• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A league media deal thread

turbo

We’re going to see more of these articles popping up the way things are developing so might be worth starting a thread for them.

A-League’s season in turmoil as Fox Sports removes games from website
Tom Smithies, The Daily Telegraph
June 18, 2020 6:22pm
Subscriber only
The completion of the A-League season may yet be broadcast on Fox Sports, after more negotiations between the broadcaster and Football Federation Australia late on Thursday.
Though Foxtel, as owner of Fox Sports, has indicated it intends to walk away from its contract to show the competition until 2023, confirmation of a deal to broadcast the remainder of this season could come as soon as Friday.
That would give both sides some breathing space to consider the long-term future of a deal worth $57m a year until the coronavirus struck, though any further discussions are almost certain to be about how and when the partnership between Fox Sports and FFA is dissolved.

Get your sport fix on Kayo ahead of live games returning soon - classic match replays, documentaries and the latest news & announcements. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
Doubts surround the future of this year’s A-League season. Picture: AAP Image/Dean Lewins
Doubts surround the future of this year’s A-League season. Picture: AAP Image/Dean Lewins
One option would be for both parties to agree a one-year deal at a reduced rate, allowing FFA and the clubs time to find a new broadcast partner.
MORE IN SPORT
Copes' Captain: Who to put the orange armband on

Copes’ Captains: Ones are guns but seven is heaven
Copes’ Captains: Ones are guns but seven is heaven

b b b b b b b b

Broncos, Bateman rocked by NRL player agent ban
Broncos, Bateman rocked by NRL player agent ban

similars

But the immediate threat to the resumption of this season will be lifted if agreement is struck on Friday, after some club owners had called for the remaining rounds to be scrapped if the games were not to be broadcast.
Just 26 days until the A-League is supposed to resume, agreement with Fox to show it would be the final piece in the jigsaw after the clubs resumed training this week for the first time since March, under strict medical protocols, with the first game of the planned resumption set down for July 16.
Beyond that Fox Sports made clear it would only continue its 15-year relationship with FFA at a greatly reduced price, a level FFA had so far refused to countenance.
Perth Glory owner Tony Sage has been outspoken about the future of the current season.
Perth Glory owner Tony Sage has been outspoken about the future of the current season.
An invoice for nearly $15m sent by FFA to Fox on Monday – for the July-September quarter – appears to have been the catalyst for the breakdown, with Fox removing all domestic football content from its website late on Wednesday.
The original deal was worth some $57m a year, with three years left to run, but broadcasters have sought to renegotiate contracts with a variety of sports in the wake of the coronavirus epidemic.
A force majeure clause in the current FFA/Fox Sports deal, standard in such contracts, allows the broadcaster to step away from the contract or renegotiate in the event that its content is not delivered for a specified period.
Former FFA CEO David Gallop agreed to a force majeure clause in 2016. Picture: AAP Image/James Gourley
Former FFA CEO David Gallop agreed to a force majeure clause in 2016. Picture: AAP Image/James Gourley
There have been calls for FFA to develop its own broadcast platform, dubbed a “football Netflix”, with A-League, Socceroo and NPL content all available to subscribers. And using streaming technology that is more affordable than traditional linear broadcasting.
Club officials had discussed whether that could be set up within weeks, but with 32 games in 36 days it would present a huge logistic challenge – and cost at least $1m.
Foxtel declined to comment. FFA have been approached for comment.

pjennings

A-League set for winter switch after securing new Fox Sports deal

The A-League is on track for a change from summer to winter after clinching a new broadcast deal with Fox Sports to ensure coverage for not only the rest of the current season, but the 2020-21 campaign as well.

As reported by the Herald and The Age on Thursday, Foxtel - the parent company of Fox Sports - has abandoned its previous six-year deal with Football Federation Australia, worth nearly $60 million a year.

But the pay-TV network has not abandoned football entirely, after agreeing on Friday to a fresh one-year contract that both parties see as a win under the circumstances. An official announcement is imminent, sources say.

The arrangement is believed to be worth about $32 million to FFA, which is a reduction on the old contract but in line with other renegotiated broadcast deals accepted by other sports in recent weeks.

Crucially, according to sources, it stipulates the 2020-21 season will begin in December and finish in July, putting the A-League on course for a gradual switch from summer to winter.

The following season is likely to be played in the 2022 calendar year, fitting neatly with the World Cup in Qatar, which is slated to begin in November.

FFA chief executive James Johnson told SEN Radio this month that a move to winter was "on the table" for football.

The idea is supported by some A-League powerbrokers and would enable closer alignment with grassroots football, which is played in winter. It also removes a key obstacle in the way of a promotion and relegation system in the Australian game, which supporters and former players have demanded.

Ads

I don’t know about the success of a Winter
A-League.

If the majority of fans that attend the
A-League games and watch on tv are involved in the local leagues playing + kids, Saturday and Sunday are big days and it’s nice during the day to get out in the sun but to then find energy to go out in the cold at night?

Maybe if your a single lad but a lot of the other demographics will suffer.

I actually really enjoy the ability to get out to the stadium in thongs and shirt and enjoy the summer evenings.

I do agree it will be good to align with international calendars and other competitions but if tv viewership and attendance go down it eventually will end back where it is.

Pirate Pete

Not sure how I feel about this.
I can understand the idea of getting inline with the rest of Austtralian football during winter.
But like Ads says I like going in T shirt, shorts and thongs.
Having grown up watching football in England in winter it's great not to freeze to death watching a game.
And as soon as it rains some prick in front of you will open an umbrella.

And how about signing overseas players from Europe when our season doesn't align with theirs?

marinermick

A-League.

A-League games and watch on tv are involved in the local leagues playing + kids, Saturday and Sunday are big days and it’s nice during the day to get out in the sun but to then find energy to go out in the cold at night?

I actually really enjoy the ability to get out to the stadium in thongs and shirt and enjoy the summer evenings.

I do agree it will be good to align with international calendars and other competitions but if tv viewership and attendance go down it eventually will end back where it is.

Agree with this.

People have short memories and don’t remember how shit the old NSL was in this regard.

There was a very compelling reason why they moved to summer football.

And our season is already with Europe. June/July football is not aligned with Europe. Starting football in December will mean we get the scraps of imports as the majority of players will already be contracted by then.

One thing I will disagree with though is that you will get plenty of shorts and things weather December through to March and that is four months without local football. The season after that it is a different story.

Big Al

Can’t please everyone unfortunately and you could argue that the sport is dying again so may as well change things up.
It’s ballsy but also well,we are going to stop worrying about the other sports.
There are lots of fans that like more than one sport so will be competitive for dollars for sure.
As for summer I’ve missed games because it’s simply to hot and would rather be in the pool or at the beach etc. but do love rocking up in shorts and T shirt but this way you get both.
Hopefully it can bring more local players to games as they might finish a game and the team says lets go to the Mariners tonight. I suppose the local premier league and CCU might clash but there is chances for double headers.
Would be great to go watch a local league game followed by the Mariners or CCU followed by the Mariners or even the academy or swap them around depending on kick off times. Requires everyone to work together But i see that as a better option.

pjennings

A-League.

I agree with the bolded bit. However, some days are just too hot, even sitting in the shade on the western side.

My kids are older now but when we started in August they were always keen to go to the Mariners with team-mates and that continued through the season. When we moved to October my kids still came - but most of their mates didn't because they had finished playing for the year.

TBH I would love to see see some double headers arranged with CCMA or CCU or even a W-League team (surely we will have one if the Australia wins the WWC bid).

The problem if we do make the switch to winter will always be the grounds. Adelaide, Perth and ourselves are probably least affected in that way. Western United are also looking at other options than Kardinia Park. Campbelltown, Leichhardt and WIN also do not host that many NRL games.

turbo

However, some days are just too hot, even sitting in the shade on the western side.
That can be resolved by rethinking the scheduling a bit and maybe having an alternative schedule through the peak of summer. Utilise Wellington and Perth for early or late games. Maybe even look at bringing in a Thursday night game.

even a W-League team (surely we will have one if the Australia wins the WWC bid).

i know we’ve heard they want it to be self funding but if we get a W league team and still can’t field a competitive A league side that’s going to get a lot of fans offside. Or worse still it’ll be another competition we can suck in and go for a double spoon.

marinermick

FFA have already stated that the next W-League will go to the highest bidder. Do you honestly think it will be us?

pjennings

FFA have already stated that the next W-League will go to the highest bidder. Do you honestly think it will be us?

I haven't seen that. I have seen them saying that each Australia A-League club should have them and I have also seen them telling Macarthur Rams to wait their turn as others (including us) are in front of them.

FFA may have reneged on it since then which was why I qualified my statement with the WWC bid.

sydmariner

Football to continue on Fox Sports through to July 2021

Football Federation Australia (FFA) and Fox Sports Australia (Fox Sports) tonight confirmed they had reached agreement on a new broadcast deal that will see football broadcast on Fox Sports through to the end of July 2021.
The agreement ensures that the remainder of the Hyundai A-League 2019/20 season will resume on 16 July and be completed as planned.
Australia’s final four FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ Round 2 Asian Qualifiers will be shown on Fox Sports, while Socceroos and Westfield Matildas friendly international matches will be aired on the network through to 31 July 2021.
The A-League 2020/21 and Westfield W-League 2020/21 seasons will also be shown on Fox Sports.
FFA Chief Executive Officer James Johnson acknowledged Foxtel and Fox Sports for their collaboration during the negotiation, noting that the deal will help to provide the certainty football requires.
“I would like to thank Foxtel CEO Patrick Delany and Head of Fox Sports Peter Campbell for their continued support for Australian football,” Johnson said.
“The pandemic has created uncertainty and accelerated disruption to the sports media sector and to football here in Australia and abroad – this new agreement adjusts to this new reality, secures the immediate future of football in Australia and provides flexibility for FFA to lay a foundation to transition into a new world for Australian professional football.
“The deal will see the professional game – for women and men – reactivated, and ensures that football at the heart of all our thinking in the future.
“It will also provide immediate certainty for clubs, players, coaches, officials and, most importantly, fans, for the remainder of the current Hyundai A-League season, as well as the next.“
We are equally as pleased to have secured the next season for the Westfield W-League to ensure we can continue to drive interest and growth in women’s football in Australia,” he said.
Australian Professional Football Clubs Association (APFCA) Chairman Paul Lederer also thanked Foxtel, Fox Sports and FFA for successfully concluding their discussions.
“Fox Sports has been an outstanding partner of the Hyundai A-League and the Westfield W-League and we are pleased that this partnership will continue until the 2020/21 season,” Lederer said. “
This deal ensures that our fans and members will be able to enjoy the exciting conclusion to the current Hyundai ALeague season, and look forward to the next A-League and Westfield W-League seasons.”
FFA CEO James Johnson added that a key feature of the new broadcast deal includes a shift in the timing of the next A-League season, with the 2020/21 season now commencing in December 2020 and concluding in July 2021.
“The shift in the timing of the next A-League season is a strategic decision to enhance the alignment of our top tier professional men’s league with the grassroots playing season of the largest community sport in the country,” Johnson explained.
“There are numerous benefits to this, including better aligning the competition pyramid of Australian football to facilitate enhanced football outcomes like a modern domestic transfer system, and enabling deeper engagement with our vast grassroots football community at the precise time our many participants are most engaged in our great game.
“Despite challenging times, this deal will help us continue the process of transforming our professional leagues and move the sport towards an exciting future.”
Free-to-air broadcast partner ABC TV will continue to broadcast one A-League and Westfield W-League match per week through to the end of July 2021, along with FFA-controlled Socceroos and Westfield Matildas matches.
The new agreement will no longer see the FFA Cup broadcast on Fox Sports and FFA will consider innovative new broadcast arrangements for the only truly national Cup competition in Australian sport. “
The FFA Cup is unique in the Australian sporting landscape and connects the grassroots and National Premier Leagues with the Hyundai A-League. We will be forever grateful to Foxtel and Fox Sports for sharing our vision to create this special competition in the first place. We are excited for the future of the FFA Cup and will make further announcements about its future direction in due course,” Johnson concluded.
Peter Campbell, Head of Fox Sports said: “We want to be there for football fans and we are pleased to have a new agreement that supports the completion of the 2019/20 A-League season and provides certainty for FFA, clubs, players and supporters to begin planning and to get excited for next season.
“This new deal also provides us with the opportunity to work with FFA over the next year as they reset and re-energize the professional game in Australia and explore the best possible range of future broadcast options for the game.
“Football has been through a challenging period and we are excited to have the W-League, Socceroos, Matildas back on Fox Sports and for the A-League restart on 16 July, every game live and ad-break free during play.”
The financial details of the deal will remain commercial in confidence.
The FFA Cup is no longer being shown on Fox

pjennings

So in money terms it looks like the club will be getting $1,142,857 less from the media deal - down to $2, 057,143. Quite a haircut!!

pjennings

Worth a look at - it seems Foxtel is now controlled offshore and Rupert may be preparing it for sale,

adz

Staff member
Interesting. I got this the other day - had no idea I even had a subscription but it was just cancelled out of the blue, with no explanation.

image.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami