• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Breakers

thomas477

Im new so what is the deal with the breakers' fans becoming fans of marinators ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Im really confused so any help would be appreiated

Thanks

jacksonpopcornqf7.gif

kevrenor

thomas477 said:
Im new so what is the deal with the breakers' fans becoming fans of marinators ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???  I'm really confused so any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Well many trees have been cut down writing about this in the past, but unless you want to do serious research and PM Mr Celery, and so as not to bore others, I'll paint you a brief picture:

Newcastle Breakers FC, playing in the old NSL, a community and family club very much like the Mariners. Great supporters, including the legendary Rowdies (with 25 year history), and an active supporters club - I was in both. Owned its own boutique stadium (Austral Park) (now lost to football and sold to greyhound racing).

See it in 2000, owned by David Hall a football loving businessman with unfortunately shallow pockets.  Breakers pulling 7-8K (good for NSL) and on edge of making finals.  NB striker Andy Harper misses 2 penalties, by miles and NB miss finals. Rumours of secret meetings with the players (led by said AH) and coach, Lee Sterrey. Pre Season financial problems, Con Constantine offers to cover a pre-season comp.  Con is trying to buy the N Knights and wants the Breakers to move to EnergyAustralia Stadium to help in bid for rebuilding money.  NNSW Soccer Fed. feuding with David Hall. See the connections already?

Sept 2000 - I still have the SMS from Mariner Mick - 'Soccer Australia kick out Breakers' .
A conspiracy (yes that's the word) between Con Constantine, Soccer Australia (who trumped up false claims of payments to players being behind (they were not), NNSW Fed (who had a say in who played for their region), and the coach and some players has ended with the Breakers shafted, and in it's place come the 'white knights' (sic) Newcastle United, now the Jets, sign up the players and move to the sandpit. I spit on the lot of them!

Many Breakers fans vowed never ever to support them. Some are lost to the game, some (especially those who have moved to the Coast, or live within easy reach of Gosford, lept at the chance to support a community & family club like their old one (as did some Northern Spirit fans whose club folded with the NSL).  We are not large in numbers and some due to their positions will rename un-named, but we few old hands are proud to have helped get this club started in our little ways.  We are now proudly Mariners 'til we die. The past has gone.

Mr C or MM may want to say something .... but we will not argue with anyone from the Jets about this history (we have it documented) ... your posts will be deleted ... we've bored everyone enough.

FFC Mariner

And sadly for the game in the Hunter I know 4 or 5 people who wont go anywhere near the Jest until Con leaves. They cant bring themselves to follow another HAL side but have very long memories.

marinersman

Krev, you got me thinking about Newcastle Football. Do the Adamstown Rosebuds still exist?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they the oldest existing Football club in Australia?

I remember them from when they were in the NSL.

kevrenor

marinersman said:
Krev, you got me thinking about Newcastle Football. Do the Adamstown Rosebuds still exist?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they the oldest existing Football club in Australia?

I remember them from when they were in the NSL

the Newcastle NBN league can be found here:
http://www.northernnswsoccer.com.au/nnswbn/htstart.cl

Adamstown Rosebud are in:
http://www.northernnswsoccer.com.au/nnswhd/

Their league history here:
http://www.ozfootball.net/ark/Clubs/A/AdamstownRosebudDH.html

Not sure how old they are, will try researching further. I suspect Wallsend would be older, Mr C may know.  Oldest club in Australia (after Granville folded in the 90's) is Balgownie Rangers:
http://www.balgownierangers.com.au/

Omni

Greenpoleffc said:
And sadly for the game in the Hunter I know 4 or 5 people who wont go anywhere near the Jest until Con leaves. They cant bring themselves to follow another HAL side but have very long memories.

Would love to see someone actually expose Con for the Con he is I CANNOT believer Cockerill ran a positive article about him!

marinersman

Do you Newcastle old boys remember Andy Roberts?

I can remember him being a fairly handy player, but I'll never forget seeing him on QF5 to Frankfurt the day before our game against Japan in Germany. He was dressed in a gold suit strutting around the plane wanting everybody looking at him. And don't worry, he got plenty of attention.

Must admit, he looked pretty damn good. ;D

Seemed like a decent guy but a bit of a pretty boy.

I'll never forget him on the flight over.

ryan

I always thought Andy Roberts was an underrated player. He seemed able to mark anyone out of the game.

nero

Andy Harper was great to watch. I saw him play for both Breakers and United. Wasn't he the most capped player of the 90's of the breakers?

marinermick

andy roberts, and many other local players (glenn moore, harry james, etc), were screwed around massively by john kosmina when he was the coach of the breakers

kosmina once told him in front of the players that he was shit and the only reason he was still there is for his contract

anyway a few years later when kosmina was booted as breakers coach and coaching brisbane, roberts scored a screamer against brisbane and made a straight b-line for the brisbane bench with massive celebrations in front of him

andy was a top bloke and a gentleman - not technically great but always gave 100%

a bit like matty simon

marinermick

oh, and he could man-mark like no player

just followed the player all game giving him no relief

remember once he was marking paul trimboli

here was a break in play and trimmers went over to the sth melbourne bench to get a drink

in the funniest thing i have seen on the football pitch andy tapped trimmers on the shoulder and asked if he could get a drink from his water bottle

totally stunned, trimmers obliged

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred