• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast local signs for SFC

finally retired

http://www.sydneyfc.com/default.aspx?s=sydfc_news_item&id=22249
Sydney FC signs 17-year-old striker Chris Payne
Sydney FC has signed 17-year-old schoolboy Chris Payne to a two year contract to complete the clubs allocation of U20 players in the first team squad for the 2008/09 Hyundai A-League season.
The striker will train with Sydney FC on a part time basis until the start of August when he finishes his commitments with Manly United, where he has progressed through the youth team system since joining them from the Central Coast as a 14-year-old.

a former Umina United junior now playing for the enemy.......another Holland ?  :yellowcard:

Paolo

If my memory serves me correctly he won the lucas neill scholarship last year. He was playing harold matthews for manly sea eagles or north sydney aswell at the time.

Kareem

Greenpoleffc said:
Meh...........

If he was good enough he would be playing for us.
crap- he is good enough
if he was available surely mariners would have signed him...devo
at least not as bad as Holland!

Paolo

Kareem said:
Greenpoleffc said:
Meh...........

crap- he is good enough
really? how many times have you watched him play recently?? Im guessing you must be down in sydney watching him every weekend?

skilbeck

He isnt really needed by us. We have 4 strikers (pending Mrdja getting fit) and therefore wouldnt add anything decent to the squad, even if Mrdja gets released we will replace him with someone with experience IMO

Kareem

Greenpoleffc said:
Kareem said:
Greenpoleffc said:
Meh...........

crap- he is good enough
if he was available surely mariners would have signed him...devo
at least not as bad as Holland!

Kareem, pm sent
oh thats wat the pm was for
are you actually that thick???
I was commenting on him
lets go 1st line
crap- he is good enough (crap Sydney got him...and yes he is good enough for HAL- bench)
how is that slagging?
that seems just plain stupid to me

Jolly_Roger

He did win the inaugural Lucas Neil scholarship and went to England and trialled for several clubs including Blackburn, West Ham and I believe Bolton?. I believe Chris was going great guns at Blackburn scoring several times for them in the youth games. I heard the decision not to sign him may have been a bit political as it coincided with Lucas leaving the club which was causing abit of a sh#t fight at the time.

I think he represented NSW at the national titles and finished as the highest goal scorer at the tournament in his age division. Any 17 yr old who is backing up for first grade in the NSW premier league has got talent. I believe he is rated very highly by Manlys First Grade coach.

To suggest that he wouldnt be up to playing in the mariners youth squad at the very least would be insulting. It is interesting to note that Sydney havent signed him specifically for their youth team (although he will probably play there weekly), but as an under 20 player for the senior team which probably says something of his playing potential as a 17 yr old.

On the subject of the mariners, they were interested, even had him training with them a couple of times I believe, but we sat on our asses and didnt act fast enough. I have it on authority the Kossie rates him very highly so they jagged him.

You cannot blame guys like James Holland or Chris Payne for making the most of the opportunities that are presented to them. Good luck to both of them I say.

FFC Mariner

Fair point.

Our 1st 11 is too strong for these kids to get game time so they go to weaker clubs??

Yes, I can see that

loyalist

Jolly_Roger said:
To suggest that he wouldnt be up to playing in the mariners youth squad at the very least would be insulting. It is interesting to note that Sydney havent signed him specifically for their youth team (although he will probably play there weekly), but as an under 20 player for the senior team which probably says something of his playing potential as a 17 yr old.

You cannot blame guys like James Holland or Chris Payne for making the most of the opportunities that are presented to them. Good luck to both of them I say.
It means sydney fc now have a very cheap u21 player (who will more then likely not be used) and can spend that money on another overage player.

The difference between James Holland and Payne is that Holland was offered a contract for his home town club and turned it down to go sign for our rivals whilst payne was not offered a contract by the central coast

Jolly_Roger

centralcoastyouth said:
It means sydney fc now have a very cheap u21 player (who will more then likely not be used) and can spend that money on another overage player.

The difference between James Holland and Payne is that Holland was offered a contract for his home town club and turned it down to go sign for our rivals whilst payne was not offered a contract by the central coast

I wouldnt imagine he will feature in Sydneys first team either. Maybe he might get a token appearance at a mariners home game if Sydney have got it in the bag.. My guess he will be a regular in the youth squad.

As far as holland is concerned, who knows.. may GVE was offering Holland more than just a contract, but a spot in the first team. This would sway any 18 yr olds thinking. This year he will be an integral part of Newcastles first team..would he be an integral part of the Mariners first team this year if he took the mariners up on their contract offer?

Nobody really knows the answer, not even Laurie. All I know is that when opportunities come knocking, you grab them with both hands and run with it. I would never kick the crap out of people for taking advantage of great opportunities that come their way because they dont come around all that often.

Jolly_Roger

centralcoastyouth said:
so your saying no players in this day and age should have loyalty?

Professional footballers are no different to anybody else holding down a job/career, your first priority in respect to your career should be to look after your own interests first.

People change clubs/jobs for a variety of reasons; financial, better opportunities, the people you play/work with just to name a few. For whatever the reason, James Holland accepted an opportunity to play with another club because he was offered a deal that in his opinion, was more attractive than what we offered. In doing so he is now an integral part of the first team (something he wasnt at the mariners) at the jets, and has been called up to the national teams train on squad with Pim. I am sure he has no regrets about his decision and nor should he.

Would such an opportunity have existed at the Mariners? Maybe it would have but nobody really knows that for certain. Last year he could of signed with the Mariners and sat on the bench all year occupying a Leo Carle type role and not even got on the park.

Generally speaking, its all very well for the clubs supporters such as us to bang on about loyalty but that doesnt put food on the table, pay your bills, provide for your family, or keep a roof over your head does it. Nor does loyalty necessarily provide you with the opportunities you might seek to advance or provide a fulfilling career.

I dont think he owes us anything. Its not like the mariners have developed him from the age of six or anything.  I mean he never even took the field for us and some people in this forum think that he owes us. I dont think he does...Good luck to the guy I say

FFC Mariner

Holland made the mistake of warming up tonight near a group of us.

Didnt seem to appreciate being called a Judas (and worse) either by the look of him.

Allsop copped a fair bit from the Bling as well

Kareem

one more thing...he played for Manly United- which theoretically is Sydney FC's righful hunting grounds??? So its not that bad...and as someone said at least he didnt lead us on or nothing!
Maybe we were going to offer him youth academy (easily good enough) and he wanted a squad spot with some oppurtunites (which like someone also said we are too strong for)

loyalist

Kareem said:
one more thing...he played for Manly United- which theoretically is Sydney FC's righful hunting grounds??? So its not that bad...and as someone said at least he didnt lead us on or nothing!
Maybe we were going to offer him youth academy (easily good enough) and he wanted a squad spot with some oppurtunites (which like someone also said we are too strong for)
dont we have a affiliation with manly united?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred