• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM HAL 12 - Formation

Gratis

Considering the players we have at our disposal what thoughts on the best formation for the cattle we have? This is not an area I'm particularly strong in analysing.

Or is it a case of the players have had a year (mostly) to get used to a system and there's more value in sticking with it than starting again?

If we don't have a ready number 10 should we simply go with a system that doesn't need one?
Essentially is there a better system that plays to our strengths with what we have?

dibo

From the other thread, I working on the basis of our fairly standard 4-3-3, I get:

1: Izzo/Ivan/THB
2: Roux/Poscoliero/Adelson
3/4: Faty/Poscoliero/Ascroft/McGing/[gap]
5: J.Rose/Neill/McDonald
6: Tavares/Montgomery/McGing
7: Ferreira/Bingham
8: Montgomery/Berry/Neill
9: Roy/Buhagiar/Fletcher
10: L.Rose/[gap]/Fletcher
11: Pain/McDonald/Neill/J.Rose

My first XI is:

Izzo
Roux - Faty - Poscoliero - J.Rose
Montgomery - Tavares
Ferreira ---- L.Rose ----- Pain
Roy​

In that setup, you could do without a 10 and basically tell the front 4 to go wherever the hell they like - that would suit us if we were playing someone like Buhagiar, Bingham or Fletcher up there instead of Liam Rose. You'd tell the players about certain shapes you want to see in attacking positions without tying an individual to a particular movement.

If you wanted to up the attacking personnel, you could drop out a DM for an additional attacker either alongside Roy or alongside Rose.

Izzo
Tavares
Ferreira ---- L.Rose ----- Pain
Roy - Buhagiar​

or

Izzo
Tavares
Ferreira - L.Rose - Pain - Buhagiar
Roy​

Whatever shape we're in, the critical thing is that the team needs to know what the 'team jobs' are.

With the ball, what runs should there be? What passes should always be on?

Without the ball, what spaces should be covered, where are we happy for them to have the ball and where do we press?

In transition, how do we break out when we get the ball and how do we shut them down when we lose it?

Each player needs to understand the team's movement in each moment and how they fit in.

Big Al

Yeah some sort of 433

Don't think our wingers suit a 442 as they don't like or suit defending

TW has talked about having more tactical adaptability but the squad doesn't lead itself to that especially with no number 10 not even an average one

Forum Phoenix

Yeah... 4231 or 4321/433 seems like the go based on our squad so far - and also our needs to aim at being more conservative/practical - read; conceding a shit load less.

Monty and Tavares are two players to build our system around - and if we're not bringing in the kind of 10 who can realistically aspire to be able to dictate a game for the bulk of 90 at HAL level - and this is a player we do not have yet imo - then Ferriera, Pain and Roy hitting on the counter off the back of ball winning by Roy, Tavares and Rose seems like the most likely plan to me.

pjennings

Copied from our squad thread - it probably should have been posted here. This is assuming Powell and Appiah-Kubi are signed.

Those two, without a true #10, actually might give a clue to how we will play this year.

We have 4 CM in Monty, Tavares, Rose and Berry. We have quick players that will track back on the wings in Pain, Trent, Appiah-Kubi and Bingham ( really a striker but has the work ethic and was deployed wide last year).

We have a striker who has proved he can score with service in Roy with backups of Fletcher and Powell. .... and then we have Fabio. Fabio has played as a CF 8 times in the A League for 3 goals. He does not track back well - but in a team with Roy, Bingham and Pain would he need to?

We may be better suited to a 4-4-2 (albeit with speedy wide midfielders) and line up as.

---------------------------------------Ivan/Izzo/THB------------------------------------

Roux/Adelson--------Posco/Ascroft---------Faty/McGing----------Neil/Josh/McDonald

------Bingham/Appiah-Kubi-----Monty/Berry----Tavares/Rose----Pain/Trent

---------------------------Fabio/Fletcher----------Roy/Powell----------------------

tsd

over 80% of pro football clubs world wide now play the 2 variants of 433 as a default, BUT it is very easy to argue a case for 442.

Its the 4222 variant that makes the most sense with our signings. In a team stacked with DM's and wingers/strikers, low on outstanding talent it makes sense. This is a team that can defend deep and counter fast, without relying on crafty AM's to "create"

--------------------------------------------Ivan-------------------------------------

Roux---------------------------Posco------------Faty-----------------------Neil

---------------------------Monty----------------------Tavares-----------------------

Fabio-----------------------------------------------------------------------------Pain

--------------------------------Roy O--------------Powell---------------------------

there are plenty of exciting prospects for the front 6 in liam, trent, fletch, bingers. so long as first choice defenders say on the field most of the season it should go well

Forum Phoenix

obrgr_3.jpg

Oh wait...
"HAL" formation.
My bad.

Wombat

-Ivan-------------------------------------

Roux---------------------------Posco------------Faty-----------------------J.Rose

---------------------------Monty----------------------Tavares-----------------------

Fabio-----------------------------------------------------------------------------Pain

--------------------------------Roy O--------------Powell----------

FFC Mariner

I can see Powell playing just behind Rory in the McBreen role.

Josh Rose is going to be a magnet for every attack, should have gone last year and I fear for us down that side

Wombat

I can see Powell playing just behind Rory in the McBreen role.

Josh Rose is going to be a magnet for every attack, should have gone last year and I fear for us down that side

I hear you but Micky Neill doesn't know how to defend. He is good going forward but worse than Josh in defence.
He will be good but killed us in several games last year.

dibo

I disagree with both of you - Rose is on the way out but not done yet, and Neill *can* defend.

Both were awful at times last year, but who wasn't?

A lot of players had very ordinary years last year - coming into this year we're going to have to remember that having a shit season does not a shit player make.

MagpieMariner

I find it interesting that after rubbishing the signing of Ivan the Terrible, every one is assuming he'll be our #1 keeper this year. I personally don't mind the idea, he has plenty of HAL experience (wasn't he FC's 1st keeper?) and he certainly knows how to direct the defence. He was very loud last Tuesday night, probably to keep himself warm, but he knew what he was talking about and the defenders did what he told them.

dibo

There's that much unspecified Izzo hate on here that if we signed Peter Dinklage he'd be listed as our #1 in a lot of people's formations.

localpom

I disagree with both of you - Rose is on the way out but not done yet, and Neill *can* defend.

Both were awful at times last year, but who wasn't?

A lot of players had very ordinary years last year - coming into this year we're going to have to remember that having a shit season does not a shit player make.
All the young players will be far better off this season with a few more experience players around them. And the fact they got the experience last year will hold them in good stead.

Wombat

I find it interesting that after rubbishing the signing of Ivan the Terrible, every one is assuming he'll be our #1 keeper this year. I personally don't mind the idea, he has plenty of HAL experience (wasn't he FC's 1st keeper?) and he certainly knows how to direct the defence. He was very loud last Tuesday night, probably to keep himself warm, but he knew what he was talking about and the defenders did what he told them.

Ivan has to be first choice keeper if Tony wants to stay in a job.

Forum Phoenix

There's that much unspecified Izzo hate on here that if we signed Peter Dinklage he'd be listed as our #1 in a lot of people's formations.
f**k YEAH!

Are we signing Dinklage? Now that's my kind of marquee! Even if we do only use him at half time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred