• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

AFL Season (and preseason) 2011

adz

Staff member
Firstly there are some AFL fans on here, obviously a lot of anti-AFL people too, so I just ask that if you don't like AFL, please keep it to yourself, this thread is not the place for telling us how shit you think AFL is.

Anyway. NAB Cup is about to start on Friday. Interesting format this season, with groups of 3 playing shortened games back to back! I'm a Melbourne Demons fan - we have a bit of a shitty draw with Port and Adelaide, in Adelaide, but what can ya do. The competition newbies Greater Western Sydney, Gold Coast Suns are playing Sydney out at Blacktown. Will be interesting to see how they go and if the NRL players can actually kick a ball. My guess is they can't!

Any thoughts on NAB Cup?

scottmac

Suspended
I've always wondered why the AFL didn't play these pre-season comps or their so called State of Origin series using the International Rules format which they play every now and again with Ireland.

Seems that if they are going to have an Australian team they might as well play the format at some stage.

I wonder if Sydney was thrilled with having to play 2 brand new franchises for a warm up to the season while other serious contenders get proper competition without the sideshow factor (league recruits)

timmers

Considering GWS just scraped past the Sydney AFL u21 team (a team which trains only as hard as amateurs can). I think that they will be absolutely pummelled by the Swans and GC.

adz

Staff member
scottmac - not sure what you mean by so-called State of Origin series, I think the last one they played was some one off thing, Victoria vs a "Dream Team" made up of other states. They used to play proper State of Origin, but the Vics just won all the time, it was boring! The players used to do everything they could to get out of it, the crowds were low, completely the opposite of the Rugby League state of origin!

timmers - yeah I don't like GWS chances. I wonder what sort of tactics Sheedy is gonna play? His usual style is rough the other team up, which might have worked for the Bombers in 2000 but not exactly these days.

scottmac

Suspended
scottmac - not sure what you mean by so-called State of Origin series, I think the last one they played was some one off thing, Victoria vs a "Dream Team" made up of other states. They used to play proper State of Origin, but the Vics just won all the time, it was boring! The players used to do everything they could to get out of it, the crowds were low, completely the opposite of the Rugby League state of origin!

timmers - yeah I don't like GWS chances. I wonder what sort of tactics Sheedy is gonna play? His usual style is rough the other team up, which might have worked for the Bombers in 2000 but not exactly these days.

Yeah the proper SOO where they had SA, WA and VIC. Not sure who else played it or for how long they haven't played it as I don't follow AFL. I just thought that having a one off international series without any lead ins or selection trials was a bit weird.

IMO, if this sport did not exist, then Australia would be regularly in the top 10 in the world for football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred