• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

AFC U-23 Championship 2016 / Olyroo's

dibo

Just catching some of the replay - our play looks great. Can't fathom how we're not a couple up inside the first few minutes.

Forum Phoenix

Yeah depressing result for a good performance.

Have never rated #pissanttown as a coach. Really want to change that opinion and watch us qualify.

Last edited:

Rowdy

Was a mistake starting Donachie over Thomas Deng who's getting regular game time under Muscnut.

Gallifuoco's OG came from Donachie failing to win a clearing header just in front of GG, who desperately tried to hook it to safety.

Dont blame him (GG) for what was Donachies error.

Also a big shame that both Musti and Antonis were crook all week with a virus.

Last edited:

Rowdy

AUS v VIETNAM tonite (replay of course) 8pm on Foxsports 4 or you can go to FoxSports website and watch it on there.

Forum Phoenix

“All-in-all we probably didn’t start very well with the game against the UAE,” said Vidmar. “I thought we were good enough to get out of the group, but what you wish for you don’t always get. We probably didn’t play as well as we should have in that first game but that’s the way it goes.”
Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/...ionship-after-jordan-draw#vGLz2xfT5kw4wgMM.99

Ok that's it. Glad I didn't get up for it. Need to watch it, but
nil all in a must win game positively screams Vidmar.

The Vidmar experiment should have ended four years ago. That's more than enough now. Of course they're good enough to get out of the bloody group. Costing our younger players vital international experience and the experience of a life time.

Our main junior coaches are too dour, uncreative and just plain old boring. The way he speaks about their exit... :fireup:#pissanttownout

dibo

I watched the first game, they weren't that bad. They didn't score, but they had enough chances to score a hatful.

Last night Maclaren hit the bar *late* - had he scored the story would've been about guts and pulling through at the death.

The patterns of play, the amount of possession and the general willingness to be proactive are good, we're missing the last pass and the finish. That kills you in tournaments for sure, but it doesn't mean the whole structure is f**ked and that we need to burn it down.

The hyperbole and overreaction that has followed this result is as predictable as it is disappointing.

As ever, everyone's favourite talking head, Robbie Slater, is leading the charge. I wonder if Slater might have any suggestions for players that might have been included in the squad. I wonder if Slater has turned hard against any other coaches who've opted not to include such players in a squad...

Rowdy

:fireup:#pissanttownout

Vidmar's NOT the first National Coach @ this level to face a barrage of pitch forks. :cool:

Go on ! Just watch it again, it'll make you feel better. :p

As for Ange v Foster,

"He who wins last, is winning".
& Ange is def. WINNING.

sydmariner

Vidmar's NOT the first National Coach @ this level to face a barrage of pitch forks. :cool:

Go on ! Just watch it again, it'll make you feel better. :p

As for Ange v Foster,

"He who wins last, is winning".
& Ange is def. WINNING.
sometimes fozz can be a bit of a dickhead but he was wrong about Ange cos he made made us CHAMPIONS OF ASIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Rowdy

You've got that all arse backwards my son. :confused:

Fozz can IS a bit of a dickhead. &
Fozz DIDN'T make us Champions of Asia.

That was Ange...... again winning. ;)

Forum Phoenix

I watched the first game, they weren't that bad. They didn't score, but they had enough chances to score a hatful.

Last night Maclaren hit the bar *late* - had he scored the story would've been about guts and pulling through at the death.

The patterns of play, the amount of possession and the general willingness to be proactive are good, we're missing the last pass and the finish. That kills you in tournaments for sure, but it doesn't mean the whole structure is f**ked and that we need to burn it down.

The hyperbole and overreaction that has followed this result is as predictable as it is disappointing.

As ever, everyone's favourite talking head, Robbie Slater, is leading the charge. I wonder if Slater might have any suggestions for players that might have been included in the squad. I wonder if Slater has turned hard against any other coaches who've opted not to include such players in a squad...

Agree on first game. They're a very good group. Nor do I think the structure / natiobnal curriculum is f**ked and should be burnt down.

But as said, I have never rated Vidmar. He simply cannot motivate or inspire.

When Foster went at Ange (remember it well) however, I argued the total opposite and the only place I wanted to stick my pitch fork was in Foster.

I admit I haven't watched the Jordan game and I'm not aware of what's going on outside here today (been to busy) but regardless Vidmar has earned his pitchfork for mine. Dour, uninspiring coach, and 9 times out of 10 that I've watched, his teams have always reflected this.

true believer

just quietly , another fail . anyone remember two world cup u20's semis in a row ?
not with the current numbies in charge . or with a busted arsed hobby horse .
the ffa need an outside commission into under 15 to 23 set up's and epic failures

someone like mark viduka needs to be asked to come in and have a look.

dibo

Anyone else noticed that the rest of the world have professionalised their development structures too? In most cases, they haven't just caught up; they've actually gone past us in terms of facilities and keeping squads together to train in advance of tournaments.

Can anyone point to where the FFA training headquarters is? We don't have one.

Brad Smith of Liverpool and Chris Ikonomidis of Lazio were missing from this tournament. They might have made quite a difference. Other countries get to draw on their top U23s because they play domestically and their managers have to give them up.

There's more to it than "the coaching's shit" etc.

Rowdy

H's doing OK with Watford s U21's, but I feel he's still got a while to go yet.

From the last interview I saw him give whilst at Watford & what he said in regards to his coaching pathway, he'd probably agree.

Especially for whats being talked about on here, in regards to a total review.

Forum Phoenix

Dibo, I agree there is of course more to it than the coaching. And I know people are ranting about a winning culture etc. But personally I would just have a lot more confidence in a coach who seemed to consistently get the best out of players even when they lost.
The most obvious example is that the football Ange's teams produce to Vidmar's is chalk and cheese. So again I don't think it's about the national curriculum. I thought it was a brilliant idea and still do, and having read some of the outrage today you mentioned,
I think those people who believe they're calling it out now have it wrong, and yeah OTT as usual. Sorry if you think I'm one of them. But I do think he needs to go.

Largely because I think any structure or tactic is always in balance with the spontaneous moment and opportunities and problems at hand. Games are so often decided by just a few key moments. Some of which can be a total deviation from their structural norm or the like. So players need to be able to follow and encouraged to trust their instincts as well as try and meet the responsibilities in their given structure/tactic. I think this is hard to do. And a sign of a truly great coach. But I have never seen this in Aurelios sides . His teams always look organised, and his players always look stifled. Rarely expressing themselves. Beyond the odd hair cut.;)

For mine, I don't think there's too much mystery to it. This is the guy who talked about beheading his players like they do in Saudi Arabia before being sacked for his boring and ineffective results yet again,
(as he was only still in the job after his first abysmal showing in the HAL because he LUCKED, and I watched every single flukey minute of that campaign - and was very happy for them and Oz - but they unbelievably LUCKED their way through that campaign and into that AFC final).
And then he backed it up with another abysmal looking HAL campaign, same squad and they played the same, just no luck this time. He ranted.. and was fined... and sacked... and then practically walked straight into the young socceroos job. And I though WTF is going on here? This seems like a crazy appointment. But hey maybe I have it all wrong. But I've seen nothing but evidence since to suggest it was a bad decision and that his own limitations are still being clearly manifested in the teams he coaches.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred