• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Zidane cancels Australian visit

fedelta

Not sure if this is anywhere else.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN exhibition match in Sydney involving Zinedine Zidane has been cancelled after the former soccer superstar pulled out for "personal reasons".

Zidane was to have been the star attraction at Sydney Football Stadium on Sunday, leading a team featuring a number of teammates from the French side that won the 1998 World Cup, including Marcel Desailly and Robert Pires, against a side from Australia's 1997 World Cup qualifying squad.

But event managers, Octagon Sports Marketing, released a statement saying the match was off and tickets already purchased through Ticketek would be fully refunded.

Zinedine Zidane regrettably has had to cancel his upcoming Australian tour due to personal reasons, with a view of rescheduling at a later date, Octagon said in a statement.

An Octagon spokeswoman believed many people would have sought refunds if the match had gone ahead with Zidane.

It would be like going to see L.A. Galaxy without Beckham, she said.

Promoter Alain Barataud said he was expecting a call from Zidane to confirm whether or not he will still come to Australia.

I'm expecting a call from him (Friday) morning to confirm Sunday or Monday, Barataud said.

Zidane retired in 2006 after a long and distinguished career with France and at club level with Real Madrid and Juventus.

kepo

BIG GAYNESS

::) ::) ::) ::) :p ::)

~Floss~

james_sfc said:
BIG GAYNESS

::) ::) ::) ::) :p ::)

So, in other words, there'd be about 72,000 less people in the crowd

Mariner Girl

So dummy here (me) buys a ticket during the week because Tony and Aurelio Vidmar are playing and I 'm jumping for joy - one last time to see Viddie play  :vhappy:
Then this news smacks me in the face this afternoon - NOT HAPPY JAN  :mad:

brett

nothin to do with ZZ. pretty obvious reading between the lines on this that there was f all interest, f all tickets sold and f all sense in going ahead with the game with <10k there.

Shame that it was scheduled in a week where football has made all the headlines. They even put a story with Grella saying "yeh....we're looking forward to playing Iraq" as the top article on smh.com.au. In a week where there is no A-League, no socceroos and no controversy, this could have got quite a lot of interest and been a nice boost for football.

Jolly_Roger

I have no time or interest in these types of games which have been organised by independant organisations looking to make a buck on the back of stars.

Some in this forum probably have long memories. The game reminds me of some of the games organised in the old Soccer Australia days. The rights to these types of games and friendlies were held by independant promotional organisations.

These organisations would then try and jag a star and use them as the nucleus of their promotions. Players such as Kewell for example used to be dragged over the coals by the public because he wasnt making himself available to appear in these friendlies for Australia. He stated through that it wasnt because he didnt want to appear for the green and gold, but because he had no interest in lining the pockets of these independant organisations trying to cash in on their name. Remember the game against brazil several years ago where big names such as kewell and ronaldo were being used to promote game. Tickets were sold, the big names used in the promotion didnt show, and in the end the game was put on for free if i remember correctly. 

I hope the promoters have lost a bomb on it. These games, and the people who organise them, should be removed from Australia's football landscape unless they are organised throught the FFA, or are for charity.

kepo

maybe we should,
also taylor is moving,
so he will be a Boronia Park Mariner*
but that isn't a suburb so i don't know wats goin to happen,
will hav a disscussion about this important matter asap

EDIT: Typeo

kevrenor

james_sfc said:
also taylor is moving,
so he will be a Boronia Park Mariner*
but that isn't a suburb so i don't know wats goin to happen
Yes it is, I used to live in the next one - Gladesville

Mariner Girl

I called Ticketek yesterday morning to get my refund - they complied. I am not holding my breathe for the rescheduled???? match.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred