• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM Fans and the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Al

Some very valid points Al.

I would guess we have not had a director of football due to the cost. We have let that role be taken by the the coach and in Mulvey's case his agent who was more interested in his income than the Club. This is probably the most important factor in why we have been a wreck and not just an also ran.

I am hoping that Anton will fill that role.

He has the authority that Sean does not, and have it on a week to week basis, not just at the end of the season when the owner is told this coach or whatever is not working. I would like to think he is communicating with our current coach on a regular basis and having a fair bit of input.

I suspect Anton's appointment will be more important than buying a new coach and a new squad on an annual basis.

Fingers crossed.
Absolutely agree and he has the experience to support it as well.

Personally i can see a shift in the club. It’s small right now but i see the corrections.

Staj as had an up and down season but is also learning.

The youth system seems to be getting back on track and the club has a vision it’s building towards.

Better recruiting should have us doing better next year.

This year we are now competitive which is a huge step. While loosing is disappointing especially after the last few years if you stop and analysis you see the improvement

turbo

So many killer mistakes at club level that MC is not responsible imo
There have been a huge amount of questionable decisions at club level over recent years. The Okon/youth situation as you said is a great example. I've said it elsewhere CCM just doesn't seem to have someone that says 'wait, you want to do what? you want to give him how much?' Matty and Mcglinchey despite their recent efforts were suspect decisions that I can't see another club making so why did we? If this doesnt land at Shaun's feet then who is responsible for those kinds of calls and will/has there been any change? A manager especially an unproven one needs someone questioning them and making sure their decisions hold water and there have been red flags for fans with even a moderate knowledge of the league.
Maybe as AM says that's Anton as there have been less wtf signings this season and we've not had another Millar style stuff up yet.

Bolt for example. In the end he should have gone all in
The Bolt thing really disappointed me, not because I thought he would be A league standard but because with all his knowledge, resources and time he had every opportunity to at least turn up fit and have a proper crack at it. You could pick a random handful of all age players across the grades, give them the training & time and I reckon they'd make a better impression than Bolt did.

Pirate Pete

I know from personal experience Ettalong Diggers is another venue to steer clear of.
It used to be a good laugh in there years ago.
I was quite surprised to see them mentioned as an away day venue earlier in the season.
It's got to the point I don't trust any of these places anymore.
I sit at home and watch it on my laptop with homebrew.

Wombat

I have some different thoughts for you to consider.
MC is a half bad guy half good good with some wacky ideas.

Money is not the be all and end all. Sure in alot of sport the wealthy clubs win and especially in football as they pay more money to the better players. However if everyone had the same money exactly (in other words we were rich to) our mangement structure or lack there of is what is hurting us more than MC.

Your money is only good if spent correctly and if you are behind like we are and then spend poorly you get what we are right now

For me it’s our recruiting and managof crucial decisions. I had a shot at Shaun for our lack of leadership and vision to the structure of the football operations which is our core business. His response was he is not responsible for football related decisions as his expertise is not a coach or a recruiter or scout. While true it’s the level of accountability to the coaches and recruiters that is missing. If not shauns fault then who is responsible for setting up the clubs structure and recruiting guidelines? I blamw the CEO as he is the head of the chain. Others blame the Owner as he hires people to get it right. Could be both or it could be someone else but we don’t know who.

Paul Okon was so close but poor leadership or stubbornness from him ruined everything.
Pauls teams were very solid in the backs and mids and made us competitive with his setup. His problem was lack of adveture to attack after opening up the field. He valued possession over having shots on goal. He is a defender and this runs through his coaching. He needed someone with experience to teach him the attack part of the game.

His stubbornness maybe the problem and he blamed the club instead at looking at his own shortcomings. As soon as he started getting the shits and quit the club fell to shit again.

Paul was given the power to get rid of the youth coach (forget his name) who was having a great season and had the team within a whisker of NPL 1 (I believe that’s the case but not 100%sure)

Why would you allow him to get rid of someone successful in a club who prides itself on youth. Was a seriously stupid mistake. Made by who? Someone had to say no. You have to work with him. Especially as Paul was in his first job. If it was someone with long term success maybe consider it but not a green coach.

That brought instability to the youth setup when it was doing everything you ask of it and you potentially have unearthed a good coach as well. With a bit more time in the system he could have been ready for the first team just like a player.

Then we allow the signing of Kennedy. In the back of an achiles injury to a no 2 keeper who is slow and old and then hand him the no1 job

So many killer mistakes at club level that MC is not responsible imo

The vision of our small club is crucial. We will never have the corporate support of the big city teams. Why is football all about rich owners and fans demanding they spend so much money? Why is football not run like a proper business on financial restraints based on its income? For what ever reason it’s just accepted as how football is.

If our club was so worthwhile why is no one beating done the door to throw cash at MC to own it? Everyone yells sell but know one ever says sell it to me (for a decent valuation) - especially to stay on the coast. MC muobe given credit here. He could so easily sell it to someone who will move us ans cut his losses.

MC does however have a penchant for a gimmick. Bolt for example. In the end he should have gone all in.
But they even buggered that up. 15mins at the home game and a whole (basically farewell game) in fn Cambeltown. You can’t make this stuff up where is the planing the vision. You should have sold out CCS with a guarantee he was playing a full game. Just poor leadership and vision.
They can’t pull off there own gimmicks

MC is looking for sugar hits and who can blame him. We offer no commercial opportunities on the CC.

Sorry for the really long post as i hate reading them myself but I think MC cops a lot shit as an easy out. It’s simple to just say spend more you tightarse.

Look at Macormick.

Great post Big Al. The only line I would pick up is about Commercial opportunities on CC. The Bears supposedly had $2 million in sponsorship lined up and there are alot of big companies based on the Coast that would love to be associated with a SUCCESSFUL team.

Big Al

Great post Big Al. The only line I would pick up is about Commercial opportunities on CC. The Bears supposedly had $2 million in sponsorship lined up and there are alot of big companies based on the Coast that would love to be associated with a SUCCESSFUL team.
Thanks mate.

There’s a couple i can think of but against a big city like Sydney there aren’t anywhere near the same opportunities
And if weblow those ones available there aren’t many left

ING is one that hasn’t been explored thati know of but am not aware myself of other big companies like that. Obviously we have masterfoods.

Maybe we can do the work for the sponsorship team and draw up names of the big companies

How much lf that Bears money was coast based and not singo

FFC Mariner

Why does our sponsor have to be a cc company?
Its about brand exposure. Where your head office is doesnt matter
We cant sell and we arent successful. Pretty damning combination

turbo

Helps for corporate hospitality, giving the major sponsors the VIP treatment is hard when they’re not near by. But as you say we aren’t successful, even moderately so which makes the job very difficult.

Big Al

Its about brand exposure. Where your head office is doesnt matter
We cant sell and we arent successful. Pretty damning combination
It doesn’t but why choose us over SFC if you were a Sydney based company.

It helps to target companies with a CC connection but as you say it doesn’t have to be

FFC Mariner

I'd base our entire sales team in Sydney - I'd also engage some of our members to develop a coherent sales strategy because I know members personally who CCM wouldnt be able to afford on the best day they ever had who would gladly help build a sales function that works
Outsourcing the entire sales and sponsorship function is probably a good idea to be honest.

finally retired

I'd base our entire sales team in Sydney - I'd also engage some of our members to develop a coherent sales strategy because I know members personally who CCM wouldnt be able to afford on the best day they ever had who would gladly help build a sales function that works
Outsourcing the entire sales and sponsorship function is probably a good idea to be honest.
gee i hope shaun reads this. makes a LOT of sense

Ads

Very true.
I’d have a dedicated well known Central Coast based business developer to drive the local market.
Someone with connections to multiple types of local business and for connection with larger local sponsors (Mingara/CCLC,etc) + maintain masterfoods relationship.

If that one person could pick up 30/40 local supports and provide some good value and experiences could be a strong platform to support the growth of the bigger hitting sponsors to show them we have lots of backing and support.

As you said but, as a prospective employee, kinda like a player at the moment,
Would you really want to work for the Mariners as would be a difficult task at not the best pay.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Hey Shaun..tell that sanctimonious arsehat millionaire owner that his killing his f**king investment ...I think in 16 odd (very odd) years I think me and Mrs Recky have missed maybe a handful of home games , now we’re struggling to be bothered after 6 seasons of underspending bullshit ...AND WERE NOT THE ONLY ONES REST ASSURED

neverwozza

Jesus if anyone wants a wake up call on how bad things got around here read the highlighted bit below. I guarantee you this never would have gotten legs under Shaun's watch and probably is a good indication of the lunatics in charge of the place back then. I personally believe we have really turned the corner as long as we keep Stajic and he is allowed to spend at least or close to the salary cap. I can see him making improvements to the squad and he will have improved himself this year as coach as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-to-burnish-golden-crop-of-australian-coaches

Phil Moss was prepared for the sack before he was ever appointed a head coach. “I’ll never forget the first day of my A Licence,” he recalls. “The instructor wrote on the whiteboard: ‘There’s only one sure thing about professional coaching, and that is you will get sacked’.”

That sure thing happened to Moss in February 2015, just over a year after taking charge of Central Coast Mariners. Based purely on results – three wins in 19 games during Moss’s second season at the helm - it was an uncontroversial dismissal. “At the end of the day it’s on my head. I’m the head coach, I’m responsible for that,” he accepts. “But people need to understand there is a backstory to the performance of every team, and it’s not just the coach.”

This particular backstory included a complicated working relationship with the club’s hierarchy. “I was asked to set up for a rugby lineout at a corner,” Moss explains. “That was designed to create headlines and get the Mariners brand viral. But it was never going to happen. In my mind it was playing with a coach’s career and asking the players on the pitch to do something not within the spirit of the game. For me that was a bit of a sign of the tide turning.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami