• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

10 years on - Republic Referendum, November 6 1999

dibo

Anyone else remember the republic referendum ten years ago?

It was the first national poll I voted in. I was still in primary school when Paul Keating made the first big push to get a republic discussed, while a banker and lawyer called Malcolm Turnbull headed the Australian Republican Movement.

It just kinda made sense to me that we should have an Australian as our Head of State. I have never been comfortable with the idea that we're an independent nation but that our head of state, the person on all of our coins and the top right corner of our flag are all from another country.

I quite liked the minimalist model - there's nothing inherently wrong with our system of government. I don't even mind the idea of simply cutting the tie to Britain and that being the end of it, so that the Governor-General continues to be appointed in the same fashion and performing exactly the same functions as before (though codifying the 'reserve' powers to prevent another 1975 would be good).

But then when it came down to it, republicans couldn't unite over one model and the monarchists sought to run a scare campaign about the Policiticians' President. Never mind the fact that the Queen got her position by birthright and the GG at present is selected by the PM alone.

Since then there's been talk about when to go again, and now we have a Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition who are both moderate republicans. Surely it's time to take stock of 1999 and have another go?

Incidentally, Dobell voted Yes: 42.54%, No: 57.46%.
Robertson voted Yes: 43.98%, No: 56.02%.

marinermick

Howard deliberately hijacked the referendum by putting up an unpopular model, though I thought it was the model that made pretty good sense - one that the parliament voted for the President, the President taking the GG role and nothing else really changes in our system of government.

I would hate for the President job be one in which we vote for. Then we may see someone like John Farnham or Ray Martin become President. One in which the most popular person takes over the role.

I would be voting "yes" again if the vote ever comes around.

In our vastly developed multicultural society in which our citizens are made up of many cultures and values it makes no sense that our head of state be a monarch residing on the other side of the planet.

Tassiemariner

I will be over 18 when this referendum is brought up again and i will be voting "yes".

Even though I am of British heritage via the "Ten Pound Poms" scheme I don't see looking into the future what we Britian for.
Since the Fall of Singapore we haven't needed them in immediate defence, Since the slight failure of the Ten Pound Pome scheme we haven't needed them for immigration and since Britain's acceptance into the EU and emergence of APEC, ASEAN etc, we haven't needed them for trade purposes.

I agree  with MM 100% in that "In our vastly developed multicultural society in which our citizens are made up of many cultures and values it makes no sense that our head of state be a monarch residing on the other side of the planet".

hasbeen

Cost is the issue unfortunately ... it costs millions to run a referendum. Surely there are politicians out there smart enough to just push the thing through, I mean they managed to drop the oath of allegiance (to the Queen) in State Parliaments and Citizenship ....

FFC Mariner

Yes

President to be elected by a 75% majority by both houses of Parliament removes political bias and stops some GayFL footballer getting it.

David Votoupal

No, adopt a branch of a European royal house as our own.

FWIW the two best monarchs of our time have been:
Olav V of Norway- they didn't call him the "People's King" for nothing, the Norwegians absolutely loved him. Sent his kids to public school, even took public transport with his subjects during the gas crunch, etc.

Juan Carlos of Spain- make no mistake, he is a modern legend, for overseeing Spain become a democracy.

David Votoupal

FFC Mariner said:
serious14 said:
David Votoupal said:
A "Third Way" would be to establish an Australian monarchy.

Make that Hutt River guy from W.A. King - he knows the way forward.  ;)

Nope, Royals are for shootin. Lenin knew what to do with the parasites

Saying that when it's been 20 years since half of Europe was liberated from the vile doctrine of Marx and Lenin? I have absolutely no words for that...

The Soviets still have a lot to answer for, from illegally occupying the Baltic states for 50 years, to wartime atrocities, to imposing their doctrine onto an unwilling population in Central and Eastern Europe, causing a flight of people to the four corners of the world.

FFC Mariner

David Votoupal said:
FFC Mariner said:
serious14 said:
David Votoupal said:

Make that Hutt River guy from W.A. King - he knows the way forward.  ;)

Nope, Royals are for shootin. Lenin knew what to do with the parasites

Saying that when it's been 20 years since half of Europe was liberated from the vile doctrine of Marx and Lenin? I have absolutely no words for that...

The Soviets still have a lot to answer for, from illegally occupying the Baltic states for 50 years, to wartime atrocities, to imposing their doctrine onto an unwilling population in Central and Eastern Europe, causing a flight of people to the four corners of the world.

What have the Romans ever done for us?

dibo

David Votoupal said:

of all the ridiculous ideas i've ever heard, this takes the cake.

if that's the solution you're proposing, you're answering the wrong question.

FFC Mariner

C'mon Dibo be fair

A bloated Plutocrat grabs power and bends everyone to his/her will?

Rupert? James? Palmer?

Bet they wouldnt be stupid enough to rule from Canberra though

midfielder

What about Queen Mary of Denmark ...

We must become a republic or get Queen Mary one or the other...

Also always remember we are or me at least (in the words of Marc Boland of T Rex)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgcxd9wtXUE

serious14

midfielder said:
What about Queen Mary of Denmark ...

Related (by marriage) to that lot in Buckingham Palace through some ridiculously crazy family tree connections.... interesting reading, but a freaky amount of inbreeding at the same time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred