

I also like the non game membership mentioned in the letter trying to get To 10000 members which I hadn't really considered and might start buying for some of my family not living on the Coast anymore . The price of the membership this year was a steal too when considering you got paramount for free so potentially that needs to be marketed a bit more and hey when you go to the game you don’t have to watch or listen to their crap coverage and can listen to Pete announce YOUR Central Coast Mariners.

As for the poor crowds over time , Yeah you can blame poor refs which is true, woeful use of the VAR ( yep Erin was always right and just get rid if it), poor football administration running the comp and woeful scheduling of games which are dictated by the tv rights to name a few for people not coming but again in my view a lot of the the Central Coast public are poor and often lazy and it always seems too hot to come, too wet, too late , too cold and in my view too many excuses.

There are some awesome loyal and hard core fans on here that I have met along the way and I will continue to buy my membership each year as long as we are around but when you have around 16000 registered footballers on the Coast at least half of those should be going to most of the games.

I suppose Rich’s letter leaves a little negative taste after the positive Vibes from listening to Rich’s previous visions and interviews and the podcast but again I am taking it as a different style of marketing and again it can’t hurt and whats the worst it can do?

FFC Mariner

Personally Im ok with the letter and maybe some different styled accounting in losses being advised In the letter and I wouldn't think that many clubs in Australia are making money in any sports but I have liked what that the club and Rich is trying this year with different ways of engaging with the community and promoting the club.

I have liked the additions of signs this year on the way to the ground that is a cheap way of advertising when we dont have the local paper delivered anymore combined with the dwindling numbers listening to radio these days , dropping the membership price to try and gain more members, more engagement with schools and football clubs a little like the old days and i just see this as another go at trying something different and hey what is the worst that can happen. In my view you need to try different things to promote the club that aren't burning money and this is what I see this letter as.

I also like the non game membership mentioned in the letter trying to get To 10000 members which I hadn't really considered and might start buying for some of my family not living on the Coast anymore . The price of the membership this year was a steal too when considering you got paramount for free so potentially that needs to be marketed a bit more and hey when you go to the game you don’t have to watch or listen to their crap coverage and can listen to Pete announce YOUR Central Coast Mariners.

As for the poor crowds over time , Yeah you can blame poor refs which is true, woeful use of the VAR ( yep Erin was always right and just get rid if it), poor football administration running the comp and woeful scheduling of games which are dictated by the tv rights to name a few for people not coming but again in my view a lot of the the Central Coast public are poor and often lazy and it always seems too hot to come, too wet, too late , too cold and in my view too many excuses.

There are some awesome loyal and hard core fans on here that I have met along the way and I will continue to buy my membership each year as long as we are around but when you have around 16000 registered footballers on the Coast at least half of those should be going to most of the games.

I suppose Rich’s letter leaves a little negative taste after the positive Vibes from listening to Rich’s previous visions and interviews and the podcast but again I am taking it as a different style of marketing and again it can’t hurt and whats the worst it can do?
Good point. The people he wants to reach didn't get that email.

Meerkat

I thought he said it was for improving training/gym facilities
I definitely recall the players lounge being mentioned although I also recall the gym comment and thought surely the guy has access to gym / rehab equipment already. ..

Last edited:

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I suspect the 2 Mil loss is before player sales and WC income
It's portrayed as our actual financial position, not our financial position except X and Y.

It would be very dishonest to say WE HAVE A 2 MILLION DOLLAR LOSS.....(well, I mean, we would have if it weren't for these big cash injections we received.....)

So, given that with some player sales and WC income this is a good year for us financially, it suggests our financial situation is much more dire than it looks on the letter.

FFC Mariner

It's portrayed as our actual financial position, not our financial position except X and Y.

It would be very dishonest to say WE HAVE A 2 MILLION DOLLAR LOSS.....(well, I mean, we would have if it weren't for these big cash injections we received.....)

So, given that with some player sales and WC income this is a good year for us financially, it suggests our financial situation is much more dire than it looks on the letter.
If he wrote it himself (caveat) it's poorly thought out at best.
Execute sound strategies to grow the attendance numbers, members and sponsors. That's good management and is to the clubs credit
I'd say after 20 years of failure we ought to think about outsourcing corporate sales.

Reactions: adz

Ironbark

I've had a few friends and family message or say to me 'I need to get to more games' after that email.

Hard to say if it'll have any long term impact in that way.

Crowd numbers up has always got to be a key metric for sporting clubs to drive, but is there any reason (i.e. licencing rights) to why they can't use their brand to invest in other business areas?
A leagues club of sorts would surely be more profitable than football and owned by the club itself would put profits back where they need to be - with the team, staff and facilities.
I'd preference a CCM place to eat, drink and watch away games without hesitation as I'm sure many others would.

FFC Mariner

I've had a few friends and family message or say to me 'I need to get to more games' after that email.

Hard to say if it'll have any long term impact in that way.

Crowd numbers up has always got to be a key metric for sporting clubs to drive, but is there any reason (i.e. licencing rights) to why they can't use their brand to invest in other business areas?
A leagues club of sorts would surely be more profitable than football and owned by the club itself would put profits back where they need to be - with the team, staff and facilities.
I'd preference a CCM place to eat, drink and watch away games without hesitation as I'm sure many others would.
What about the hotel at COE? that was on track to be finished years ago lol.

midfielder

Just on the ground rental.... we received two separate 10 million grants and numerous other freebies to establish the COE.... seems a bit rich given most of the building has been sold to be paying rent when most of the costs associated with it were gifts

The COE was established to be a revenue base and training facilities... I guess set up as a trust ... those monies were provided to the club not a separate land trust ....

If we lost two million after transfer fees and then the real loss must be over 3 million....

Maybe we move the training facilities maybe its time we used our influence for the club to own its facilities....

Last edited:

pjennings

Just on the ground rental.... we received two separate 10 million grants and numerous other freebies to establish the COE.... seems a bit rich given most of the building has been sold to be paying rent when most of the costs associated with it were gifts

The COE was established to be a revenue base and training facilities... I guess set up as a trust ... those monies were provided to the club not a separate land trust ....

If we lost two million after transfer fees and then the real loss must be over 3 million....

Maybe we move the training facilities maybe its time we used our influence for the club to own its facilities....
The second $10 million regional grant was redirected by Abbott to Brookvale Oval wasn't it?

pjennings

Just a quick comparison of crowds this season. The whole league is not doing well - but for a small region we are doing pretty well. Adelaide is probably the standout - smallish market compared to the others in the top 4 crowds. Still close to a million more in their market than ours.

TeamGamesCrowdAverage
Sydney FC6111,27618,546
Melbourne Victory567,13113,426
Adelaide United659,0559,843
Western Sydney Wanderers658,1719,695
Central Coast Mariners963,4507,050
Newcastle Jets744,8436,406
Melbourne City530,3236,065
Brisbane Roar845,8455,731
Wellington Phoenix950,1715,575
Perth Glory623,1753,863
Macarthur FC727,0143,859
Western United824,3363,042

Last edited:

bikinigirl

Just a quick comparison of crowds this season. The whole league is not doing well - but for a small region we are doing pretty well. Adelaide is probably the standout - smallish market compared to the others in the top 4 crowds. Still close to a million more in their market than ours.

TeamGamesCrowdAverage
Sydney FC6111,27618,546
Perth Glory623,1753,863
Macarthur FC727,0143,859

. shows that Sydney and Victory don't need to be performing well to get decent crowds ... so the league can stop supporting them at the expense of all others now

gemkayem

TeamGamesCrowdAverage
Sydney FC6111,27618,546
Perth Glory623,1753,863
Macarthur FC727,0143,859
So we’re already averaging 7k, hopefully it won’t take an unrealistic effort to push that over 8. Last night was great at 8.5k but we can’t rely on the away fans to bump up the numbers every game, especially if it’s not a “local” rival aka Perth or Adelaide

Tevor

So we’re already averaging 7k, hopefully it won’t take an unrealistic effort to push that over 8. Last night was great at 8.5k but we can’t rely on the away fans to bump up the numbers every game, especially if it’s not a “local” rival aka Perth or Adelaide
To be honest we should have had a larger crowd last night, the call to arms didn’t really work and now families will be hesitant after the RBB’s behaviour that is going unchecked.

gemkayem

To be honest we should have had a larger crowd last night, the call to arms didn’t really work and now families will be hesitant after the RBB’s behaviour that is going unchecked.
It is such a shame they messed it up for everyone else. I thought they were bringing a great atmosphere until I saw what they were doing. 8.5k definitely sounded like more. Will be interesting to see how crowd numbers change now school holidays will be over - might be a more accurate/realistic number to work off

pjennings

It is such a shame they messed it up for everyone else. I thought they were bringing a great atmosphere until I saw what they were doing. 8.5k definitely sounded like more. Will be interesting to see how crowd numbers change now school holidays will be over - might be a more accurate/realistic number to work off
Last 4 home games against Wellington, Macarthur, Brisbane & City who won't bring many so that will probably show our base - the last two are double headers with the NPL team

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb