• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

ALM Mariners V Perth Glory -New Years Eve Match

Ironbark

On the pessimism stuff - this place was doing my head in during the 4 losses. I too went through the hard times and have scars. But during those losses there was plenty going right and the potential was there. We were rebuilding with a new coach and it was always going to take time.
But the whining and whinging was next level.
The fact we've turned it around so quickly is impressive. In the A-League alone we've score 14 goals in the last 4 games. Unbeaten in 6 games. Yet there's still pessimism. Just enjoy the ride people, and understand that with ups there are downs and that overall it's a time to enjoy the team

pjennings

Really disappointed with Stajcic's press conference. TBH I thought the ref made every decision correctly, he just should have carded Susnjar earlier (around 5 minutes) for an awful foul from behind of Tulio and the Dan Hall non-penalty. Dan was a very lucky boy.

Insertnamehere

On the pessimism stuff - this place was doing my head in during the 4 losses. I too went through the hard times and have scars. But during those losses there was plenty going right and the potential was there. We were rebuilding with a new coach and it was always going to take time.
The fact we've turned it around so quickly is impressive. In the A-League alone we've score 14 goals in the last 4 games. Unbeaten in 6 games. Yet there's still pessimism. Just enjoy the ride people, and understand that with ups there are downs and that overall it's a time to enjoy the team
We played like shit for the first few games. The pessimism was earnt.
We've just sold our best player, who we wont be replacing fully. Of course there's pessimism.

Tevor

Really disappointed with Stajcic's press conference. TBH I thought the ref made every decision correctly, he just should have carded Susnjar earlier (around 5 minutes) for an awful foul from behind of Tulio and the Dan Hall non-penalty. Dan was a very lucky boy.
Ah haven’t watched it, was bad enough listening to Cola after the game whinge about the decisions. Watched the replay and they actually got away with a lot to be honest and should have been down to 10 by about the 70 minute mark. The two hand balls were clear as day so I don’t get how they can complain about them at all. Hall was very lucky but there is truth to the fact that Williams took a shot and almost scored so the advantage was played and you then don’t get a second chance. If Williams went to ground different story. Hall actually didn’t have a great game in my opinion and well down on what he had been producing to date. Hope he hasn’t given Paull a shot after that game.

Wombat

Ah haven’t watched it, was bad enough listening to Cola after the game whinge about the decisions. Watched the replay and they actually got away with a lot to be honest and should have been down to 10 by about the 70 minute mark. The two hand balls were clear as day so I don’t get how they can complain about them at all. Hall was very lucky but there is truth to the fact that Williams took a shot and almost scored so the advantage was played and you then don’t get a second chance. If Williams went to ground different story. Hall actually didn’t have a great game in my opinion and well down on what he had been producing to date. Hope he hasn’t given Paull a shot after that game.
I watched the game on Telly just now and Dan looks alot better than he did live. He still did some great stuff and no way Paull gets in on one, less than perfect game.

Really impressed with Tapp, Niz, Marcos and Maxy last night. Also top games by Faz and Torres. Kuol is looking a handful again.

3pts Tulio. I actually felt a bit emotional when he was coming off and he was getting that standing ovation.
2pts Niz.
1pts Faz, Tapp and Maxy.

Meerkat

I watched the game on Telly just now and Dan looks alot better than he did live. He still did some great stuff and no way Paull gets in on one, less than perfect game.

3pts Tulio. I actually felt a bit emotional when he was coming off and he was getting that standing ovation.
2pts Niz.
1pts Faz, Tapp and Maxy
I didn’ think it was Dan’s best game but good to hear. Haven’t rewatched yet and either way, still the best option we have next to Kaltak. I think overall he’s back to his best form.

I teared up clapping Tulio off ?

FFC Mariner

Agree and I feel a sense of betrayal.

Club needs to tap into those fans who came last night and encourage them to become members-offer discounts perhaps while they are on a high from last night [and before any change in fortune]. There must be a way via email or text mobile nos used to get tickets to the NYE game.
This is the same club who couldn't get membership offers out the day after the GF?
You have high hopes of them

Hello Sailor

Just bumping this part of your post for another viewing for everyone.
This forum can be seriously unbearable with the doom and gloom and conspiracies, particularly when the team is doing well.
I dont think you would be hearing doom and gloom if MJ hadn't suggested in his interview that we wont be replacing lost talent like Tulio. unless its with youth.

Forum Phoenix

Great post.

Arguments citing the past to justify present whining are naive at best. Most long term forumites on here are rusted on Mariners fans since V1. And no one has been arguing that we should’t try to sign well, or try to keep our best players or should run on fumes. straw man arguments all round.

On the other side, people like PP and others have taken the time to give factual informed counter arguments. But these are ignored or quickly forgotten so people get fed up.

And no one’s against anyone from having a bit of a vent every now and then of their fears of frustrations.

To the contrary, everyone expects some emotional outbursts, criticism and frustration after playing or losing badly etc, forum can be therapeutic that way, and black humour and cynicism, even pessimism all has its place, again been here for a long time and no one takes issue with the odd spray of pessimism on here, especially after a shit performance.

But what is hard to get your head around, can be beyond tiring and worst, potentially damaging, is the conflation of anything that doesn’t go our way with it being because of some deeper failing or evidence of bad intentions, negligence, wrong doing, that the dark ages are returning or the end times are nigh.

Now hey you can say that it’s all justified because of what happened years ago under different management… or because after losing our coaching staff and several key players it actually took more than three weeks to rebuild,.. or us now being in the globally unique football club position of losing our best player in a January transfer window…

Or… you could say, holy shit, after paying the typical price for winning a grand final, we just rebuilt in near record time, we’re undefeated in six, broke the Suncorp hoodoo, all but the same for Melbourne away. won our AFC group, team morale is high, our football is great… and we’re doing all this on a small budget…

Because those things, unlike being unable to stop your best player from wanting to advance his career, are actually substantial evidence that we must be an incredibly well run club right now with a coach who really knows what he’s doing.

To me it’s pretty bloody good times right now in football land and yep, that won’t last forever, every year someone has to spoon, so it surely makes sense to at least try and enjoy it a little when your team/club is on the up.

However for anyone who’s still determined to play the killjoy, okay, but as you’re experiencing, I wouldn’t expect to be too popular around the waterhole right now. Maybe watch and learn from FFC - the forums most gifted and enduring cynic.., at least he knows when to relax, enjoy and
just sharpen his daggers for a bit.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

I dont think you would be hearing doom and gloom if MJ hadn't suggested in his interview that we wont be replacing lost talent like Tulio. unless its with youth.

I believe we have a great young talent in Di Pizio. Who will never become what he could if we don’t give him a chance in moments like this, just as we have with many other players who payed us back in spades. Really is the Mariners way.

And we know the grass is always greener, as has been pointed out beyond saving expense - which isn’t without merit if people are truly concerned about our long term success or sustainability - Visa players take time, don’t always work, and those of truly sufficient quality are rare. Otherwise every team would have 5 players as good as Tulio running around. We could throw a million a year at a player and he could still be a huge flop. Happens all over the world all the time.

This is why it was worth the club throwing by our standards a lot of money at Tulio. He was a special talent, but he was also a known quantity, fully integrated and proven. Going to take time to find another one. If possible. He’s honest to god too good for this league.

Great news is that Alou and Torres have just made a decent case that we might be able to get by without a visa striker. But we still currently have more quality midfield depth than up top, so I don’t even see a Tulio replacement as our first priority.

If we could snap our fingers and guarantee someone as good as Tulio who would fit as well into the squad. I suspect management would very happily acquire him. But they know it’s way harder and anyone they try and sign quickly now is more likely to prove a wage theif than a saviour. Even if only temporarily.

Unlike most I still believe in Theo too. Only 24. We’ll see.

Corsair

Maybe the AFC cup is also a burden. I hope we exit it sooner rather than later if we have no realistic chance of winning it-its just chewing up valuable resources.
The mantra is we're a selling club, exposure to Asia is a great way to showcase to that end.

It's also really good experience for a young team, some of our players might not ever get the chance to play overseas again.

The club gets funding from the AFC to help with travel costs etc. I think someone said it was 1500 USD per travelling player, which doesn't sound like a lot but goes a long way in the countries we're playing in.

Not sure what the prize money is, could also be a bonus.

Back to the squad...Shintaro Shimizu from Phnom Penh has superseded Tulio as the leading goalscorer in the AFC Cup....maybe we can buy him before our next game?! (I'm joking of course)

Last edited:

FFC Mariner

The mantra is we're a selling club, exposure to Asia is a great way to showcase to that end.

It's also really good experience for a young team, some of our players might not ever get the chance to play overseas again.

The club gets funding from the AFC to help with travel costs etc. I think someone said it was 1500 USD per travelling player, which doesn't sound like a lot but goes a long way in the countries we're playing in.

Not sure what the prize money is, could also be a bonus.

Back to the squad...Shintaro Shimizu from Phnom Penh has superseded Tulio as the leading goalscorer in the AFC Cup....maybe we can buy him before our next game?! (I'm joking of course)
$1500USD per player when divided amongst the whole travelling party doesn't even cover airfares.

Hello Sailor

Sounds like quite a gamble for a relatively small purse. There's also the gravy train to provide for AFC officials' snouts. I wonder how much it will cost the club [less the subsidy.
We've lost a massive amount of talent from last year, now Tulio [and I dont blame them at all- they should be playing at higher leagues].
The AFC costs must be cutting in to the club's ability to replace that talent with good prospects [ala Beni].
I'm a fan of youth like De Pizio, Niz Faz etc, but a statement from MJ saying that new signings are only from youth does not engender confidence.
Yes the club's model is to sell. I dont think anyone said otherwise. And while it is also to develop youth, it is also to polish rough foreign diamonds and sell them. MJ excluding one source of talent [the foreign roughies] rightly raises some eyebrows and questions.
The club needs to balance the selling aspect of its model with maintaining [and even better increasing] the membership base and sponsors. As someone else said somewhere else, noone wants to pay good money to see a shitty movie.

1704143121596.png

Coastalraider

Sounds like quite a gamble for a relatively small purse. There's also the gravy train to provide for AFC officials' snouts. I wonder how much it will cost the club [less the subsidy.
We've lost a massive amount of talent from last year, now Tulio [and I dont blame them at all- they should be playing at higher leagues].
The AFC costs must be cutting in to the club's ability to replace that talent with good prospects [ala Beni].
I'm a fan of youth like De Pizio, Niz Faz etc, but a statement from MJ saying that new signings are only from youth does not engender confidence.
Yes the club's model is to sell. I dont think anyone said otherwise. And while it is also to develop youth, it is also to polish rough foreign diamonds and sell them. MJ excluding one source of talent [the foreign roughies] rightly raises some eyebrows and questions.
The club needs to balance the selling aspect of its model with maintaining [and even better increasing] the membership base and sponsors. As someone else said somewhere else, noone wants to pay good money to see a shitty movie.

View attachment 2996
I seriously doubt that MJ or RP have excluded visa players… however january is a hard time to recruit foreigners as they tend to need more time to gel than domestic recruits.

For example, last year in Jan we lost/released Garang, Kalechi, Rhus, Ayongo and Aqualina. We bought in McGarry, DWH and Theo.

Domestic makes more sense right now mid season in my mind, unless a really shiny star turns up on our doorstep.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred