• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Beware The Mariners

clarence

Well I guess we are all going to have to enjoy the juicy odds given for Mariners wins and draws for now, until the betting folks wake up.

Given the equality within the squad, I'd even suggest folks look at the 'Minor Premiership' odds. If the way to winning 'first past the post' is to have a solid team of equal or near equal players, then I think we've come pretty close to it with this squad.

People like Foster and Slater can go f**k themselves for all I care.

FFC Mariner

100% spot on, we had a much stronger bench than MV and Adelaide had 4 kids on theirs. Our squad overall is as deep if not deeper than anyone elses and as suspensions/injuries kick in, its the best squad NOT the best 1st XI.

Shows that none of the journo's have bothered to study the sides in depth, they just rehash the same lazy cliches every pre season.

northernspirit

FFC Mariner said:
100% spot on, we had a much stronger bench than MV and Adelaide had 4 kids on theirs. Our squad overall is as deep if not deeper than anyone elses and as suspensions/injuries kick in, its the best squad NOT the best 1st XI.

Shows that none of the journo's have bothered to study the sides in depth, they just rehash the same lazy cliches every pre season.
judging first XI v's first XI true we would struggle but EVERY team will have injury problems and if it hits their stars i.e Hernandez Melbourne, Dodd Adelaide, Miller Brisbane etc... who is going to replace them.

The other thing is we havent seen much of our new boys yet and noone in the media seems to have considered their influence, for mine Doig was a huge influence on Thursday night and it seems McGlinchley and Travis have the ability to perform similarly themselves.

Jazzie

Sheer joy at beating the scum :)
Arabmariner said:
dibo said:
A cautionary note however
Nope.

I disagree.We should gloat and give out heaps while we can..........it might only last a week you know!

If we go another six months without winning you'll have missed out on the week of fun!

;)

my thoughts exactly Arab. make hay while the sun shines. sort of releasing the valve. :)

Wombat

We were excellent and extremely well drilled and showed great discipline for a change.  I thought Hutcho had a very solid game.  It was a bit of a smash and grab and i hope we don't play only one striker again.  Having said that..... hats off to LM.

Kareem

ok
good points guys...
so does this mean we will have a crap finals campaign?
I dont see any way of us winning a GF...
we are definately looking like we will play better in league rather than finals IMO
thoughts ?

Jazzie

Sheer joy at beating the scum :)
Kareem said:
ok
good points guys...
we are definately looking like we will play better in league rather than finals IMO
thoughts ?

No disrespect Kareem ... you know more about football than I, but you can tell all that from one game?

promdi442

whatever happens when we make the grand final it will be an away game for us. So if the boys can play with that discipline in the cauldron of a grand final then it doesnt matter if you dont play pretty so long as the result is the correct one.
1-0 against victory at the sfs (after we qualify first) in exactly the same style as last Thursday  . . . i would be happy with that.

Kareem

Jazzie said:
Kareem said:
ok
good points guys...
thoughts ?

No disrespect Kareem ... you know more about football than I, but you can tell all that from one game?
i meant in the way of we are going to be consistent...but on a oneoff game especially against a team like Victory in a GF- you got back them IMHO

maybe against GC...we could feel confident- we are more experienced...

My views are conservative...i said 5th place finish for us...we could sneak into top 4 even, but I would rather be modest with my predictions...

happy to be proven wrong in 8 months time...
but it's hard to go from no win in first half fo 2009, to winning the league. But I have to say McKinna has defied the odds...and has recruited extremely well in such a short period of time!

Forum Phoenix

Kareem said:
ok
good points guys...
thoughts ?

Why? I completely disagree Kareem...

We did not struggle to score goals for the bulk of last year, yet our attacking line up is stronger than last years and now we just demonstrated that we finally have a new level of defensive steel that we haven been clearly missing. One off? It wasn't just great defence last night, what I think is even more important here, is who we did it against and WHERE. You don't beat MV at home with a clean sheet unless your defence is doing a HELL off a lot right.

As to winning a GF, a performance like this is exactly how the majority of GF's I've seen are played out. Rarely free flowing goals fests. More often hard fought gritty team games, with the team with the best defence generally prevailing.

To win the league, we do need to be able to create and dominate in attack. But this was not the game plan at Etihad, nor should it have been.

We won't play what was essentially 4 5 1 at home, or every time away. But it was a well deserved and necessary mark of respect to do this against MV. But make no mistake, we beat them and beat them well. Not because of creativity, no, but because we executed a perfect away game against a strong side. That takes heart, skill and above all 90 minutes of VERY HIGH mental intensity. No one I have seen play in this round has shown the ability to play 90 minutes at the level of mental intensity that we produced on Thursday night. Imo this above all is what consistently wins games. It's a difficult thing to acquire, and I think its no coincidence that the players left out of the squad or not starting, were Caceres, Nik and Ahmad, they go missing, (Hoping they will rectify this a they all have great quality) It looks that Lawrie knows exactly what he wants form his squad, 90 minutes of heart and balls and i looks like the squad know it to. Imo if we maintain this intensity, we can certainly win the lot this year.

Honestly, name an area where we are deficient? Defence? Mids? Attack? Squad depth? Intensity? Best fans?

It's all good baby... its all good.

:eek:verhead: :eek:verhead: :eek:verhead:

FFC Mariner

Kareem, have you seen anyone to scare us? Apart from needing to keep an eye on GCU, we have seen nothing so far that should cause us any concern whatsoever.

As to a GF, personally, I couldnt give a flying. League champs matters, winning a made for tv post season cup doesnt.

Yes, its only 1 game in and yes, I am pissed but we may well give this comp a hell of a f**king shake

David Votoupal

It's early days and anything can happen, and teams can more easily turn their season around than previously. But the Mariners possess the weapon to cause fear in opponents in Matt Simon, even during the winless streak he was still a constant danger.

There isn't going to be as much to separate most teams as pre-season predictions foresaw, especially as most seem to be nothing special defensively.

Roy Law

Wow! This A League is already buzzin'. Two great local derbies coming up then a long spell on the road perfecting our 4-2-3-1 (thinly disguised 4-5-1 but hey, if Pim can call it 4-3-3 so can we) and I'm already looking forward to the home game against the Gold Coast and a couple of weeks later Robbie Fowler comes to town. This is all good :eek:verhead:

Kareem

FFC Mariner said:
Kareem, have you seen anyone to scare us? Apart from needing to keep an eye on GCU, we have seen nothing so far that should cause us any concern whatsoever.

As to a GF, personally, I couldnt give a flying. League champs matters, winning a made for tv post season cup doesnt.

Yes, its only 1 game in and yes, I am pissed but we may well give this comp a hell of a f**king shake
I think GC are a big worry...
i also think MV, Brisbane are prospects. And yes I am aware we owned MV. But the thing is can we keep up this performance week in week out?

I just think its too early to start the v3 hype all over again.

dub

Roy Law said:
I thought Hutch was magnificent;embodied what the club and the team is about - unselfish, never stopped running, bite in every tackle, up for the fight and put his heart, soul, blood, bone and body on the line without question. Pure team player in a pure team performance.
and BTW - on Bosnich, from Olympic site "But this was a Bosnich diminished by age and extra pounds, and despite a few magnificent saves, his performances were tinged with embarrassment...not least when he was caught a mile off his line by Sydney United's Peter Markovic in a crucial game late in the season, thus conceding a horror goal." ...I don't think we need him, the Jests can have him.

Roy I was there to see this horror goal as described and he was off his line but that was only one count how many times have you seen Danny in the last 4 years off his line and get even worst goals and sent off.

I certainly don't wont him against us with the Scum as Ben is easier to score against?

Forum Phoenix

Kareem said:
FFC Mariner said:

I think GC are a big worry...
i also think MV, Brisbane are prospects. And yes I am aware we owned MV. But the thing is can we keep up this performance week in week out?

I just think its too early to start the v3 hype all over again.

Right, then Kareem I seriously recommend saying something like...

We did well but as it's only one game in... blah blah blah...

As opposed to saying what you actually said...

" I don't see ANY WAY of us winning a grand final"
after we've just beaten last years dominant champs at home, something rarely done by any team.
  ??? ::)

And if you want to talk about it being too early to make calls... I can't see there's any way of us winning the GF - after one round is surely almost as ludicrous as someone saying they cant see how we can fail to win this years GF. In fairness, at least they would be responding to what they just saw. But you see a good performance by your team, away against last years champs and somehow that computes to you can't seeing us winning a grand final this year? And this is before any of the other 8 teams have even kicked a ball! Have you considered a job on fox sports Kareem?

Oh and while we are here, the its only 1 game in and lets not get too carried away stuff... every one knows this. But after a cold hard run, when we've just seen our new signing coming good, and some decent light at the end of the tunnel, I think Arabs enjoy the sun while its shining philosophy is a much more realistic and enjoyable football philosophy than talking pointless negative crap without any supporting arguments about GF projections based on round 1 match 1.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred