• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

AFL war on Football - won't work

midfielder

The AFL have declared  war on all football codes. The NRL, after years of ridicule, are trying to establish relationships. Union is losing its most prized possession to football in that the demographic of the private schools in Sydney has changed from pro-union to pro-football.

So I through why is the AFL so keen on this war and where does football stand.

Seems to me you those poor buggers in Melbourne have AFL everywhere down there- from afar it appears as if the Melbourne Media see it as their kinda of duty to promote AFL. Certainly nobody questions what they say just take it as read.

Very difficult to argue with and I assume get a message across,.. I say..let facts be your friendnot hype.

So I through why not do a little research and see why the AFL have declared this war on football especially.

A famous general once said never under estimate your enemy which most know.. but the general went on to also say never over estimate your enemy. Within the context of enemy of AFL & NRL, war whatever name we care to give it.

Look at the state population figures below , then look at the strength of the NRL as it is not down on its knees simply waiting for someone to make the final kill in fact it is growing. AFL for all its talk IMO is no where near as powerful as they believe they are, and most believe they are.

Australia population is as follows:

NRL
Population NSW7, 049
Population QLD 4, 257
Population ACT ...355

Total pop.11, 660or 55% of the population

AFL
Population VIC...5, 266
Population SA 1, 604
Population TAS...505
Population WA..2, 058
Population NT207

Total pop9, 600.or 45% of the population.

Total Aust..21, 260

There are some differences that need to be adjusted for the southern towns in NSW are AFL towns and there would be some cross overss in NRL states & AFL states to the other code. Also NT is populated mainly from NSW & QLD so the AFL claim that it is a AFL town while not incorrect is way overstated

Adjusting for the above differences

Total NRL .11, 660
Less Southern Towns .. 250
Less Converts NRL states...500
Plus Converts AFL states.......75

Total NRL ..10, 985

Total AFL10, 274

Total Australia ..21, 260

Its clear NRL has the population base over AFL even through my number especially the 500, 000 & the 75, 000 are guesses it would not be to far from the truth.

These figures in themselves overstate the AFL hold as they are based on the 2004 census and pro rated to the current population when in fact the NSW, ACT & QLD grew much quicker than the southern states.

In fact by 2012 the figure is expected to read 56% to 44%, a reasonably big difference.

To the next falsehood in these figures with no adjustment made, for the growth in Perths population is more from NSW & QLD, thus people exposed to NRL not AFL. The NT population has a very high % of NSW & QLD people, thus although more than likely a AFL territory it would only just be, and could become a NRL if they wished to fight for it.

The problem for the AFL is they are in what marketers call a mature phase of the market. The AFL market share in the southern states is falling almost impossible to see growth whereas decline is almost inevitable (assuming football. League & union) will take some market share.

There seems to be a belief in the southern states that the NRL is in the same market phase but much more advanced along the path than AFL. Whereas in fact the NRL is expanding .how .simply because regional NSW & QLD are the fastest growing parts of Australia, but also and here is where AFL can get no where near is in PNG & NZ.

Everyone in both NZ & PNG have a NRL team,the population of these countries is PNG 5, 130 million & NZ 4. 263 million. The 9.393 million people is more in pure numbers than the southern states. The NRL own PNG and are expanding in NZ..both will add to future revenue streams and for NRL growth. The NRL plan a PNG side by 2014.

The NRL have decided, after years of ridicule, to establish relationships with football as they do not wish to fight both. NRL words not mine; to find areas of mutual benefit. This I am sure was not seen in the AFL master plan. Essentially two codes essentially working together were they can, and thus the old divide and conquer rule which the AFL have played very well in Sydney by always saying to league supporters football is your enemy will wash no more.

Also and not well known is the NRL on an Australia wide count i.e. count regional Australia other than the AFL capital approach actually have more TV viewers. Why do you think Fox choice League and not AFL in its code battle to put Optus out of business. For proof see attached web references;

http://www.crikey.com.au/Media-Arts-...expansion.html

http://www.thinktv.com.au/SiteMedia/...6361a65a7d.pdf

The AFL is undoubtedly the most professionally run best connected sport in Australia, it has the biggest media deal, the most free to air, the biggest crowds. The best media, the most profitable. Accept all this ..however..that does not mean they are the most ready for the coming years.

My Dad had a saying there is only one thing worst than always talking bullsh*t and that is believing your own bullsh*t. The AFL as I see them actually believe their own bullsh*t. Here are some examples;

The 150 year of AFL when if fact if anything it would have been a rugby game of some sort. Even heard A D on offsiders today saying a new club playing one of the 150 year clubs ,,,,,,,,,,,, errrrrrrrr vomit it was a rugby match for F sake

They are the top TV rating sport when the NRL are,

The junior numberscough, cough errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr anyone who signs a Aus Kick even the free ones given away are counted.

That the draft system actually works when in fact in the latter parts of the season it is a race to the bottom for some to get draft picks.

The AFL has a growing international expansion programand profile.my arse it has none.

AFL has enough quality players to set up the two extra teams, errrrrrrrrrr cough, cough, errrrrrrrrr, sorry .what .you must be kidding, Simple as the AFL has 44 players per tea, and thus need 792 quality players. Errrrrrrrrr cough on there junior strength say its 400, 000 which it is not this means they need to find 792 players in 400, 000 that is 1 player in every 505 players is of enough quality to play at that level. If you study any sport player numbers and get a ratio to those players good enough to earn a living from playing then it is way way way above the 505 and as we all know the AFL number on junior is inflated but never questioned, simply they do not have enough players.

For AFL to continue to succeed they need the billion dollar deal and the unchallenged hype they go on with, like the 150 years of AFL, and biggest TV rating is pure BS.

Football needs to challenge the AFL hype ..howis the difficult. Maybe letters off to Media watch (small part at best), call talk back (helps if enough people call and call often enough).

My suggestion is to send to as many advertising agencies, Key financial people in media organisations especially the overseas owners of 7 , 9 & 10. As sports journalism in Melbourne as I see it is a AFL player who can talk and present themselves well. The same to Fox & Telstra who are major players, if enough people own shares in these companies ask question that these facts present and at key decision maker level let the facts be known. Another maybe good area is the Australia Financial Review.

This is not to say football cannot expand and we have a lot in our arsenal that also needs to put out their:- 8 national teams, World Cup places for mens and womens teams, Olympic teams, the Asian Champions league, Pan Asian tournament.

This also needs to go to the same people, as well as analysis below detailing how footballs Australia wide appeal could affect ratings and as with league there are markets in PNG & NZ to increase revenue streams.

If we draw a table of what percentage of the national audience do you need to draw to obtain an audience of say 2 ,000, 000 on TV.

Code ..Base.% of Total needed for 2, 000, 000

AFL. .. 10, 274.19% of the viewing base needs to watch

NRL .10, 985. 18% of the viewing base needs to watch

A-League...21, 260..9% of the viewing base needs to watch

In summary dont overestimate the AFL, dont underestimate the NRL,.certainly dont underestimate football products. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLEY SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THE HYPE IN AREAS THAT HURT.

Jesus

Jesus
I was not bothered readin that all. I am not sure what it is. But the thing alf has which nrl doesnt is more money. Purely and simply money and crowds.

What nrl has is greater tv audience nationaly. Thanks mainly to nsw.

Whereas afl has a slightly greater spread, nrl has tradition in big audience areas.

Football should let them attack each other in their key areas. Being out of season will help immensly.

Omni

Australian Football IS celebrating it's 150th birthday, that's the SPORT not the Australian Football League, just to clarify there.

RADINHO

Jesus said:
I was not bothered readin that all. I am not sure what it is. But the thing alf has which nrl doesnt is more money. Purely and simply money and crowds.

What nrl has is greater tv audience nationaly. Thanks mainly to nsw.

Whereas afl has a slightly greater spread, nrl has tradition in big audience areas.

Football should let them attack each other in their key areas. Being out of season will help immensly.

To be honest i think A-league must be the least watched football code Why ?

Pure and simple most people do not have foxtel and foxtel have exclusive rights to A-league till 2014 and socceroos games but what is bad about this is that If Frank Lowy wants to spread the name of the game Football (a-league) should be free for all to watch We should not have to pay to see our own domestic league i understand if u want cable to get coverage of foreign leagues but not having the right to domestic football is bad and it is the only thing i agree on with con constantine

Jesus

Jesus
Well world cup is on FTA. It single handedly pushes us up the level of most watched, ahead of at least union on the the 4 year cycle. But imagine how much the rights will be worth when the deal is up. 1 year out from the asian cup in australia (most likely). A-league hopefully pushing large crowds with 12/14 teams.

I think that at the end of the deal the money on offer will be very reasonable. Add to that, if we were to be given the 2018 world cup...or, by that stage, the 2022 possibly. If we have qualified and done well in SA. If we look good to qualify for brazil. The money will be there.

Add to that the Asian champions league rights if the competition continue to grow in stature here, and in asia.

midfielder

Omni

In Melbourne there spin docyors are saying its 150 years of AFL, even AD on offsiders yesterday was asying the new clubs would be playing some clubs 150 yeras old. They hype everything.

Jesus

The AFL has a greater land spread but who lives in SA & WA, NSW & QLD have the biggest population base, that is my point and I think the power base in league has spread to QLD anyway if you look at crowds anyway

Radinho

Being FTA of course you will have more watching than pay

adz

Staff member
No idea what the point is you're trying to make here? Have a look at the crowd figures for this weekend - 77,873 to a regular season game and an average of 39,427 - AFL is really up the shit isn't it!

adz

Staff member
And what's with ripping into the 150 years thing? Love the enthusiasm but it's a bit misdirected (IMO)....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_rules_football_clubs_by_date_of_establishment

I agree with you about the extra teams and not having enough players to support them. There is a big difference between the top and bottom sides and adding more teams can only widen that gap. Melbourne are shit this season and I don't even think they're going to beat CARLTON this year, and that's BAD... right Auburn? ;)

midfielder

Adz

I never said AFL was weak if you read the post I said they where the best run, biggest sport in the country. Always said and in the post no one will get near there crowd figures.

They have also declared war on Football and I wondered why.

My post was simply to say question at first why they have declared war and IMO the population base in Australian is moving and not in their favour. Further they loose the TV rating war to the NRL which they claim they win.

So this is my way of saying declare war on football and thereby the Mariners and I will look at your claims and see if they stack up and they don't.

Look at my links below and as I said in my post the AFL are faced with two growing sports when there own sport is in a mature phase of growth in the southern states. The population  problem for them is simple being there are more people in NSW & QLD by 2010 estimated to be NSW, ACT, QLD 56% of the population leaving the AFL with only 44% of the population in AFL  heart land.

From the A-League and implied Mariners stance, it  means when the NRL & AFL are talking to the FTA networks  for the next round of FTA contracts football will be sitting there 12 team comp, Asian and international links and much cheaper than either the NRL or AFL.

Here are four references to back up my claim on the NRL rating if you want proof.

So no AFL is not up the shit but they do not scare me, nor their over hyped claims, come and join in the defence of our code just don't scream at those of us who are prepared to analysis what they say ..... come on mate ........fight back

In this article from Crikey worh reading:

http://www.crikey.com.au/Media-Arts-...expansion.html

The AFL cant delivery the ratings and revenues in those markets that the NRL does on Friday nights, or Sunday afternoons for that matter. The Seven Network won Friday nights in Sydney and Brisbane last winter on a regular basis by not showing AFL games and programming non-sport entertainment. If the AFL and its coterie of football writers in Melbourne cant understand that, then the second Sydney team has no hope.
Like it or not Sydney and Brisbane (and the regional areas along the coast north of Sydney) are now the biggest TV markets in the country (Brisbane is the fastest growing). Sydney alone generates 37% of commercial TV revenue in the country. Melbourne accounts for around 25%. Brisbane is almost 18%. That makes Sydney and Brisbane responsible for around 55% of TV ad revenues in metro markets. If you add in the regional areas, the share is even bigger.
The two states are NRL strongholds. Soccer cant reach these markets because its exclusively on Fox Sports for the next five years. Rugby Union is struggling and the AFL just battles to make any headway with viewers.
Advertisers do not want to know about AFL in these markets on Friday nights and Sunday afternoons.

Thats why claims by Caroline Wilson in the weekend Fairfax papers that a new team in Sydney would be seen on TV every Friday night is hot air. Ten wont screen non-Swans games live in Sydney on Saturday nights, preferring to show them on delay from 10.30pm onwards. Seven shows the Friday night AFL games late in the evening. They are not in the business of losing revenue for the benefit of the AFL

BTW the TV audience in Sydney for the Swans when they won the AFL GFin 2005 was nearly a million. The following year twhen they were beaten in the GF the TV audience was a little over 700,000. In 2006 it was 320,000 or about the same as it was in 2004.
Brisbanes highest AFL GF audience 592,000 was in 2003 when they won their third straight GF. Last year it was 270,000.

In the A-League Sydney & Brisbane played the week before the GF & the audience was only 151,000 (these figures include the regional numbers). Thats a long way off SOO RL numbers.

TV audiences
http://www.thinktv.com.au/SiteMedia/...6361a65a7d.pdf

More on the TV ratings for the 2007 figures

According to this site the combined (mainland metrop & regional) audience of last years NRL GF beat the AFL GF TV audience by 428,000.

Top 50 Programs in Australia in 2007 Combined Regions and capital cities.

http://www.thinktv.com.au//Media/Sta...07_Survey8.pdf

1 RUGBY LEAGUE GRAND FINAL 3,748
2 TENNIS: 2007 AUST OPEN - MENS FINAL 3,399
3 AFL FINALS 2007: GRAND FINAL GEELONG V PORT ADELAIDE 3,320
4 TWENTY/20 MATCH - AUSTRALIA V ENGLAND 3,319
5 STATE OF ORIGIN RUGBY LEAGUE QLD V NSW 1ST - MATCH 3,251
6 STATE OF ORIGIN RUGBY LEAGUE NSW V QLD 2ND - MATCH 3,239
7 TENNIS: 2007 AUST OPEN - MENS FINAL PRESENTATION 3,172
8 THE 2007 GRAND FINAL WRAP UP 3,113
9 STATE OF ORIGIN RUGBY LEAGUE QLD V NSW 3RD - MATCH 2,970
10 DANCING WITH THE STARS 6 - GRAND FINAL 2,963
11 KATH & KIM 2,863
12 THE BIGGEST LOSER - FINALE 2,762
13 ONE DAY CRICKET - AUSTRALIA V ENGLAND - GAME 1 SESSION 2 2,683
14 ONE DAY CRICKET - AUSTRALIA V NEW ZEALAND - GAME 5 SESSION 2 2,673
15 THE FORCE - BEHIND THE LINE-MON 2,633
16 ONE DAY CRICKET - AUSTRALIA V NEW ZEALAND - GAME 11 SESSION 2 2,585
17 DANCING WITH THE STARS 7 2,554
18 BORDER SECURITY - AUSTRALIAS FRONT LINE 2,546
19 DANCING WITH THE STARS 6 2,519
20 BIG BROTHER - THE WINNER ANNOUNCED 2,518
21 RUGBY LEAGUE GRAND FINAL ENTERTAINMENT 2,497
22 THANK GOD YOURE HERE 3 2,481
23 THE 2007 GRAND FINAL PRE MATCH 2,471
24 RSPCA ANIMAL RESCUE 2,451
25 OCEANS DEADLIEST 2,438
26 MEDICAL EMERGENCY 2,434
27 STATE OF ORIGIN RUGBY LEAGUE QLD V NSW 1ST - PRE MATCH 2,356
28 ONE DAY CRICKET - AUSTRALIA V ENGLAND - 1ST FINAL SESSION 2 2,293
29 49TH ANNUAL TV WEEK LOGIE AWARDS 2,282
30 ONE DAY CRICKET - AUSTRALIA V NEW ZEALAND - GAME 8 SESSION 1 2,280
31 AFL: PRELIMINARY FINAL 1: GEELONG V COLLINGWOOD 2,268
32 IT TAKES TWO 2,236
33 ONE DAY CRICKET - AUSTRALIA V ENGLAND - 2ND FINAL SESSION 2 2,233
34 BIONIC WOMAN 2,218
35 CITY HOMICIDE 2,218
36 SEA PATROL 2,212
37 BURKES BACKYARD SPRING SPECIAL 2,180
38 ONE DAY CRICKET - AUSTRALIA V ENGLAND - GAME 4 SESSION 2 2,175
39 TV WEEK LOGIE AWARDS ARRIVALS 2,172
40 STATE OF ORIGIN RUGBY LEAGUE QLD V NSW 1ST - POST MATCH 2,163
41 DANCING WITH THE STARS 6: THE FINAL COUNTDOWN 2,161
42 60 MINUTES 2,158
43 ONE DAY CRICKET - AUSTRALIA V NEW ZEALAND - GAME 2 SESSION 2 2,146
44 HOUSE 4 2,131
45 AUSTRALIAN IDOL - FINAL 24 2,123
46 BIG BROTHER - FINALE NIGHT 2,119
47 NATIONAL NEWS SUNDAY 2,119
48 ONE DAY CRICKET - AUSTRALIA V ENGLAND - 2ND FINAL SESSION 1 2,118
49 SHREK 2 2,116
50 AUSTRALIAN IDOL - AUDITION 1 2,110

More if you want ADZ
Last nights FTA TV ratings:

http://blogs.sunherald.com.au/whoweare/

What Australia watched, Saturday

Description Total Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Adelaide Perth

1 SEVEN NEWS - SAT Seven 1,279,000 365,000 358,000 257,000 139,000 159,000
2 DOC MARTIN ABC 1,256,000 393,000 310,000 269,000 131,000 152,000
3 HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS -RPT Nine 1,083,000 338,000 285,000 192,000 128,000 140,000
4 AUSTRALIAS FUNNIEST HOME VIDEO SHOW Nine 1,055,000 292,000 255,000 229,000 132,000 147,000
5 ABC NEWS-SAT ABC 991,000 290,000 290,000 211,000 98,000 101,000
6 NINE NEWS SATURDAY Nine 912,000 280,000 261,000 161,000 138,000 71,000
7 THE GREAT OUTDOORS Seven 869,000 257,000 269,000 168,000 95,000 81,000
8 SATURDAY NIGHT AFL Ten 842,000 118,000 333,000 85,000 126,000 179,000
10 TEN NEWS AT FIVE SAT Ten 751,000 197,000 313,000 132,000 109,000
11 THE BILL ABC 739,000 218,000 180,000 147,000 71,000 123,000
12 MICHAEL PALINS NEW EUROPE Seven 738,000 216,000 226,000 125,000 60,000 111,000
14 LEWIS Seven 718,000 196,000 212,000 127,000 86,000 96,000
15 GARDENING AUSTRALIA ABC 678,000 181,000 204,000 140,000 91,000 64,000
16 SATURDAY AFTERNOON AFL Ten 608,000 68,000 306,000 40,000 100,000 95,000
19 TOP GEAR (SERIES 1) SBS 468,000 168,000 126,000 103,000 41,000 29,000

Brisbane & Sydney despite having their homesides playing both AFL games came last (5th) in their timeslot.

(BTW Sydney v WC screened in Sydney & Brisbane v Port Adelaide was screened Brisbane.)

dibo

the afl are looking after their own interests, and that includes staking a claim on western sydney. that's really their business, and it's not up to them to look after anybody else.

will this make a difference to football in the future? probably not. western sydney is a big place, and a new club averaging 15k (my estimate of their startup crowds) in aussie rules in the winter time is hardly going to crowd out a new club averaging 15k (again, my estimate) in football when they're drawing from the same population of 2 million.

so who cares if they talk themselves up? what material difference is it making to us (the football community) and the people we want to see comng through the gates at football? we don't need a frontier mentality where every other face we see is either with us or against us and those against us must be condemned and destroyed.

we're big enough and ugly enough to stand on our own two feet. hell, we can even be interested in other games without fear that the whole teetering edifice will come toppling down on us.

personally, i plan on going to several swans and dragons matches this year because i like going to watch them. but i'm going to buy my membership of the mariners again, and i'll follow what they're doing with an intensity rather than merely an interest. but most of all, one doesn't affect the other.

adz

Staff member
I see what youre saying but Im not sure where it is going or what the point of it all is? As you said the AFL isnt put on prime time in Brisbane/Sydney and this is probably because the sport is seen as a Victorian sport, as that is where most teams are based. Also going directly against the NRL which is the NSW/QLD sport, the NRL will win every time. I imagine this is why the AFL is trying to expand, so that it has more teams where the population is, and if people have a local team they can connect with they will be more likely to watch the games.

The 320,000 viewers figure for the AFL grand final in Sydney was that for last year when it was Geelong vs. Port? Sydney is an EXTREMELY fickle market; when the Swans are losing, the crowds are down and they get pushed back a few pages in the sports section. When they are winning, they get huge crowds and back page news coverage. I wouldnt expect NSW viewers to be interested in a Vic team vs. a SA team.

The comment about the (non existent) international expansion is interesting too because Ive heard that mentioned as a selling point for the AFL if you want to see the best AFL players and the best games, where do you find them? In Australia, because its only played here. Where do you find the best soccer games? Europe? South America? Anywhere except Australia?

Fair enough about attacking other codes I guess, but I don't understand what this is about, and what the desired outcome is?

midfielder

Sorry Dibo  its not as simple as your post implies. Media and people who pay for medias read about various things and make judgement including things like most watched and 150 years old.

Remember also it was the AFL that declared war not football my post is about not sitting back and give AFL a free kick as football has always done in the past, and leave wrong claims unchallenged.

I also go to RL matches, and on Saturday even went to the Blacktown Demos match to see what the state league is like. So I dont care anyone can watch anything .but dont let people just tell BS unchallenged that can hurt us when TV deals and sponsors are being considered.

This is more about bursting the veneer the AFL continue to hype that they are the top rating TV sport when they are not.

They hype a lot and football needs to start exposing the claims as wrong..........because key decision makers believe them and a AFL staffed sports department in Melbourne are not going to argue these hyped points to those same decision makers.

My point is doubt needs to be created in the minds of decision makers..........and make the AFL ............. and its media partners ........ more cautious about such claims.

midfielder

ADZ

Posted to Dibo before I read your post. So some answers in that post as well.

My point is the AFL want to keep the status que in sport as it stands and do not want to see football continue to grow. Part of the reason they have been able to get to where thay are is because they hype a lot of things they do and it never gets questioned.

Football needs IMO to openly say that is hype.............simply not true..........IMO this will help football and as I said in my post I don't think the AFL is in a powerfull position as they think they are.

dibo

it comes off like a paranoid rant. we're not getting enough attention because the ratings are all wrong, the afl is all lies, yadda yadda yadda.

football will not advance through sending crank emails or letters to media players telling them how all the other codes are evil. we need to work on our home front before we worry about bullshit from others. i simply don't see it making a jot of difference, all we could achieve is to come off sounding like whingy attention deprived cranks. the siege or frontier mentality is the stock in trade of the old NSL - we're big enough that we don't need to play those cards anymore.

midfielder said:
My point is the AFL want to keep the status que in sport as it stands and do not want to see football continue to grow. Part of the reason they have been able to get to where thay are is because they hype a lot of things they do and it never gets questioned.

Football needs IMO to openly say that is hype.............simply not true..........IMO this will help football and as I said in my post I don't think the AFL is in a powerfull position as they think they are.

they're bigger than us. get over it. all the letters and emails won't change the fact that they got 80k to a regular season game the other day in melbourne and over 40k in sydney so clearly they're popular enough.

is there something wrong with the afl looking after their interests? after all, the ffa do the same. all's fair in love and war.

adz

Staff member
midfielder said:
Part of the reason they have been able to get to where thay are is because they hype a lot of things they do and it never gets questioned

Probably because they can back the hype up with numbers, and that is something football cannot do *at the moment*.

If anyone is hyping their code it is football fans, constantly talking about how many people around the world play the sport, how many people watched the World Cup, etc, etc. But what really matters is having the numbers to back it up, and right now football doesnt. Its going in the right direction but we should pick our battles and I dont think this is one we will win currently ;)

When a club with 25,000 members is one of the lowest populated clubs, and a crowd of 24,000 is attacked as being small, I think we can look at the AFL as a guide on how to build brand loyalty, rather than attack them, and apply some of their methods to build football up in Australia to be much much bigger than the AFL can ever hope to be.

midfielder

Dibo

It comes off like a paranoid rant .....WTF....................name one false ............ONE ONLY, FALSE STATEMENT.

The population figures come from the ABS, all links to TV rating are shown.

The AFL does not make hyped claims ...............am I wrong here.

Claims made by the AFL about their position have no affect on the media or key decision makers .................am I wrong.

That it was the AFL that declared war on other codes.................am I wrong.

The media especially in Melbourne are going to say its wrong when they are the ones saying it..........am I wrong.

Seems to me you want the world to be full of sun shine lolly pops ............. But were is one thing I said that is wrong...............yes we are masters of our own density .............. but part of being in charge of your own density is when someone makes false claims you need to say so.

Be genuinely and honestly critical by all means and offer alternative views if you wish but dont just come screaming at me.

dibo

i'm not questioning the facts, i'm questioning the approach. i'm also not 'coming screaming at you' or anything of the like. i'm just not seeing a single thing in your posts that football fans could or should do to benefit our game. most of all, i can't see what you're so scared of. the 'declaration of war' is rubbish. scurrying around trying to resist the 'attacks' only makes us look desperate and fearful, and these are not exactly attractive attributes. we might give the AFL a black eye, but we'll give ourselves two.

Jesus

Jesus
Last i heard the AFL came out and said they did not care if people followed a football team, nrl team, or S14 team, if they came and followed the afl as well.

Nrl on the otherhand said the old come see us, dont have another team, it is trechary.

Both sports are in strong positions which would take decades to erode. I dont see them dying. I see football growing, but as with this years figures, that does not have to be at the expence of other codes.

midfielder

Dibo

I am not scared of anything in fact I said don't over estimate the AFL strenght and they are not as powerful as they think they are.

The declaration of war rubbish .............. was not me .............. it was the AFL .......... I simply wondered why they did and posted IMO why they did ...their key reasons ............ population movernents in Australia and that the NRL was off its knees after the SLW and football was growing with both codes being able to on sell into NZ & PNG.

Thats when I formed the opinion that much of what the AFL say is hype not fact ........... but many believe what they say is fact. So it was my own little way of saying not only am I not scared I am confident and posted what I found.

About the screamimg your comments like "it comes off like a paranoid rant" & "I football will not advance through sending crank emails or letters to media players" .........screamed at me.

In fact I said emails off to the media would have little effect.

I also like yourseld enjoy and can see good in most codes in fact I played semi profesional RL for a club called Guildford as a half back.  Can even lack claim to playing against some of the Pommie test players who were past there use by date at ARL level

So we have a differene of opinion I believe it is important to fight back......or say when I think they talk BS to say it is BS................you see little point as football will grow regardless of what the AFL do or say. ............Maybe we are both a little right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred