• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

1 year

Forum Phoenix

LiverpoolMariners said:
Roy Law said:
RL is the football code that requires the least skill to play and the least intelligence to understand. Most of the players are not required to have any skill: just tackle, take a tackle and, if we are really lucky, offload. It doesn't even have the constant physical competition for the ball that RU has. And if you can count to six, and some can't, then you can understand it.
Still a good game though, esp State of Origin.

Have you played League? It's more physical than RU, because remember that your modern-day Union game is constantly being stopped for scrums, penalties, line-outs and whetever other infringements the ref wants to penalise. It's made a farce of the game. It's also the reason virtually nobody has successfully made the switch from Union to League in the past 15 years, yet plenty of ex-NRL players have coped fairly well in the 15-a-side game.

In League, you need to be powerful, evasive and in peak physical condition if you want to survive in the fowards. You also need to be able to complete an effective 1 on 1 tackle, or you'll be history. If you're in the halves, you need a great passing game in both directions, a sharp kicking game, the ability to make strategic plays and 'plot' the attack several plays in advance. If you're in the backs, you need speed, power, physical endurance and the ability to back-up your team-mate if they make a break down field.
LiverpoolMariners said:
Roy Law said:
RL is the football code that requires the least skill to play and the least intelligence to understand. Most of the players are not required to have any skill: just tackle, take a tackle and, if we are really lucky, offload. It doesn't even have the constant physical competition for the ball that RU has. And if you can count to six, and some can't, then you can understand it.
Still a good game though, esp State of Origin.

Have you played League? It's more physical than RU, because remember that your modern-day Union game is constantly being stopped for scrums, penalties, line-outs and whetever other infringements the ref wants to penalise. It's made a farce of the game. It's also the reason virtually nobody has successfully made the switch from Union to League in the past 15 years, yet plenty of ex-NRL players have coped fairly well in the 15-a-side game.

In League, you need to be powerful, evasive and in peak physical condition if you want to survive in the fowards. You also need to be able to complete an effective 1 on 1 tackle, or you'll be history. If you're in the halves, you need a great passing game in both directions, a sharp kicking game, the ability to make strategic plays and 'plot' the attack several plays in advance. If you're in the backs, you need speed, power, physical endurance and the ability to back-up your team-mate if they make a break down field.

Laegue more physical than Union? You avin a laff?
Not the games I watch.

Atomic

Forum Phoenix said:
Laegue more physical than Union? You avin a laff?
Not the games I watch.

I haven't been reading this thread because it no longer interests me but this comment caught my eye.

A mate of mine used to play first grade for Eastwood. He was in the forwards. Ten years ago he played a trial match for the Bulldogs and he couldn't believe how much more demanding RL is than RU. He said he was so sore, he couldn't get out of bed the following day - and this guy is no wimp.

Incidently, he continued his rugby career with Brothers in Townsville until he was 40. I doubt too many first grade RL forwards can still perform at a relatively high level at that age.

dibo

i think union's more athletic for the forwards (and yes, i'm serious). the forwards don't get time off - they're basically in at every breakdown. there's no 'one out and straight up' bit where you have one run and then rest up in attack, whether attacking or defending the forwards are in the thick of it in union. for this reason and the fact that they're hitting from closer range rather than from a run-up, each hit is going to be less hard. it's more about the endurance than the sheer power of it.

that said, i can't stand watching it because it's f**king dull. i'll watch rugby league and follow the dragons, but it doesn't hold a candle to football and the mariners.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred