• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Celtic to play Sydney FC or Melbourne Victory

skilbeck

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/72425,victory-battle-sydney-for-celtic.aspx

EXCLUSIVE: Melbourne Victory will battle Sydney FC for the right to play Scottish giants Celtic in the off-season, says the club.
The one-off game is likely to be broadcast on TV by Channel Ten, who reported that the fixture was almost certainly in the bag for Sydney FC.

If so, this gives the harbour city club a glamour double after snaring David Beckham's LA Galaxy last November.

However, Victory CEO Geoff Miles, while not dismissing the Celtic tour was hopeful Melbourne was still in the frame.

We don't speculate on such things but we are looking to play international class fixtures and our interest and discussion in such a game is ongoing, he said.

It's known that there is consternation in Melbourne's business community of which Victory chairman Geoff Lord is very much a part - that Sydney may once again beat Victoria to a high profile international friendly.

Melbourne-born Scott McDonald is now a bona fide star with the Scottish giants having scored a bag full of goals this season. His appearance would be another major attraction for the Melbourne fans.

It's understood Celtic's one-off Australian match will follow a brief Asian tour in the off-season.

The last time the club toured Australia was in 1977, when they played in a four team tournament that included Australia B, Red Star Belgrade and Arsenal.

Ironically, current Sydney FC coach John Kosmina played against Celtic back then in a 3-2 loss for the Aussies.

I hope this does happen in Sydney. Ill be in the away supporters bay with my green and white shirt on. Who would be with me? :) :) :)

Good thing it aint against the mariners cos then i couldnt hate anyone enough to actively support the other

5-0 to celtic seems like a fair result to me ;)

~Floss~

Why are these things always about Sydney (or Melbourne - the other "big city" club)?

BTW that's rhetorical - I don't actually want to start another corruption / conspiracy thread.

Things like this should be used to reward and promote successful clubs while they (and their fans) sit-out the 12month Champions' League lag.... or, they should be shared around amongst all the clubs including the "battlers". So far they go to Sydney regardless of performance.

Is it up to the clubs to tee-up their own special events like this, or is the FFA doing it for Sydney?

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
someone get me a Celtic shirt ....and the name on the back of said shirt will be.....

[size=10pt][size=10pt]VENNEGOOR of HESSELINK[/size][/size]
:vhappy: :vhappy: :vhappy:

oh and the score 4 or 5 - blot

Atomic

I wonder what sort of money is involved in this for the A-league club. It's not fair if the host (be it Syd or Melb) get a huge financial gain from these type of matches. Being the 2 largest cities in Oz, they shouldn't need to boost their coffers in this manner. I'm relatively happy for them to host these sideshows, but any proceeds should be shared out amongst all A-league clubs.

skilbeck

Im just happy that Sydney or Melbourne are the ones that are gonna get their arses kicked. not to mention, be made the prison bitches of some angry, old school centre backs and defensive mids from the old country. But assuming the FFA is a transparent organisation that is a benchmark for the anti-corruption movement, the proceeds should go directly to them to be distributed out amongst all the a league clubs

skilbeck

RECKY said:
someone get me a Celtic shirt ....and the name on the back of said shirt will be.....

[size=10pt][size=10pt]VENNEGOOR of HESSELINK[/size][/size]
:vhappy: :vhappy: :vhappy:

oh and the score 4 or 5 - blot

yep you gotta get the shirt that possibly has the longest name on the back of it in all of professional football

FFC Mariner

Hope its SFC to watch the sweaties run the Cove all over Homebush :)

Wont attract the amount of newbies that Beckham did so hopefully it will be a football crowd this time.

MattSimon

The more football the better, and if it means we can sit in the away bay of SFS and give shite to Aloisi then I AM IN BABY!

~Floss~

Greenpoleffc said:
Hope its SFC to watch the sweaties run the Cove all over Homebush :)

Wont attract the amount of newbies that Beckham did so hopefully it will be a football crowd this time.

Football crowd? You mean 12-15,000?

Without all the "Newbies" (Spice Girls fans / readers of No Idea, etc) it might not need to be at Homebush.

MattSimon

I just assumed SFS myself... I mean Scotty McDonald is a handsome chap but I would dare say not in the same league as old Becks.

Nakamura might bring out a few Japanese fan bois and girlz

Sean

100 reasons why not to let Sydney represent Aus football against Celtic.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lquylg6AhSc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fU1a3_0wk5M

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EzNOlTapxOc

skilbeck

I dont reckon we would play Celtic even if it wasnt Sydney or Melbourne. I reckon if it was rangers we would have more of a chance because Lawrie and Fergie would use their contacts to try and stitch up the fixture for us

Kareem

I would rather play Rangers...like to see them lose. Although I would like to Mcdonald + friends
No2. was biddle (i hate that guy so much)
No1. was who? Carney??? (couldnt see that well)????
Some of those misses by Dwight mkaes me do a rethink of signing him for Mariners. Some of those misses are just terrible!

skilbeck

Kareem said:
I would rather play Rangers...like to see them lose. Although I would like to Mcdonald + friends
No2. was biddle (i hate that guy so much)
No1. was who? Carney??? (couldnt see that well)????
Some of those misses by Dwight mkaes me do a rethink of signing him for Mariners. Some of those misses are just terrible!

Well Biddle will be owned by McManus and co in the celtic backline

Demented Freak

Atomic said:
I wonder what sort of money is involved in this for the A-league club. It's not fair if the host (be it Syd or Melb) get a huge financial gain from these type of matches. Being the 2 largest cities in Oz, they shouldn't need to boost their coffers in this manner. I'm relatively happy for them to host these sideshows, but any proceeds should be shared out amongst all A-league clubs.
skilbeck said:
Im just happy that Sydney or Melbourne are the ones that are gonna get their arses kicked. not to mention, be made the prison bitches of some angry, old school centre backs and defensive mids from the old country. But assuming the FFA is a transparent organisation that is a benchmark for the anti-corruption movement, the proceeds should go directly to them to be distributed out amongst all the a league clubs

captainobviouslb4.jpg

They already do this with the finals series and exhibitions games, remember the proceeds from the LA Galaxy game were split among all 8 clubs, not just to Sydney.

Kareem

but dont forget the obvious benifits for the club. ie. increasing their club brand. Increasing their fan base (surely the LA Galaxy game must have made some small effect on SFC fan base).
But at least the splitting of proceeds is something!

midfielder

Which team would I like to see injuries come from..................hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, the choppers ..................

My vote in Sydney ..............and sydney to get smashed and not only on the score board.

skilbeck

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2109485.0.old_firm_tours_are_on_hold.php this is an article from about 9 days ago that might be of interest.

theres an unconfirmed rumor i found on the celtic forum as well saying that rangers are touring. probably not true but if they do tour, id hope the mariners would be able to get a game with rangers, given lawrie and fergies contacts. that said, if both clubs tour they will stitch it up such that melbourne plays one and sydney plays the other. Why? because the FFA said so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred