• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM Fans and the club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then outside of the cap there are 2 marquee players and one designated player (slight technical diiference but means 3 players you can spend how you like). Then there are a heap of salary cap concessions such as home grown players, loyalty players, mature age rookies all who can have a % of their salary outside the cap. Finally there are scholarship players that clubs can now have up to 16 players on contract that sits outside the salary cap as well.
Basically saying, here's the cap, then here's the long list of ways to get around it... seems to be that many, may as well say limit the foreigners to 3 then spend what you want...

FFC Mariner

Salary cap for the up coming season had been incrased by a bit over 10% - its a little tricky as last season was covid affected.
The rules for the salary cap would be bigger than all the commentary on this forum combined. But the basic principle is that there is a basic cap for the majority of the playing squad with a minimum of 18 players that need to be applied to the salary cap. Then outside of the cap there are 2 marquee players and one designated player (slight technical diiference but means 3 players you can spend how you like). Then there are a heap of salary cap concessions such as home grown players, loyalty players, mature age rookies all who can have a % of their salary outside the cap. Finally there are scholarship players that clubs can now have up to 16 players on contract that sits outside the salary cap as well.

The APL has an internal resource to manage the salary cap compliance and this is audited by independant auditors. I'm not sure who the external auditors are.

Penalties for breaches are primarily fines unless systematic compliance issues are found which can result in any number of sanctions, primarily points deductions and specific compliance orders than can be placed on the club from the league.

Whilst Newcastle is being owned by Chairman of other clubs the structure is that they have an Executive Chairman in place who is independant - I am unsure of what that means for the voting structure of APFCA but from what I've seen so far there has been very little to vote on as the majority is in general agreement across the Chairman to date. Any votes the Chairman have in regards to the the congress is a collective anyway so Newcastle structure doesnt have an impact here that I can see.

I hope this answers some questions for you?
If there was ever a compelling argument for dumping the cap completely, this is it.

Rich clubs are able to spend far more than the poor clubs (us) which completely defeats the purpose of a capped league. Football is about the rich dominating the poor, alweays has been always will be so just let it rip and scrap the cap

turbo

If there was ever a compelling argument for dumping the cap completely, this is it.

Rich clubs are able to spend far more than the poor clubs (us) which completely defeats the purpose of a capped league. Football is about the rich dominating the poor, alweays has been always will be so just let it rip and scrap the cap
The cap has been that way for years, but last year with the cap reduced was one of the most competitive in years if not ever. Coincidence?

turbo

I think that was Covid TBH
Covid caused the situation that let Foxtel drop the $ which led to the cap reduction so yeah it was responsible but that doesn’t change anything.

It also made it more difficult to sign foreign players through many still did or were already here and that is a factor too.

Kripple

Thanks for the update Shaun but doesn't answer what is the actual cap and is their a minimum spend (85 %) and if there is, is that what you are operating on.
I take it that no response confirms that we are operating on the minimum spend again. We therefore have to hope that we have as good a run with injuries as last year, that Monty can coach as well as Staj and that we find 4/5 NPL signings who can step up to fill the gaps left by losing 4 starters and 5 of our bench players. Replaced so far by two starters.

priorpeter

I take it that no response confirms that we are operating on the minimum spend again. We therefore have to hope that we have as good a run with injuries as last year, that Monty can coach as well as Staj and that we find 4/5 NPL signings who can step up to fill the gaps left by losing 4 starters and 5 of our bench players. Replaced so far by two starters.

Shaun’s always been very open and transparent with anything asked of him, including our spend - in fairness, I’d suggest that no response would simply be down to the fact that he hasn’t logged on here for the last 7 days more than anything else.

midfielder

Shaun

Can you update the following if possible.

1. Gosford Stadium Update,
  2. Expansion at COE, land purchase 5 blocks, new motel, new fields etc,
  3. Is the club still for sale and are there any interested buyers,
  4. New signing will they be say;- from Overseas, Other A-League clubs, State leagues, Mariners Academy,
  5. Our budget size,
  6. With Reece, Kuol & Gianni sold will there be much in fees to the Mariners to help with player wages this year.
Cheers

Middy

Shaun Mielekamp

Thanks for the update Shaun but doesn't answer what is the actual cap and is their a minimum spend (85 %) and if there is, is that what you are operating on.
Hey Kripple, apologies I have been flat out and havent had time to jump back on to see this. The floor is 90% of the cap, we are going to land somewhere between the floor and the cap. The actual cap to my knowledge hasn't been confirmed publicly yet - but should be somehwere between $2245000 and $2255000 - not sure it is my place to say publicly on behalf of the league ;)

Shaun Mielekamp

Shaun

Can you update the following if possible.

1. Gosford Stadium Update,
  2. Expansion at COE, land purchase 5 blocks, new motel, new fields etc,
  3. Is the club still for sale and are there any interested buyers,
  4. New signing will they be say;- from Overseas, Other A-League clubs, State leagues, Mariners Academy,
  5. Our budget size,
  6. With Reece, Kuol & Gianni sold will there be much in fees to the Mariners to help with player wages this year.
Cheers

Middy
Hi Midfielder
Unfortunately I cannot comment on the stadium as there is a tender process underway that restricts any commentary.
The COE has been able to ourchase some surrounding lands that are not for development but add value to the site. The hotel is due for DA submission in the next few weeks
The club is always for sale, there are always interested parties but never firm offers - i do not predict that there will be any movement here in the near future until the stadiums future is clear.
New signing are on the way - yes overseas.
Our budget size is 18 players on the roster and we will end up between the floor and the cap with Scholarship players
The players sales are great and always helpful, hopefully when covid lifts we will be able to showcase some of the upgrades made to the training grounds at the COE as well.

I hope this all helps

midfielder

Hi Midfielder
Unfortunately I cannot comment on the stadium as there is a tender process underway that restricts any commentary.
The COE has been able to ourchase some surrounding lands that are not for development but add value to the site. The hotel is due for DA submission in the next few weeks
The club is always for sale, there are always interested parties but never firm offers - i do not predict that there will be any movement here in the near future until the stadiums future is clear.
Our budget size is 18 players on the roster and we will end up between the floor and the cap with Scholarship players
The players sales are great and always helpful, hopefully when covid lifts we will be able to showcase some of the upgrades made to the training grounds at the COE as well.

I hope this all helps
Thanks Shaun....

Thats encouraging on a number of fronts

Kripple

Hey Kripple, apologies I have been flat out and havent had time to jump back on to see this. The floor is 90% of the cap, we are going to land somewhere between the floor and the cap. The actual cap to my knowledge hasn't been confirmed publicly yet - but should be somehwere between $2245000 and $2255000 - not sure it is my place to say publicly on behalf of the league ;)
Thanks Shaun for clarifying. Appreciate you keeping the fans informed as much as you are able to in these uncertain times.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
gday Shaun,
any word on a Covid bubble situation like the NRL started to protect the running of the season ?

Michael

Hi Midfielder

I hope this all helps

legend shaun, thanks yet again for the insights and updates. It is never under appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb