• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Alcohol advertising and sport

FFC Mariner

Is alcohol going to be the public health issue of the next 10/20 years like smoking became? When tobacco companies sponsored NRL, Cricket and most motor racing only to be replaced by grog companies as smoking advertising was banned.

If this happens, where does that leave funding for major codes? i can see NRL and possibly AFL having issues. New name for our stadium and no more Bundy ads during Union matches either.

Be fascinating to see how this plays out

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/30/2529952.htm?section=justin

A national drug and alcohol research group says the Federal Government will have to modernise its attitude to alcohol advertising and sport.

Federal Government representatives, national research groups and sponsors groups are attending a summit on binge drinking in Melbourne today.

The Government argues there is no firm evidence that banning alcohol ads during sporting events will help curb excessive drinking.

But Drug and Alcohol Research Training Centre director Paul Dillon says the link between alcohol and sport must be severed.

"I think you're going to have to see the Government make some announcements in the next term, and around sponsorship, around advertising," he said.

"We want to see some significant change and definitely advertising is one way that's going to make that change."

J

jiggles

I think it's ridiculous. Lose alcohol sponsors and they're going to lose a LOT of money...

TBH...I don't think people reall notice the ad's at the games...I know I don't (then again it's usually because I'm drunk...which...is kind of ironic...)

Bear

I have never in my life seen a product that has sponsored a sporting team/person/event that has then made me want to then go and purchase that product.

bulldogmariner

Bearinator said:
I have never in my life seen a product that has sponsored a sporting team/person/event that has then made me want to then go and purchase that product.
not even mariners new sponsorship with the coast website.

FFC Mariner

poko said:
I think it's ridiculous. Lose alcohol sponsors and they're going to lose a LOT of money...

TBH...I don't think people reall notice the ad's at the games...I know I don't (then again it's usually because I'm drunk...which...is kind of ironic...)

50 odd years of marketing data would argue that point v strongly - its about creating brand awareness. thats what makes you buy

Jesus

Jesus
It will be fast food next.

Will take serious cash out of sport, and surely be the end of at least one of the "footy" codes.

Will have implications for football because companies who were out of the running for league/ALF sponsoring will have a chance without grog companies.

Andre_1

Couple of observations:
1. Why do BP, Shell and Caltex advertise? I need fuel I pull in. I don't think to myself " I remember that add last night for Caltex it rocked stuff it I will run the risk and keep driving untill I find one"
2. I have a connection with local Rugby League here on the coast (I know....please forgive me!) they have just announced there will be NO full strength beer sold at any games this season.

FFC Mariner

Hopefully a marketing person can answer this but if advertising didnt work (and was measurable) do you think they would do it?

marinersman

I think it's only time (who know when?), that grog will be banned from sport just like tobacco was. The same argument against ending tobacco sponsorship is the same argument that will be trotted out against banning grog advertising. That is that who will come in with the dollars to replace the loss.

I drink way,way too much and I'm no wowser but I really think it's time to end the culture of association of grog and sport. Particularly the macho aspect. There seems to be a willingness to do it now and the debate is louder than ever before.

FFC Mariner

IIRC, the only grog sponsors football has is Ballantynes (and who would drink that shit) and obviously our ground is Bluetongue.

Any others?

Paolo

More importantly there is a new beer out brewed by bluetongue called central coast lager. I hope it makes its way to taps at the stadium as it tastes much better then that other rubbish

marinermick

Paolo said:
More importantly there is a new beer out brewed by bluetongue called central coast lager. I hope it makes its way to taps at the stadium as it tastes much better then that other rubbish

the lager smells like rotten vegetable but the beer has always smelt like that at bluetongue so i think they have a problem with their lines

am guessing not much will change with the central coast lager

had the different types of bluetongue at the actual brewery in the hunter and it was delicious

on the other hand at the various pubs i had it, it was pish

the stuff must not travel well or has a poor shelf life

marinermick

FFC Mariner said:
Hopefully a marketing person can answer this but if advertising didnt work (and was measurable) do you think they would do it?

Where do you start. There are millions of books on the subject.

From my own personal opinion as a marketeer sport sponsorship only works in a minority of cases but I have no data to support this opinion. From a Mariners point of view I know that Fortunity has done very well out of their sponsorship. With a name change and new branding the exposure the Mariners gave them increased their turnover many fold.

Where companies go wrong is that they do not leverage their sponsorship dollars. fortunity spent extra money on game day activities as well as using the Mariners brand in their own advertising. However, the Mariners sponsorship was only a percentage of their overall advertising strategy and they had a whole mix to ensure their brand saturated the marketplace.

The general rule of thumb is that for every sponsorship dollar you put in you should get ten-fold back in dollar terms. Some companies achieve this but I suspect the majority do not and the sponsorship is just on the whim of the person in charge because he/she likes that sport or team.

FFC Mariner

I think the definitive statement on marketing people was made very well in "The restaurant at the end of the Universe". They told them the world was ending and sent them, HR people and various other type (phone sanitisers IIRC) to another world.

If you havent read the actual Hitchhikers series, I urge you to do so. If you only saw the movie, scrub it from your mind and read the actual books (all 4) or at the very least get hold of the original BBC radio or TV versions.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

dibo

FFC Mariner said:
I think the definitive statement on marketing people was made very well in "The restaurant at the end of the Universe". They told them the world was ending and sent them, HR people and various other type (phone sanitisers IIRC) to another world.

If you havent read the actual Hitchhikers series, I urge you to do so. If you only saw the movie, scrub it from your mind and read the actual books (all 4) or at the very least get hold of the original BBC radio or TV versions.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

...until they were all wiped out by a disease contracted from contact with a dirty telephone...

In all this ancient and mysterious history, the most mysterious figures of all were without a doubt the Great Circling poets of Arium. These Circling Poets used to live in remote mountain passes where they would lie in wait for small bands of unwary travelers, circle around them, and throw rocks at them.

And when the travelers cried out, saying why didn't they go away and get on with writing some poems instead of pestering people with all this rock-throwing business, they would suddenly stop, and then break into one of the seven hundred and ninety-four great Song Cycles of Vassillian. These songs were all of extraordinary beauty, and even more extraordinary length, and all fell into exactly the same pattern.

The first part of each song would tell how there once went forth from the City of Vassillian a party of five sage princes with four horses. The princes, who are of course brave, noble and wise, travel widely in distant lands, fight giant ogres, pursue exotic philosophies, take tea with weird gods and rescue beautiful monsters from ravening princesses before finally announcing that they have achieved enlightenment and that their wanderings are therefore accomplished.

The second, and much longer, part of each song would then tell of all their bickerings about which one of them is going to have to walk back.

All this lay in the planet's remote past. It was, however, a descendant of one of these eccentric poets who invented the spurious tales of impending doom which enabled the people of Golgafrincham to rid themselves of an entire useless third of their population.

dibo

The radio plays are seriously bloody good. There's a few great details in there that don't make later incarnations of the series, like the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Marketing Department's complaints division anthem...

The comic timing, the structure of the jokes and the simple wit of the whole thing are just terrific.

dibo

And last post (for the hat-trick), the trilogy of the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy is now in five parts.

fedelta

bulldogmariner said:
Bearinator said:
not even mariners new sponsorship with the coast website.

i did, wanted to go and buy the coast

FFC Mariner

SHARE AND ENJOY
The the company motto of the hugely successful Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Complaints division, which now covers the major land masses of three medium sized planets and is the only part of the Corporation to have shown a consistent profit in recent years.
The motto stands - or rather stood - in three mile high illuminated letters near the Complaints Department spaceport on Eadrax. Unfortunately its weight was such that shortly after it was erected, the ground beneath the letters caved in and they dropped for nearly half their length through the offices of many talented young complaints executives - now deceased.

The protruding upper halves of the letters now appear, in the local language, to read "Go stick your head in a pig", and are no longer illuminated, except at times of special celebration

http://www.sput.nl/~rob/sirius.html

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred