• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A League Expansion

style_cafe

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/named-and-famed-all-15-a-league-expansion-bids-491692

With the nominations for expansion of the A League now public, I thought a discussion might pass the time.

It`s interesting that 15 nominations have been submitted although I was surprised that Brisbane Strikers withdrew their nomination as they would have have had a good chance.
Looking at the NSW nominations:-

CAMPBELLTOWN - 50 kilometres south-west of Sydney's CBD, a NSW bid based at the 20,000 capacity Campbelltown Sports Stadium. Backed by billionaire property developer Lang Walker with Brett Emerton as Bid Ambassador.
I must admit I have a bias for this one as I am a former Chairman of Macarthur Rams. However, geographically it would be an ideal contender. The Macarthur area is a rapidly expanding region, locked in between Badgery`s creek airport (Penrith),Western Sydney,Sutherland & Wollongong.
It already has a 20,000 capacity stadium located next to Leumeah railway station and is only a minute drive from the M5 freeway. The Macarthur Rams are currently in NPL2 & the local Association boasts over 11,000 registered players. Bid ambassador Brett Emmerton is a local lad as is ex socceroos David Carney,Matt Thompson & Paul Reid.Current Matildas player Alanna Kennedy is also a local along with ex Matildas Heather Garriock & Sarah Walsh just to name a few.
This could be the dark horse of the submissions as they are located far enough away from Sydney FC (1Hr) & Wanderers (1hr) & also Wollongong (1hr) if that bid is successful.

SOUTH-WEST SYDNEY - Based in Liverpool, west of Sydney. A new A-League bid aiming to take advantage of South-West Sydney's growing population, infrastructure projects and city planning.
Basically a bid by Southern Districts Football Association. Although Liverpool is growing as a business centre, there is no stadium there as yet. The location is classed as part of western Sydney so there would be some conflict there as well as with Sydney FC which is only about 40mins away.

SOUTHERN EXPANSION - Aiming to represent the Sutherland, St George and Illawarra regions, will play its home games at three separate venues. Backed by a Chinese / Hong Kong-based investor.
An interesting submission. From all accounts a new stadium is to be built at Loftus to accomodate the franchise. Money seems to be no object. This is a strong football community with NPL clubs Sutherland , Rockdale Suns & Wollongong Wolves within it`s catchment area as well as many NPL2 & 3 clubs.
The location would be the biggest drawback though, with it`s close proximity to Sydney FC (30mins). If accepted it would almost certainly be the death-knell for Wollongong as a stand alone ALeague club.

WOLLONGONG WOLVES - Another former NSL heavyweight led by CEO Chris Papakosmas, based at 18,000 capacity WIN Stadium. Adam Federici is Bid Ambassador.
A similar region to our own in size & population & a former successful NSL club. It already has it`s stadium (beside the beach) at Wollongong & is close to rail /road transport. Wollongong is also seen as the regional centre of southeast NSW & as such has a huge catchment area extending down to the border. An ideal location (1hr) from Sydney FC, ( 2hrs) from Wanderers & 45mins from Macarthur. A sentimental favourite.

TASMANIA

TASMANIA UNITED - Backed by former Victory shareholders Robert Belteky and Harry Stamoulis, currently based at 18,000-capacity North Hobart Oval with tentative government plans for rectangular stadium.
This bid stands alone, as it is a would give Tasmania it`s only National football league sport & would spread the football brand into a new frontier.With the whole state as the catchment area, a population of over 500,000 people & the support of the State Government this will be a strong bid.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

ADELAIDE 11 - Backed by former NSL club Adelaide City despite their previous uncertainty over viability and based out of West Adelaide, reportedly aiming to play at Cooper's Stadium.
Another former NSL club seeking admission to the A League. This appears to be one of the weaker bids with Adelaide City seeking to share Adelaide United`s ground. Not sure of it`s financial capacity but with Damien Mori involved anything is possible.

QUEENSLAND

BRISBANE CITY - The only Brisbane-based bid due to Brisbane Strikers' withdrawal. Led by former politician and CEO Robert Cavalucci, based at 19,000 capacity Ballymore Stadium.
Whist Queensland deserve another team due to the Roar`s success i`m not sure this is the one we need. Very little information other than the ground location.

GOLD COAST UNITED - Former A-League club that had its licence revoked in 2012 under the former ownership of Clive Palmer, based at 27,000 capacity Robina Stadium.
The Gold Coast is a very strong football community with well established local clubs.
It`s a large,well populated area with a fantastic Stadium.The biggest plus for this bid is that Clive Palmer has nothing to do with it.

WESTERN PRIDE - Provisional Ipswich bid launched by Queensland NPL club Western Pride, currently based at 5,000 capacity North Ipswich Reserve.
Could this be the Wanderers Queensland style? A successful NPL side with players currently feeding into the Roar & Mariners. The stadium would need to be upgraded as it only has a limited capacity & is shared with the local rugby league team.With a projected population of 430,000 by 2031 it may be a bit ambitious & premature at this stage.

AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY

CANBERRA - Another late bid, unrevealed whether it has direct links with W-League side Canberra United. Canberra based backers, based at 25,000 capacity Canberra Stadium.
Canberra would be good for the A League as it`s a single city bid with Territory Govt backing & a large catchment area.The biggest drawback though would be it`s perceived isolation, but with a very strong WSL team it could be a goer.

WESTERN AUSTRALIA

FREMANTLE CITY - Reportedly sharing Perth Glory's 20,000 capacity nib Stadium and launched separately to existing W.A NPL club Fremantle City.

A real roughie. Whilst Perth could handle another team I don`t think the FFA will look favourably on this bid. A shared stadium with Glory isn`t ideal & Fremantle City taking the title from another club doesn`t look good

VICTORIA

TEAM 11 - Dandenong-based bid represented by local councillors and former Herald Sun journalist Matt Windley. Provisional plans for a boutique stadium next to Dandenong Station.
No stadium as yet & very little information?

SOUTH MELBOURNE - Former NSL heavyweights and four-time national champions, the Oceania Club of the Century is based at the 12,000 capacity Lakeside Stadium.
Probably one of the favourites for inclusion. SM is a former NSL club with a large following.Their inclusion could breakdown some of the divisions between the old NSL & the A League.They have the money,the basis of a team & have a stadium (abeit in need of an upgrade) only problem is they also play in blue.

WEST MELBOURNE - Reportedly the relocation of a Geelong-based bid to represent Melbourne's western suburbs, sparked interest by announcing it could fund its own A-League stadium.
Another serious contender with plenty of money apparently.Not sure where they would play whilst the stadium is being built. I wonder if they play in blue?

BELGRAVIA LEISURE - Geoff Lord's late-bid for an A-League club based in inner Melbourne, stadium plans yet to be announced.
No Idea about this one

pjennings

9 Australian HAL clubs, 15 expansion bids. How many would be happy with a 2nd division with P & R to come?

Then you have Adelaide City, Central West United, Sunshine Coast, Darwin, Cairns, Townsville plus who have said they will go after a 2nd division plus up to 20 other NPL clubs that have expressed interested in going to a higher level.

Interesting times ahead. And how much is dependent on a new congress? We could be making a quantum leap or could be about to squib another chance. Personally I would like to see the FFA bite the bullet and go to 14 teams soon with 5 new teams (assuming Wellington will drop out at the next review.

priorpeter

Southern Expansion is destined to fail. Playing out of 3 venues? Please. Yet my gut tells me the FFA in their infinite wisdom will bring them in - especially with the money they have behind them.

Would love to see any of Tassie, Wollongong, Canberra, and the Gold Coast (purely selfishly thinking of excellent away trips) in, but I feel it will end up being Southern Expansion and South Melbourne.

style_cafe

9 Australian HAL clubs, 15 expansion bids. How many would be happy with a 2nd division with P & R to come?

Then you have Adelaide City, Central West United, Sunshine Coast, Darwin, Cairns, Townsville plus who have said they will go after a 2nd division plus up to 20 other NPL clubs that have expressed interested in going to a higher level.

Interesting times ahead. And how much is dependent on a new congress? We could be making a quantum leap or could be about to squib another chance. Personally I would like to see the FFA bite the bullet and go to 14 teams soon with 5 new teams (assuming Wellington will drop out at the next review.
It sure is an interesting situation.
I think expanding to 14 teams is a good idea as long as the new clubs have the stadiums & finance to be sustainable.
Those missing out could form a second division with top 2 clubs being promoted after say 3-4 years to make a 16 team A League.
Then the top NPL clubs could be invited to also join to make a 14 or 16 team 2nd division.

Darwin is an interesting choice. They used to play in the Singapore League once upon a time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Cubs_FC
I`d love to see them in the A League.
Also, it wouldn`t be a bad area to have a talent scout as they have a large immigrant population of Brits, Irish, Sth Afrians etc

VicMariner

Southern Expansion is exactly the kind of metric chasing, drag net club the FFA love. Nearly every football person thinks that bid is dumb.

I'd love to see Wolves get in.

And a big yes to P&R and a second division.

sydmariner

TASMANIA UNITED - Backed by former Victory shareholders Robert Belteky and Harry Stamoulis, currently based at 18,000-capacity North Hobart Oval with tentative government plans for rectangular stadium.
This bid stands alone, as it is a would give Tasmania it`s only National football league sport & would spread the football brand into a new frontier.With the whole state as the catchment area, a population of over 500,000 people & the support of the State Government this will be a strong bid.
Hobartunited.jpg

pjennings

It sure is an interesting situation.
I think expanding to 14 teams is a good idea as long as the new clubs have the stadiums & finance to be sustainable.
Those missing out could form a second division with top 2 clubs being promoted after say 3-4 years to make a 16 team A League.
Then the top NPL clubs could be invited to also join to make a 14 or 16 team 2nd division.

Darwin is an interesting choice. They used to play in the Singapore League once upon a time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Cubs_FC
I`d love to see them in the A League.
Also, it wouldn`t be a bad area to have a talent scout as they have a large immigrant population of Brits, Irish, Sth Afrians etc

There is no shortage of areas and clubs that are interested in a HAL position or a second division even without the NPL clubs that have been prepared to stump up cash to lose in this round of expansion. I think the medium term goal (5 - 10 years) needs to be 2 professional divisions of 16 teams and a semi-pro division above the state NPLs with clubs who aim to compete as a professional club in the top two divisions. Connect them with the existing State NPLs with P & R and you have a proper football pyramid.

greenlig

I reckon Tassie should get one. Yes, slightly one-eyed, but as an area with a thriving football culture, and one of the best away trips you can get, it has to be right up there. Tasmanians are tribal, the club would be very well supported. Hell it'll get me to drop in and visit my parents more often!

adz

Staff member
I reckon Tassie should get one. Yes, slightly one-eyed, but as an area with a thriving football culture, and one of the best away trips you can get, it has to be right up there. Tasmanians are tribal, the club would be very well supported. Hell it'll get me to drop in and visit my parents more often!

We just got back from a quick holiday down in Tassie. Would love to go there for some away games. Oysters, cheese, whiskey, craft beer and football... what else do you need? :D

greenlig

We just got back from a quick holiday down in Tassie. Would love to go there for some away games. Oysters, cheese, whiskey, craft beer and football... what else do you need? :D
It really is hitting it's straps right now. Tassie United V Mariners away would make me cry I reckon.

Offsider

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/named-and-famed-all-15-a-league-expansion-bids-491692

With the nominations for expansion of the A League now public, I thought a discussion might pass the time.

It`s interesting that 15 nominations have been submitted although I was surprised that Brisbane Strikers withdrew their nomination as they would have have had a good chance.
Looking at the NSW nominations:-

CAMPBELLTOWN - 50 kilometres south-west of Sydney's CBD, a NSW bid based at the 20,000 capacity Campbelltown Sports Stadium. Backed by billionaire property developer Lang Walker with Brett Emerton as Bid Ambassador.
I must admit I have a bias for this one as I am a former Chairman of Macarthur Rams. However, geographically it would be an ideal contender. The Macarthur area is a rapidly expanding region, locked in between Badgery`s creek airport (Penrith),Western Sydney,Sutherland & Wollongong.
It already has a 20,000 capacity stadium located next to Leumeah railway station and is only a minute drive from the M5 freeway. The Macarthur Rams are currently in NPL2 & the local Association boasts over 11,000 registered players. Bid ambassador Brett Emmerton is a local lad as is ex socceroos David Carney,Matt Thompson & Paul Reid.Current Matildas player Alanna Kennedy is also a local along with ex Matildas Heather Garriock & Sarah Walsh just to name a few.
This could be the dark horse of the submissions as they are located far enough away from Sydney FC (1Hr) & Wanderers (1hr) & also Wollongong (1hr) if that bid is successful.

SOUTH-WEST SYDNEY - Based in Liverpool, west of Sydney. A new A-League bid aiming to take advantage of South-West Sydney's growing population, infrastructure projects and city planning.
Basically a bid by Southern Districts Football Association. Although Liverpool is growing as a business centre, there is no stadium there as yet. The location is classed as part of western Sydney so there would be some conflict there as well as with Sydney FC which is only about 40mins away.

SOUTHERN EXPANSION - Aiming to represent the Sutherland, St George and Illawarra regions, will play its home games at three separate venues. Backed by a Chinese / Hong Kong-based investor.
An interesting submission. From all accounts a new stadium is to be built at Loftus to accomodate the franchise. Money seems to be no object. This is a strong football community with NPL clubs Sutherland , Rockdale Suns & Wollongong Wolves within it`s catchment area as well as many NPL2 & 3 clubs.
The location would be the biggest drawback though, with it`s close proximity to Sydney FC (30mins). If accepted it would almost certainly be the death-knell for Wollongong as a stand alone ALeague club.

WOLLONGONG WOLVES - Another former NSL heavyweight led by CEO Chris Papakosmas, based at 18,000 capacity WIN Stadium. Adam Federici is Bid Ambassador.
A similar region to our own in size & population & a former successful NSL club. It already has it`s stadium (beside the beach) at Wollongong & is close to rail /road transport. Wollongong is also seen as the regional centre of southeast NSW & as such has a huge catchment area extending down to the border. An ideal location (1hr) from Sydney FC, ( 2hrs) from Wanderers & 45mins from Macarthur. A sentimental favourite.

TASMANIA

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

ADELAIDE 11 - Backed by former NSL club Adelaide City despite their previous uncertainty over viability and based out of West Adelaide, reportedly aiming to play at Cooper's Stadium.
Another former NSL club seeking admission to the A League. This appears to be one of the weaker bids with Adelaide City seeking to share Adelaide United`s ground. Not sure of it`s financial capacity but with Damien Mori involved anything is possible.

QUEENSLAND

BRISBANE CITY - The only Brisbane-based bid due to Brisbane Strikers' withdrawal. Led by former politician and CEO Robert Cavalucci, based at 19,000 capacity Ballymore Stadium.
Whist Queensland deserve another team due to the Roar`s success i`m not sure this is the one we need. Very little information other than the ground location.

GOLD COAST UNITED - Former A-League club that had its licence revoked in 2012 under the former ownership of Clive Palmer, based at 27,000 capacity Robina Stadium.
The Gold Coast is a very strong football community with well established local clubs.
It`s a large,well populated area with a fantastic Stadium.The biggest plus for this bid is that Clive Palmer has nothing to do with it.

WESTERN PRIDE - Provisional Ipswich bid launched by Queensland NPL club Western Pride, currently based at 5,000 capacity North Ipswich Reserve.
Could this be the Wanderers Queensland style? A successful NPL side with players currently feeding into the Roar & Mariners. The stadium would need to be upgraded as it only has a limited capacity & is shared with the local rugby league team.With a projected population of 430,000 by 2031 it may be a bit ambitious & premature at this stage.

AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY

CANBERRA - Another late bid, unrevealed whether it has direct links with W-League side Canberra United. Canberra based backers, based at 25,000 capacity Canberra Stadium.
Canberra would be good for the A League as it`s a single city bid with Territory Govt backing & a large catchment area.The biggest drawback though would be it`s perceived isolation, but with a very strong WSL team it could be a goer.

WESTERN AUSTRALIA

FREMANTLE CITY - Reportedly sharing Perth Glory's 20,000 capacity nib Stadium and launched separately to existing W.A NPL club Fremantle City.

A real roughie. Whilst Perth could handle another team I don`t think the FFA will look favourably on this bid. A shared stadium with Glory isn`t ideal & Fremantle City taking the title from another club doesn`t look good

VICTORIA

TEAM 11 - Dandenong-based bid represented by local councillors and former Herald Sun journalist Matt Windley. Provisional plans for a boutique stadium next to Dandenong Station.
No stadium as yet & very little information?

SOUTH MELBOURNE - Former NSL heavyweights and four-time national champions, the Oceania Club of the Century is based at the 12,000 capacity Lakeside Stadium.
Probably one of the favourites for inclusion. SM is a former NSL club with a large following.Their inclusion could breakdown some of the divisions between the old NSL & the A League.They have the money,the basis of a team & have a stadium (abeit in need of an upgrade) only problem is they also play in blue.

WEST MELBOURNE - Reportedly the relocation of a Geelong-based bid to represent Melbourne's western suburbs, sparked interest by announcing it could fund its own A-League stadium.
Another serious contender with plenty of money apparently.Not sure where they would play whilst the stadium is being built. I wonder if they play in blue?

BELGRAVIA LEISURE - Geoff Lord's late-bid for an A-League club based in inner Melbourne, stadium plans yet to be announced.
No Idea about this one

I’m always up for a discussion that is aside from the political aspects that ffa would want to sell .......... even if it is a “bit” biased and I use that loosely..........

I hope that the ffa don’t push for the large stadiums and allow the colour and atmosphere prevail over the echo of empty seats. Ffa are dedicated to making the sfc franchise the flagship of australian football whereas if campbelltown and wollongong were added it would assist in establishing sydney interest in the league rather than being forced to only having two teams to align with. Also a more cost effective list of games. You only have to look at the boost in numbers when sfc and wanderers visit which would add to the butts on seats figures.

Adding two clubs to melbourne would also have the same effect.

Wombat

I'd like to see Tassie 1st and Wollongong 2nd. And i'd make the away trip to both. Sydney and Melbourne dont really need another team and Bling's numbers are poor already.
A 2nd team in Brisbane does make sense.
Gold Coast's numbers were very poor even when they had a glamourous team....well they had Culina etc.

Gratis

Gallop has made it quite clear he only likes big fish. Shame because the game needs the regional clubs (like us) - particularly over the long term.

Hope expansion decisions factor this in, but...

Big Al

It just shows how inept FFA are.

They are hanging on for power and are trying to give the football fans something but at an absolute minimum.

14 teams over home and away gives you 28 rounds. Perfect plus finals.

Foxtel and Gallop are so tight trying to work out where one ends and the other starts is impossible.

Is it fox or Gallop or Lowy that is blocking 4 teams. Your only need to do this once. Not again in 5 yrs.

Even if they said 2 next year and 2 in 2 more years if they are worried about a player drain. Then set up the second division in say 3 yrs and Promtion and relegation in say 7-8 yrs once the new teams are up and running and the 2nd division running smoothly.

But FFA will stuff it up.

Agree Southern Expansion will buy there way in

Tevor

Tassie would be an awesome away day.
I would like to see Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane (not Gold Coast) all have two teams eventually. Tassie would be nice just don’t see Fox and FFA having it though. Regional Vic is a long shot as well as us and the Jets (take out they made the GF this year) haven’t done regional areas any favours at all the last 4 years. This is why the Wolves will miss out to the Southern expansion who like others also think is almost guaranteed one of the spots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami