• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Australian Football Stuff - not worthy of a thread

sydmariner

The Socceroos Lord and Saviour Tim ‘KING’ Cahill has just announced his international retirement from international football.:(

Rowdy

Was always going to follow Arnie to the NT
........ wont be long before JC follows as well me thinks

Good Luck to both of the former Mariners

JoyfulPenguin

Will definitely be interesting to see how Corica goes, he has had a long apprenticeship under a lot of different coaches so how his team plays will definitely be a point of interest. I can't see him changing too much from Arnold's tried and true methods but that could also be his down fall. I will be very surprised to see Sydney topping the table at the end of this season, new coaches even with lengthy apprentices here in Australia, seem to take a while to adjust.

marinermick

Whole league looks up for grabs this season. Sydney, Victory and Jets look weaker, City and Adelaide about the same and Perth, Brisbane and Wellington stronger. And then there is us.

sydmariner

Cahill reveals favourite Caltex Socceroos' goal, future plans and more
The defining moments to seal Cahill's Caltex Socceroos legacy

REVEALED: How Cahill consistently punched above his weight

On retiring from international football...

I think for me, it’s the right time.

I can pass the baton onto the guys heading into the Asian Cup – Arnie can prepare, I can be there for the boys and I was pretty much preparing in (World Cup 2018) camp making sure mentally and physically the younger boys are ready.

I spoke to Arnie and we’re going to meet up after. I’m not going anywhere, really, because I’ll always be their mentors and I’ve always made sure even in this last world cup that I make a massive impact on them individually.

The decisions they make, the way they prepare, what they eat and what it means to play for your country. It wasn’t an easy decision and I don’t want it to be a sad moment I want, it to be a celebration where I can say, “good luck boys, go and win an Asian Cup, because I know that you can.”

TIMMY.jpg

On what's next...

I’m always someone who keeps their cards close to their chest, not because I want to be evasive but because I feel when you make these decisions as a professional sportsman it has to be your own and it has to be organic

I’m interested in coaching. I’m going to spend some time in Australia, meet some partners and try and lay some foundations to try and do great things for soccer in Australia. I’m going to sit with the FFA, support the Hyundai A-League, support Arnie, make sure that I can still be an ambassador for the league and support the growth of football in Australia which is something I’m excited to do.

I’ll fly to the UK and start my UEFA B licence in preparation. And then I’ll open the door for offers to play football. I’ve not really entertained anyone when it comes to football because I’ve been selfish enough finally to have some serious family time and I promised I would try not to talk too much about football! International retirements done but as for domestic, I’ve still got time to decide.

On his favourite Caltex Socceroos' goal...

My favourite goal would have to be the first ever goal for the Socceroos in a world cup. You’re proud when you first put on that jersey and there was a video that I put up today when I was running out that just flows back so many memories.

The goals are just the reward. I play every game like it’s my last and that’s the message I say to every player that comes into national team camp. I treat every camp like it’s going to be my last. The goal in Brazil, the scissor kick against China – there’s so many and they all mean so much whether it’s a tap in or a beautiful strike.

On being a mentor for younger Caltex Socceroos' players...

I’m in touch with a lot of our young Socceroos’ players. There’s so much talent, especially young talent in the A-League and I think this is the most exciting thing that you’re going to see with a new set up. We’re lucky that Arnie’s been a part of the Hyundai A-League and he’s evolved as a manager.

Mentoring is important because as you get older and you don’t realise until you’re older (how important they are). Throughout my career I’ve had people like Bozza (Mark Bosnich), John Aloisi, Schwarzer, Kewell, Viduka, players that I look up to, they offered support as a player and I never forget it.

I look at (Australia’s second and third 2018 World Cup matches) Denmark as a game I thought we could’ve won, I look at Peru as another winnable game and my job is, regardless of if I’m not playing the night before is telling them, “I know we can win this game”. I’m telling them you can see a little bit of a spring in their step and that’s the mentoring side that I really enjoy. I’m still in touch with a lot of them, they text me and I think it’ll hit home the next camp not being there for myself and also the other players.

On past and present Caltex Socceroos' coaches...

I think Australian coaching is something that’s been really underrated throughout the international setup. When you look at some of the coaches I’ve worked with internationally whether it be at the start with Guus (Hiddink) and then there was Holgier (Osieck) - some of them have world class attributes.

But I think now when you see what Ange (Postecoglou) brought out in us, not just coaching but the motivational side, the drive, he played a big part in convincing me to stay on. I feel where he positioned us four years ago and the football that he stated to implement made me feel good, it made me excited.

It put a lot pressure on the players in the midfield to pass the ball, to go away to Japan and make 600 passes. I feel now transitioning into Arnie’s era that he’ll be able to reward the passing with the finishing and creating goals.

gettyimages-450815138.jpg

Offsider

Whole league looks up for grabs this season. Sydney, Victory and Jets look weaker, City and Adelaide about the same and Perth, Brisbane and Wellington stronger. And then there is us.

As pjennings points out ........ early days yet.

Perth haven’t wasted any time and have assembled a loyal squad that must be making popovic salivate.
Merrick has gone for postenoclu mantra of just play better with what he has. $130000 prize money from china seems to support his decision.
Corica still has a lot of money to spend.
Victory filling the gaps with quality and also have owners who are prepared to spend to give honda the support he will need.
Brisbane looks good much younger and already playing games.
Rudan has an excellent young core and pheonix certainly won’t threaten our spoon threepeat.
Wanderers and adelaide not sure but not excited by them yet. Both have impressive coaches.
City still have purchasing to do but have retained their reliable mistake ridden centreback.

Rowdy

For those that cbf'd watching,

Interesting to me that Rudan made it 'quite clear' that he doesn't give a fcuk what people/media think of the players/team that he will be selecting to start for the game against Bentleigh Greens in the FFA Cup.

"The A-League is the main prize" that he is focusing on.

..... so CCM are NOT the only club who are taking this line of thinking & other HAL Clubs most likely are as well.

I have an inkling that this will be the year that a lot of the NPL Clubs will get through to the later rounds of the FFA Cup

....... & then I expect :rolleyes: the subsequent 'chest beating' from them (NPL)& the media (Bosnich) about Promotion & Relegation, and how clubs like CCM & Nix 'don't deserve' to be in the A-League etc. etc.

- we just need to remember this interview as part evidence as to why a lot of the A-League clubs so- called 'bombed out' when/if it occurs :cool:

Last edited:

Offsider

For those that cbf'd watching,

Interesting to me that Rudan made it 'quite clear' that he doesn't give a fcuk what people/media think of the players/team that he will be selecting to start for the game against Bentleigh Greens in the FFA Cup.

"The A-League is the main prize" that he is focusing on.

..... so CCM are NOT the only club who are taking this line of thinking & other HAL Clubs most likely are as well.

I have an inkling that this will be the year that a lot of the NPL Clubs will get through to the later rounds of the FFA Cup

....... & then I expect :rolleyes: the subsequent 'chest beating' from them (NPL)& the media (Bosnich) about Promotion & Relegation, and how clubs like CCM & Nix 'don't deserve' to be in the A-League etc. etc.

- we just need to remember this interview as part evidence as to why a lot of the A-League clubs so- called 'bombed out' when/if it occurs :cool:

Ouch ......... :-|:-|:-| !!!
that doesn’t do my assumptions a lot of favours.:popcorn:

Rowdy

Ouch ......... :-|:-|:-| !!!
that doesn’t do my assumptions a lot of favours.:popcorn:
I've linked & re-posted it in the CCM FFA Cup thread as to highlight the point in there, about a lot of people's (&your:p) assumptions about CCM's effort or lack thereof for the 1st game.

Offsider

I've linked & re-posted it in the CCM FFA Cup thread as to highlight the point in there, about a lot of people's (&your:p) assumptions about CCM's effort or lack thereof for the 1st game.

It doesn’t change the fact that the assumption isn’t wrong ............. just that another team shares ccm’s attitude ......... oh wait ???? ........... they are the team we beat for the spoon.:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:
You’ll need to link this post as well ......... don’t want you to do a trump on me and take things out of context eh !!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred