• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Alcohol advertising and sport

dibo

link seems to be broken. try http://www.zootle.net/afda/share-and-enjoy.shtml

complete with recording of 'share and enjoy'!

back on topic however, i think alcohol advertising will eventually go the way of cigarette advertising, and i can't really see a bad point to that.

alcohol and tobacco between them cause more illness, injury and deaths than all other drugs combined. the alcohol industry is notorious for targeting its products to those who aren't legally allowed to buy them (tell me that the midori or jim beam ads aren't aimed at 15 year old girls and boys respectively).

binge drinking is an enormous problem, and frankly you've only got to look around in bay 16 on a game day to see how so. some people go in and get positively shitfaced. i remember watcing one person so drunk that gravity was trying to make him fall down the stairs, but owing to his seriously altered state he more poured down them.

anyone who knows me knows that i'm not a wowser, i very much enjoy a few beers, but there's a limit.

while banning alcohol advertising won't make binge drinking go away overnight, over time it will have an effect. look at the change that banning cigarette advertising (and other associated anti-smoking laws) has made.

cigarettes can no longer be sold as a lifestyle product. it seems to be far less cool to smoke than it was when i was a kid and basically every adult i knew smoked. most of all, smoking rates for adults have dropped significantly.

banning alcohol advertising, along with more careful enforcement of RSA and smarter management and policing of venues will (i think) have a positive effect.

as for the loss of ad revenue - banning benson and hedges didn't kill off cricket. banning the winfield cup didn't kill off rugby league (the concurrent superleague war nearly did that). there will be a revenue hole, but other companies will come through. the alcohol industry is a big industry, but in terms of GDP it's still only a tiny fraction. there's a lot more money available out there.

Bear

bulldogmariner said:
Bearinator said:
I have never in my life seen a product that has sponsored a sporting team/person/event that has then made me want to then go and purchase that product.
not even mariners new sponsorship with the coast website.

nope

dibo

Bearinator said:
bulldogmariner said:
Bearinator said:
I have never in my life seen a product that has sponsored a sporting team/person/event that has then made me want to then go and purchase that product.
not even mariners new sponsorship with the coast website.

nope

you're basically making the argument against any advertising. if you (and therefore everybody else) have never been affected by advertising, then we've got nothing to sell. we might as well play in 100% clean venues all the time.

Bear

No argument from me, just saying that on this fan, sports advertising is a total waste. Im sure it works on some people, just not myself.

Jesus

Jesus
Andre_1 said:
Couple of observations:
1. Why do BP, Shell and Caltex advertise? I need fuel I pull in. I don't think to myself " I remember that add last night for Caltex it rocked stuff it I will run the risk and keep driving untill I find one"
2. I have a connection with local Rugby League here on the coast (I know....please forgive me!) they have just announced there will be NO full strength beer sold at any games this season.

2 would be because of the crowd troubles last season

J

jiggles

Andre_1 said:
Couple of observations:
1. Why do BP, Shell and Caltex advertise? I need fuel I pull in. I don't think to myself " I remember that add last night for Caltex it rocked stuff it I will run the risk and keep driving untill I find one"
2. I have a connection with local Rugby League here on the coast (I know....please forgive me!) they have just announced there will be NO full strength beer sold at any games this season.

1. Brand awareness. A company you know which has the money to advertise, is able to sponsor charities like Starlight Foundation (Caltex) etc...you think better quality. If a Caltex and a No-name servo are next to each other, with the same price fuel, both empty...Caltex would hope that their brand awareness created through advertising, would convince people to go to them, because they know them.

2. Other stadiums, even for A-League don't sell Full Strength. Bluetongue is the only one I know of, so it's not really surprising.

Paolo

Sym said:
why do some ppl have to ruin it for the rest of us...
how does this situation ruin it for you? As we are well aware you have already discovered alcohol and dont need convincing to drink

J

jiggles

Sym said:
why do some ppl have to ruin it for the rest of us...

You are aware you never pay for alcohol at the game anyway....aren't you?

Sacko

poko said:
Andre_1 said:
Couple of observations:

1. Brand awareness. A company you know which has the money to advertise, is able to sponsor charities like Starlight Foundation (Caltex) etc...you think better quality. If a Caltex and a No-name servo are next to each other, with the same price fuel, both empty...Caltex would hope that their brand awareness created through advertising, would convince people to go to them, because they know them.

2. Other stadiums, even for A-League don't sell Full Strength. Bluetongue is the only one I know of, so it's not really surprising.

I'm pretty sure there was full strength beer at both the SFS and the shithole up the freeway last season

~Floss~

Yeah, I thought it was only international cricket where full strength was banned so far. Some football stadia stop serving during the second half, but I can say from experience that many other than BT still definitely sell full strength beer

But if RL is next then it might become the norm and football could be made to look less responsible than other sports in general.

Actually, I think at the cricket you can still get full strength in the member's stand. If we were to follow that model we could see a huge increase in memberships.  ;D

J

jiggles

FFC Mariner said:
Eas and Telstradome wont sell you full strength after HT - cant remember SFS

When I was last at Telstra, they weren't even selling Full strength before the game.
The QLD away I was at didn't serve fill strength either.

Don't know about EAS, as their beer is shite.

clarence

FFC Mariner said:

LOL! If you couldn't remember what beer they served at SFS after HT, then it surely MUST have been full strength. ;D

J

jiggles

clarence said:
FFC Mariner said:

LOL! If you couldn't remember what beer they served at SFS after HT, then it surely MUST have been full strength. ;D

I dunno. First time I went to Telstra, I didn't realise I'd been drinking Half Strength til Tuesday...and the game was on a Friday. BL Me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred