• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Australia's Elite Footballers Aided by Learning Initiative

midfielder

Mega news coming out of FFA...

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/2009InsideFFA/default.aspx?s=insideffa_newsfeatures_newsitem_new&id=36059

Australia's Elite Footballers Aided by Learning Initiative :D
Thursday, 21 October 2010
Football Federation Australia (FFA) and Professional Footballers Australia (PFA) today announced a major sponsorship agreement with Open Universities Australia (OUA) to support continuing higher education opportunities for footballers.

OUA provides access to over 1000 units and 90 courses from 18 leading universities and higher education providers nationally.

As part of the two year sponsorship, OUA will provide 10 scholarships to professional footballers competing in the Hyundai A-League, Westfield W-League, National Youth League (NYL) or other international leagues.

The OUA ‘Come Study’ Football Scholarship Program is designed to assist elite athletes pursue their education goals alongside their playing careers. Each scholarship winner will be awarded 2 units of study through OUA. Applications are open now and close on 1 November 2010. Click here to apply (link the highlighted text to survey monkey application form: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CF5M5BF).

Under the partnership FFA and PFA members will also receive special OUA offers, including:
• Priority enrolment
• Textbook vouchers ($60 the first undergraduate unit and $100 for the first postgraduate unit)
• Academic support - six free hours with an online tutor for eligible units
• Advice from OUA Enrolment Advisors to help you match your career aspirations with a study plan that best suits you.
Find out more at www.open.edu.au/ffa
Westfield Matilda and Westfield W-League star Sarah Walsh has been appointed an Education Ambassador for the partnership.

Sarah Walsh said her involvement with OUA would assist her to juggle her football commitments in Australia with Sydney FC and internationally with the Westfield Matildas and Boston Breakers in the US Women’s Professional Soccer League.

“With the amount of time I spend playing football for the Matildas, locally and professionally overseas, it is very difficult for me to complete any kind of traditional study. OUA enables me to study online and gives me the flexibility I need to pursue both passions at the same time,” Sarah said.

“I am honoured to be representing OUA as ambassador and look forward to sharing the benefits online education provides for all professional footballers and their support teams.”

PFA Harry Kewell Medalist Mitch Langerak highlighted the importance of portability for players when it comes to tertiary study following his recent transfer to German giants Borussia Dortmund.

“It is important that players pursue skills away from the field of play whilst they are professionals,” Langerak said. “I find that study gives me something else to focus on and ensures that football is not the only factor in the achievement of my life goals. It is certainly something that the PFA and the My Football Career program has supported me with during my time in the A-League.”

“The life of a footballer is one of constant transition. There is regular travel, club changes, injuries to cope with and in my case right now, a new culture to understand. The Open Universities Australia model of study is perfect for accommodating the ever changing lifestyle needs of a professional athlete. The flexibility it offers means that I can continue my Bachelor of Business (Banking and Finance) studies at an Australian University when I choose,” he said.

The positive effects of education and off-field interests on playing performance and career duration have been detailed in a recent Australian Sports Commission and Australian Institute of Sport study*.

The study of 143 elite athletes found that 72 per cent of those surveyed thought that their sporting performance had benefited from them undertaking education or employment during their sporting careers. More than 90 per cent believed these nonsporting activities helped to extend the length of their on-field careers.

FFA Chief Executive Officer, Ben Buckley said; “Creating viable career pathways for our talented footballers is an important priority for the growth of the game in Australia.”

“Education initiatives like this agreement with OUA will benefit not only the players involved but the sport in the long term as more football minded people move into professional careers both inside and outside of the sport.” Mr Buckley said.

PFA Chief Executive, Brendan Schwab, said; “Currently 20% of Hyundai A-League, Westfield W-League and NYL footballers are integrating tertiary study with their elite amateur or professional football careers and OUA will provide greater flexibility and opportunity for all tertiary study minded players.”

OUA General Manager of Business Development, Cratis Hippocrates, said; “OUA is excited to partner with Football Federation Australia and Professional Footballers Australia and bring world-class, education and training opportunities to professional and elite amateur footballers.”

“As a member of the Elite Athlete Friendly Universities network, OUA recognises the challenges athletes face combining education, career and a personal life with a high performance-sporting career.
“OUA enables students to fit study into their schedules, rather than following a set timetable, so it’s ideal for elite athletes and others who want to study while continuing their training and playing commitments.” Mr Hippocrates said.

* Nathan Price, Life out of the Limelight: Understanding the Nonsporting Pursuits of Elite
Athletes, The International Journal of Sport and Society, Vol1, No 3, 2010

About Open Universities Australia (OUA)
OUA is the national leader in quality online tertiary education, enrolling over 144,000 students since 1993. We provide access to over 1000 units and 90 qualifications taught by 18 leading universities and other tertiary education providers around the country in: arts, humanities and social sciences, business, education, health, information technology, law, and science. www.open.edu.au.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred