• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Award for Positive Contribution to Football Analysis

dwardie82

Hi all,

I'm fairly sure that given the history of topic threads that have appeared on this forum, Mariners fans would agree that media coverage regarding our team has been fairly ad hoc in recent years. History would suggest that the Mariners tend to be a team that are heavily scrutinised when playing badly, and generally ignored when producing results.

I have seen threads that have been created to denounce poor journalism. However, i believe there is very little in the way of recognising writers producing strong and informed pieces of writing.

There are some great writers out there. For anyone who has had the pleasure of reading any of Tony Tannous' articles, i think that you would generally agree that he is an insightful analyst. But i suspect, in fact i'm sure, that i am not aware of all of the writers that are out there in the writing sphere.

Feel free to stop me if i'm heading down a path that has already been explored.

I think that Mariners supporters should push the club to recognise, as part of their awards at the annual dinner, a football writer of the year. This would be an award nominated and voted by Mariners supporters.

I don't want to inflict too many of my thoughts on how this would work. But there are a couple of discussion points here:
- I would like to think that this award would be given to writers who produce strong pieces of writing, not just writing that supports the Mariners cause. Obviously a conflict of interest emerges when using Mariner supporters.
- This would need a significant push from the supporters group (which i confess i am not an official member).

I think this would be a unique and positive contribution by our supporters. Please discuss... any feedback on this idea would be appreciated.

Andre_1

dwardie82 said:
Hi all,

I'm fairly sure that given the history of topic threads that have appeared on this forum, Mariners fans would agree that media coverage regarding our team has been fairly ad hoc in recent years. History would suggest that the Mariners tend to be a team that are heavily scrutinised when playing badly, and generally ignored when producing results.

I have seen threads that have been created to denounce poor journalism. However, i believe there is very little in the way of recognising writers producing strong and informed pieces of writing.

There are some great writers out there. For anyone who has had the pleasure of reading any of Tony Tannous' articles, i think that you would generally agree that he is an insightful analyst. But i suspect, in fact i'm sure, that i am not aware of all of the writers that are out there in the writing sphere.

Feel free to stop me if i'm heading down a path that has already been explored.

I think that Mariners supporters should push the club to recognise, as part of their awards at the annual dinner, a football writer of the year. This would be an award nominated and voted by Mariners supporters.

I don't want to inflict too many of my thoughts on how this would work. But there are a couple of discussion points here:
- I would like to think that this award would be given to writers who produce strong pieces of writing, not just writing that supports the Mariners cause. Obviously a conflict of interest emerges when using Mariner supporters.
- This would need a significant push from the supporters group (which i confess i am not an official member).

I think this would be a unique and positive contribution by our supporters. Please discuss... any feedback on this idea would be appreciated.

Me thinks it would be a pretty short list?

FFC Mariner

Too tard centric for mine

Cockerill in the SMH is usually well informed and has been known to defend us on occasion

Azza-Mataz

FFC Mariner said:
Too tard centric for mine

Cockerill in the SMH is usually well informed and has been known to defend us on occasion

+1 for Cockerill, he would get my vote

Roy Law

I strongly recommend all Mariners fans buy todays SMH, a truly inspiring article from Mike Cockerill "Grit and polish:it's all looking shiny for Central Coast" - it's not yet on the web so I can't provide a link but here's a quote to tempt you "but Nicky Travis, Mike McGlinchey and Matt Crowell have shown they can pass the ball as well as any Brazilian"...

Try here:
http://marinators.net/forum/index.php?topic=4437.msg129252#msg129252

Jerem

cockerill! i think he ACTUALLY watches most matches, therefore can understand
where teams are, and ive never had an inkling of bias from his column

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members