• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A-League affecting Basketball

midfielder

Interesting article about the A-league coverage and Basketball from the herald sun

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23392992-10914,00.html

CONCERNS that Foxtel is about to withdraw its coverage of the NBL has plunged the league's future into doubt and hindered the Bullets' hopes of securing a new owner................

..............Talk that Foxtel is considering pulling its coverage in favour of beefing up its A-League coverage is creating problems for clubs seeking owners and sponsors right across the league.

Bear

I went to a kings game this year at the kingdome, about 3,000 people there, and 3 people yelling stuff out, it was f**king terrible. Its sad for bball if it happens, but if it benifits my beautiful game, then im happy

midfielder

Bearinator said:
I went to a kings game this year at the kingdome, about 3,000 people there, and 3 people yelling stuff out, it was f**king terrible. Its sad for bball if it happens, but if it benifits my beautiful game, then im happy

I suppose I am happy too, but I wonder with the seven year fox deal having little Free to air coverage and being a pay TV product in the main can over that time span create problems?????

S

soccersensei

What are they actually going to beef up the coverage with??
Maybe when the expansion happens in 09 I guess...

Jesus

Jesus
midfielder said:
Bearinator said:

I suppose I am happy too, but I wonder with the seven year fox deal having little Free to air coverage and being a pay TV product in the main can over that time span create problems?????

I am pro not showing games on free to air, bar maybe a game of the week, and highlights show. Purely so that more people head to the games.

When the 7 years is up, even with the 2 expansions, the new teams will have had time to convert fans. After the 7 years, free to air will no doubt be priority

dibo

Football will never be all on FTA, and will always be a mostly Pay TV prospect. This is no different to the other major football codes.

The AFL rights are owned by FTA networks, but half the games are shown exclusively on Pay TV even in Victoria.

The NRL rights are owned by an FTA network and more than half of the games are shown on Pay TV.

Fox will probably look to maintain ownership and control over football's rights, though that doesn't mean that some on-sell arrangement (with the agreement of the FFA) to FTA will not happen.

Even if an FTA network buys the rights, expect to see a majority of games on Fox as long as a satisfactory deal is worked out between the two.

Basketball... I went to game 5 last week, 10,000 people there and as much atmosphere as the moon...

bjw

bjw
The NRL: 16 Teams, the apparent 'national sport' only shows 3 Free To Air matches a week.

If A-League got one/two  games on SBS, then on average there would be more A-League on FTA tv then NRL..

~Floss~

brennan said:
The NRL: 16 Teams, the apparent 'national sport' only shows 3 Free To Air matches a week.

If A-League got one/two  games on SBS, then on average there would be more A-League on FTA tv then NRL..

Remember, Rugby League is only considered the "apparent 'national sport'" by people from NSW & Qld.

Auburn Mariner

The NBL has been running since the late 1970's.

Yes, Basketball is in some strife in this country. If Fox pulls the plug, they are stuffed.

This country has room for a really good Basketball League. The three most-played sports in the world are Football, Tenpin Bowling and Basketball. Basketball is clearly a world-game of some stature.

I hope that it survives. The Kings are in real financial trouble, so I truly hope they can get back on a even keel.

On the "affecting" or "effecting" issue, please see this quote from Dictionary.com (Dibo is right, again!):

tr.v.  effected, effecting, effects

1. To bring into existence.
  2. To produce as a result.
  3. To bring about.

[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin effectus, from past participle of efficere, to accomplish : ex-, ex- + facere, to make; see dhē- in Indo-European roots.]

Cheerio,

AM

Auburn Mariner

~Floss~ said:
brennan said:

Remember, Rugby League is only considered the "apparent 'national sport'" by people from NSW & Qld.

WHATTTT???? I'm from NSW and I ABSOLUTELY KNOW that we have 4 National games:

Football
Australian Rules
Cricket
Netball

Rugby League is a great game but it is clearly NOT our National Sport. Queenslanders' opinions on absolutely anything are completely irrelevant, and try telling anyone south of the Murrumbidgee or west of the Macquarie that League is Number 1 in NSW; you get a less polite version of "go forth and self-fornicate".

~Floss~

Auburn Mariner said:
WHATTTT???? I'm from NSW and I ABSOLUTELY KNOW that we have 4 National games:

Football
Australian Rules
Cricket
Netball

Rugby League is a great game but it is clearly NOT our National Sport.

I agree completely; I also would not list RL in the top 4 "national sports"of australia.
IMO your suggested alternatives are spot on Auburn (and I am also from NSW).  ;)

What I meant was, any sheltered/misguded individuals who were somehow led to believe that RL rates as a 'national sport', surely must have not seen much of the 'nation' other than the small portion where league is even in contention, i.e. certain sections of eastern NSW & Qld.

~Floss~ said:
brennan said:

Remember, Rugby League is only considered the "apparent 'national sport'" by SOME people from NSW & Qld.
Would that have made it clearer?

FFC Mariner

RL is thought of as a massive, national sport by the Telegraph and Ch9 (hon mention to 2UE/2GB). The rest of the country thinks it is a variation of Union played in certain sections of NSW & QLD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred