• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

ACL worthiness

fruitbat

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league/the-curse-of-winning-the-a-league-162434/

Given the way teams can perform well one year and not make the finals the next (eg Newcastle), how reasonable is it to select these teams to represent the A-league at the ACL? I mean we could be sending the current wooden spooners to Asia next time. What sort of message does that send about the quality of the comp here.

Is it possible to send the top 2 teams on the current season's ladder instead or are the rules on which teams qualify fixed?

northernspirit

apparently they are looking to change it later on so it is the current premiers/champions - thankfully we werent pulled and can take our rightful place

David Votoupal

In international club comps, you never know just how teams go. Considering that the quality of some of the teams we've seen in Asia isn't that flash, and that in these kind of comps luck can play a big part, it's hard to write anyone off.

In 2007, both Adelaide United and Sydney FC were coming off post-finals upheavals (AU's 6-0 GF loss, Sydney's insipid exit from the finals, change of coach, players leaving or about to leave) and acquainted themselves very well in Asia. In fact, Sydney matched the eventual champions Urawa Red Diamonds in both games for draws.

In 2008, we all know what happened, Adelaide United did Australia proud to get to the final while Melbourne Victory suffered the blow of losing Thompson and Hernandez to injury which scuppered their chances.

I do believe the Mariners have the ability to get to the Round of 16 at the least.

Jorome Alexander Bennett

David Votoupal said:
In 2008, we all know what happened, Adelaide United did Australia proud

WTF??
Do you not read the papers? AUFC were a disgrace. They signified the sudden death of soccer. I haven't heard anything from wog ball since, excepting the joke of a comp they call the WC coming to Australia (snore).

It would be better if it were the freshly crowned premiers and champions that represented. But that is tough considering when our competition ends. They are still having qualifying matches for the 32, so it would be similar to that. But it is hard to see AFC going for such late club admissions.

scottmac

Suspended
Jorome Alexander Bennett said:
David Votoupal said:
In 2008, we all know what happened, Adelaide United did Australia proud

WTF??
Do you not read the papers? AUFC were a disgrace. They signified the sudden death of soccer. I haven't heard anything from wog ball since, excepting the joke of a comp they call the WC coming to Australia (snore).

It would be better if it were the freshly crowned premiers and champions that represented. But that is tough considering when our competition ends. They are still having qualifying matches for the 32, so it would be similar to that. But it is hard to see AFC going for such late club admissions.

Which could get even later due to the impending expansion of our comp.

Rowdy

Jorome Alexander Bennett said:
They are still having qualifying matches for the 32, so it would be similar to that. But it is hard to see AFC going for such late club admissions.

ACL draw showed x2? teams to be confirmed as of yet not determined?  :-\

brett

Hmm, match day 1 is what, March 11?

A-League Grand Final is 28 Feb.

Not much lead time to plan that first fixture, especially as our league extends as scottmac says.

Redline

Does anyone know what time kickoff would be for our home games? Being that I have a 3hr drive to gosford, I'd need to know whether or not I need to take half a day off to get there in time.

Also, someone mentioned that there is an out of towners membership that grants access to 3 home games IIRC...would that be applicable for the ACL games?

marinermick

Countryhick said:
Does anyone know what time kickoff would be for our home games? Being that I have a 3hr drive to gosford, I'd need to know whether or not I need to take half a day off to get there in time.

Also, someone mentioned that there is an out of towners membership that grants access to 3 home games IIRC...would that be applicable for the ACL games?

assuming 7:30 or 8:00pm

Redline

Thats what I would hope...but there have been a few occasions where kick off has been 6.30pm in the past.

dru

marinermick said:
Countryhick said:

assuming 7:30 or 8:00pm

Both Adelaide and Melbourne ACL games were 7.30pm kick off in the group stages. would assume we are the same

marinermick

Countryhick said:
Thats what I would hope...but there have been a few occasions where kick off has been 6.30pm in the past.

very much doubt this would be the case but you can never be 100%

Redline

Cause I didn't want to start another thread just for it, but it seems that Adelaide are a fairly decent bet for the ACL next year....will be very interesting to see how they go, having been once, knowing how gruelling it is with the matches there and here, the travelling etc, and what they do differently to help them cope better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred