• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Live stream Mariners V Jest from Mudgee

style_cafe

Are the live streams going to continue when we aren`t on FOX?
The coverage is great & the quality far better than other channels that are constantly interupted by ads.

nearlyyellow

Are the live streams going to continue when we aren`t on FOX?
The coverage is great & the quality far better than other channels that are constantly interupted by ads.
I think you'll find that Foxtel have the rights to all HAL games and as such would be unwilling to allow any streaming by 3rd. parties. :(
(Notice how polite my language is here when mentioning Foxtel coverage. :) I may have been a little, how shall I put it, intemperate in my language choices when previously commenting about Foxtel :cool: )

Roy Law

Without Foxtel there would not be an A League; there would be no Central Coast Mariners. So while watching streams is good, and not watching some FFA games is bad, I am rather grateful to Foxtel :)

nearlyyellow

if only they were slightly cheaper...I mean its either mariners memberships and groceries or Foxtel.
I do sympathise.Only so many $'s to go the distance :( and economic choices rule out Foxtel.

From Nov/Dec Foxtel are slashing their prices to $50/m for the a package that includes sport.
It used to cost somewhere over $80 :eek: to get a package that included Sports. But you're right, from Nov 2014 you'll be able to get the "basic" package for $25 and add on the Sports for $25. What that really means to me is that I would cost me $50 to get the Sports because there's very little else worth watching. :headbutt: If they offered say a $5 per game pay-to-view only I *might* go for that. But as for what's on offer, no, it's still I don't think so.

sydmariner

I would imagine the sports pack doesn't come with setanta which is the channel that most of the good soccer is on

dibo

If you're only willing to put up with A-League, EPL, FA Cup, La Liga, MLS, Europa League and Champions League, then yeah, I suppose you need to shell out for Setanta so you can get Championship, League Cup, Bundesliga, SPL, Copa Sudamerica and Copa Libertadores...

nearlyyellow

:soapbox: You know, converts from other sports such as me (and hopefully there will be many, many more) don't have the long standing devotion and knowledge of the code that you blokes have. It would be an absolute waste for a relatively recent convert like me to pay to have available all those leagues.
I am very happy to be a fan following my local team. I am very happy to be vitally interested in the HAL and all the other teams. I am very happy to follow the Australian teams, Socceroos, Matildas, the Young Socceroos and Matildas and all the Australian Rep. teams. But there's a limit to my current knowledge of all the leagues you mentioned. First and foremost I am an Australian football follower, and as a recent convert I am a product of all the hard work put in by FFA over the last 10 years.
The trouble is, I believe, a lot of "old" football followers in this country are rooted to the lore that all overseas footy is better than Australian football and that is where they focus, to some extent.
Well I beg to differ. If you want Australian football to vigorously grow and prosper then you need more and more converted fans like me. Because Australian football will stagnate or revert to the state it was in prior to 10 years ago.

Sorry, long post. :D But if you read it I hope you can at least get a glimmer of what I'm trying to say. :)

nearlyyellow

I accept that dibo. I missed the very esoteric " ... " which you did put there to denote sarcasm. Not used much on boards with smilies. :)
However, I do believe in what I posted above. You posted elsewhere that we might be seen as having "paranoia" if we say that "it's all a deep dark plot and they are out to get us" ;) We just can't pass over that there's more truth to that than saying it in a lighthearted way.
There *are* powerful forces arraigned against the expansion of Australian football, both financial and the political clout that financial might can engender. The other 3 main football codes have deeply embedded themselves in the lifestyle of Australia and it's not going to be easy to even partially unwind that. We can't just rely on family enlargement to expand the sport, the other codes have that going for them too.

At this point I might remind you to view or re-view middy's post of this enlightening video:

There's a lot of truths there. The MSM still portrays our football as ethnically derived and subject to violence. And this problem must be overcome to promote the sport further in Australia. However it is very encouraging to see that "regional tribalism" is coming to the fore in football. CCM and WSW are two shining examples of regional tribalism. They are giants, we are minnows. We have embraced the community and I believe that the benefits are yet to be fully realised. I don't have any in depth knowledge of WSW's community engagement but I assume they do the same, but they are up against the sheer size of their demographic. So as far as community penetration of football there is no better weapon to use than regional tribalism. It's how Rugby League and VFL gained such inroads into the Australian psyche over the years.

Just a small example, last season we took some country friends to CCS for round 16 vs. the Jets. They are NRL supporters, long term Rugby League supporters, Rabbitos, and saw football (soccer) as something that little kids do at school, and when they grow up they'll play "proper" football (RL). But they were absolutely blown away by the noise and vibrancy of the CCM v. Jets game, the Yellow Army, the band, the banner ( ... dead rather than ... ) all of the colour and excitement that being at our game gives a fan. "Well that was something different" they said, thanks for taking us. But, it won't convert them to our code. See what we're up against.

You could go on forever on this topic, and it probably already has been and will be written and argued about for years to come. But remember what I've tried to point out, I believe that "regional tribalism" not "ethnicity" is the basis on which Australian football has it's main opportunity to expand and gain acceptance in the MSM and the Australian community.

Sorry, keyboard ran away from me. I'll shut up now. :headbounce:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred