• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Mariners V Sydney FC

Rising Sun

Alot of negative in that.
the weather and the midweek games haven't helped.
And to boot there is hardly any media cutting through.
I'm hoping that the funding from the sold share of the Aleague, hasn't been used, so we actually have a war chest to work with next year. To do meaningful advertising.
The ch 10 viewing figures are more depressing than the attendences. You are right covid and the weather have been a big factor and they have that big war chest. But that big war chest is a one-off and needs to be spent very wisely. There needs to be a strategy that goes way beyond throwing it all at advertising.

The poor performer in those attendance numbers is not the Mariners - with 3 Saturday games including 2 derbies to round off the season, anything approaching decent weather and we should be able to push the average over 4k. The ones that are dragging the chain are Sydney, averaging right on the total league average of just over 5,000.

I know they are having a modest season by their standards, and are playing out of 2 home venues. But this is the premier club in one of the 2 biggest market places, who haven't finished out of the top 2 in the previous 5 seasons and played in 4 of the last 5 GFs (winning 3), and are well funded for both recruitment and promotion.

So it doesn't say a lot for their CEO and his leadership team if they are not able to leverage all of the advantages they have to promote the club and pull in well above average crowds. They should be pushing 10k averages even if they were having a spoon season. And of course the CEO is the same guy who is in charge of the ALP's one off war chest. Doesn't inspire confidence.

turbo

The ch 10 viewing figures are more depressing than the attendences. You are right covid and the weather have been a big factor and they have that big war chest. But that big war chest is a one-off and needs to be spent very wisely. There needs to be a strategy that goes way beyond throwing it all at advertising.
10 ratings have been disappointing but its higher than the ABC was. Ultimately you've touched on the main cause - that warchest and other resources need to be managed carefully. This season is a write off as far as attendance and promotion goes, there's been mass rescheduling, lack of continuity, broadcaster issues, covid, floods, heaps of garbage weather and teams playing out of home. I think they've eased off the promotion and we'll see a flurry around finals to set up next season. Covid will still be a thing but I dont think it will have the same bite next season.

There are a lot of Sydney fans saying they're done with Kogarah and waiting to go home next season so I'm sure we'll see an uptick there especially if they dump Corica. I'm not going to judge the league on this one but they have to get the next season spot on.

Tevor

10 ratings have been disappointing but its higher than the ABC was. Ultimately you've touched on the main cause - that warchest and other resources need to be managed carefully. This season is a write off as far as attendance and promotion goes, there's been mass rescheduling, lack of continuity, broadcaster issues, covid, floods, heaps of garbage weather and teams playing out of home. I think they've eased off the promotion and we'll see a flurry around finals to set up next season. Covid will still be a thing but I dont think it will have the same bite next season.

There are a lot of Sydney fans saying they're done with Kogarah and waiting to go home next season so I'm sure we'll see an uptick there especially if they dump Corica. I'm not going to judge the league on this one but they have to get the next season spot on.
Are you forgetting last season, average attendance of 5,600. That's two poor seasons in a row for the league now. It takes more than some flashy adds to get back the lost supporters from the last two seasons. People are not attending games or watching on TV, it does not get much worst than that to be honest. I know the APL didn't have control last season but they have done nothing different this season in my opinion other than promise the world and deliver a rubbish TV experience. A trendy new song is all we have to show from them in year one.

It could take 5 years for the league to recover to the levels of three seasons ago, if it even can and by comparison three years ago the League wasn't performing well anyway and that is longer than P- has signed up for. They better have some good strategies as I feel time is not on their side at all.

Back to the game, I hope we win as I love watching Corica's face when his team is imploding.

turbo

Are you forgetting last season, average attendance of 5,600.
I’m not, but finally we are seeing a way back to normality across society in general. Not suggesting things will be fixed overnight but the process can start for next season and that’s a step forward.

There’s positives ahead with borders reopening (easier to recruit OS), teams returning home, Sydney with their new ground to name a few. Those aren’t wishful or subjective. There’s other less certain stuff like Paramount fixing their sports offering which supposedly will be in place, advertising, clubs being able to get back into the community and promote at grass roots, this horrible weather system going away.

I don’t see any point about being negative about what may or may not happen in the future. There’s plenty of time for that when we get there.

Allreet?

The most important thing is quality on the pitch. If the games are good then people will come - in a normal year with no Covid or La Nina.

Mind you, I see a drop in a glass and I'll tell you it's 1% full.

Huddo

I am worried about how these two seasons have affected the Club's bottom line. I would hate to see a fire sale of players just to survive. Too much good work has been done.
Interclub trading would help us but it doesn't help the 6 clubs in the 2 big cities, so the other 8 get shit on.
There will be no 2nd Div whilst there is no trading allowed.

pjennings

I am worried about how these two seasons have affected the Club's bottom line. I would hate to see a fire sale of players just to survive. Too much good work has been done.
I think that is why re-signing players now is important. Players like Farrell, Smith, Tongyik, Nisbet need to be locked in for a 2-3 years. Miller too if not already gone.

Birraz, Rowles Hall and Cummings and Urena should also be extended from 2023.

TBH Nizz, Birraz and Cummings and Urena could all attract decent OS offers. Lock them in and then if they do go we at least have leverage for a decent fee.

Edit - P.s While we are at it a long term contract for Garang probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

Last edited:

Ads

The Mariners winning the Grand Final may actually be the underdog story that the a-league needs.

With the sheer amount of youth players playing minutes each week is great material for the league to work with and also supports the FA defence that young Australians are getting a chance and shining.

Leicester Cities EPL title win those years ago now was epic and needs to happen every now and then excite and envigorate the game.

Everyone loves a feel good ‘mighty ducks’ type story and might be what we need to gain just an ounce of interest from the broader casual viewer, regional viewers and normal viewers to take interest in other games.

The Mariners have such a smorgasbord of great characters and even super quiet achievers and great stories like baby Kuol so this year or next year the APL should be grateful if the Mariners get silverware to some degree.

Wombat

I dont think he's the best but he's ok as long as you dont expect him to give the little things. Definitely a ref you need to adjust your play for. Almost guaranteed to give out a random soft yellow after allowing attempted murder for half the game.
As a defender I loved refs like that. We had one called Brett who was a decent ref and a decent player but he would let you get away murder. I would literally pick people up off the floor and beg for forgiveness once the ball was out of the danger zone....5 times in the first half...."sorry mate, sorry mate" Second hald they would sub off or simply not venture into the box lol.
Next week, I would bump a player with my chest (no hands in sight) into the back....foul!
Fag is one of those flaky refs that fluctuate between, so you never can relax.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred